Centrelink approves OAP in 15 days

My wife (Thai) arrived in Australia on the 14 February after living in Thailand for the last 7 years and applied for the OAP on the day of our arrival and it has been approved today, 1 March. 

She will receive the full OAP, married rate, and needs to stay in Australia for 2 years to gain portability.

Very impressed with Centrelink for a speedy approval

• Like 2

I have been in Thailand now for 35 years, got married had several businesses and paid lots of taxes and been a model person all these years and still I'm a pariah in this land, a non grata persona with not even a remote chance of getting old age pension, (not that i need it)

• Like 2

I got a call from Centrelink 18 days after submitting online at a Centrelink office to say my OAP full rate was approved. First payment including backpay to submission date was in my Oz bank the next day after approval.

Nowadays OAP applications are not processed at local C'link offices, processing of all applcations is by computer in Canberra.

Mine was approved at 18 days from submission.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 5:06 PM, ezzra said:

I have been in Thailand now for 35 years, got married had several businesses and paid lots of taxes and been a model person all these years and still I'm a pariah in this land, a non grata persona with not even a remote chance of getting old age pension, (not that i need it)

You obviously don't pass the assets test so the OAP is not available to you as you are a self funded retiree.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ozfarang said:

You obviously don't pass the assets test so the OAP is not available to you as you are a self funded retiree.

I think what the member was getting at was he has lived and worked in Thailand for 35 years, and paid tax along the way, and employed people who also paid tax, but will never see 1 baht of government money by way of a benefit go his way, yet your wife flies in after 7 years away, and 2 weeks later receives a pension.

Easy for a Thai lady in Australia to get a pension, many of whom have never worked or paid tax in Australia, yet a farang, after decades of working in Thailand,  will never see 1 baht of government assistance, ever.  

• Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 4:06 PM, ezzra said:

You would think at least citizenship to not have to worry with all the immigration <deleted>

2 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Big assumption there KH. My wife, Australian citizen, worked in Australia for 28 years and did in fact pay tax for all those years.

Now she receives the pension. Is there a problem with this?

I didn't assume anything.

Did you see I used the word "many" and not "all?" 

Do you deny there are many Thai ladies, note, I used the word "many" and not "all" that have never worked in Australia, yet by marriage, qualify for a pension in Australia?   

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, whereyougo said:

You would think at least citizenship to not have to worry with all the immigration <deleted>

Maybe. Is working in Thailand 35 years an 'automatic' route to Thai citizenship?

All countries have prescribed factors which must be 'ticked' to gain approval for citizenship, and I suggest it's not desireable for 'make your own rules' to be part of the process. 

A simple further example: To gain the OAP there's laid down parameters / tests etc., which must be met and they aren't flexible.  

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 7:57 PM, scorecard said:

Maybe. Is working in Thailand 35 years an 'automatic' route to Thai citizenship?

All countries have prescribed factors which must be 'ticked' to gain approval for citizenship, and I suggest it's not desireable for 'make your own rules' to be part of the process. 

A simple further example: To gain the OAP there's laid down parameters / tests etc., which must be met and they aren't flexible.  

The ticks lead to permanent residency in most western countries. Thailand has no ticks its just never going to happen for most of us. I would work through those ticks but it's usually just a flat no chance and of course they have the right but it's not really fair when western countries will allow a Thai full benefits Maybe the west should ban residency as its not reciprocated here . Now do you get it? 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, scorecard said:

So what is a Certificate of Residency?

It's just a piece of paper that should be free, although many have to pay 300 baht, that simply states, officially, that you live at a certain address.  They are commonly used for drivers / riders licenses and registering vehicles, where a proper address for a foreigner must be established.  

They have nothing to do with Citizenship, Permanent Residency, and visas. 

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

It's just a piece of paper that should be free, although many have to pay 300 baht, that simply states, officially, that you live at a certain address.  They are commonly used for drivers / riders licenses and registering vehicles, where a proper address for a foreigner must be established.  

They have nothing to do with Citizenship, Permanent Residency, and visas. 

You're wrong, but of course you couldn't be wrong your such an expert.

• Sad 1

On 3/5/2023 at 6:33 AM, whereyougo said:

Maybe the west should ban residency as its not reciprocated here . Now do you get it? 

They shouldn't ban Thai's from permanent residency or citizenship, just make it the same criteria as Thailand has for foreigners.  :smile: