Paying car tax online

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If the car is over 5 years old it will need 'testing' for want of a better word.

And in my case, the testing station processes the Tax Disc, ready the next day.

You can still do it online if you want. The data from the testing station is connected to the central system. You can get it done and then when you get home it will show up in the online system. You don't have to go back to the testing station. It takes a few days to get the disc by registered post though.  

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

You can still do it online if you want. The data from the testing station is connected to the central system. You can get it done and then when you get home it will show up in the online system. You don't have to go back to the testing station. It takes a few days to get the disc by registered post though.  

Does the insurance get sent also?

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You put that in yourself. Can't remember now if it was uploading a photo file or putting in some code from the insurance document. There's also an option to pay for the insurance at the time if you need to do that. 

1 hour ago, KhaoNiaw said:

You put that in yourself. Can't remember now if it was uploading a photo file or putting in some code from the insurance document. There's also an option to pay for the insurance at the time if you need to do that. 

Sounds complicated, usually you get the compulsory insurance same time as the tax if going to office

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds complicated, usually you get the compulsory insurance same time as the tax if going to office

It's extremely simple.
I already have the compulsory tax from renewing my insurance a couple of months earlier so just provide the evidence and pay the tax online. After the first time, the details of your vehicle are retained in the system so you don't need to key in any vehicle information. Takes less than 2 minutes.
If you have more than one vehicle, you can add others to the same account. You can also add other people's vehicles (your wife's for example). 
If you need the compulsory insurance with the tax, you just tick the box and add it to the online payment. Takes 2 minutes.
The disc is sent to your home address by registered post. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, KhaoNiaw said:

It's extremely simple.
I already have the compulsory tax from renewing my insurance a couple of months earlier so just provide the evidence and pay the tax online. After the first time, the details of your vehicle are retained in the system so you don't need to key in any vehicle information. Takes less than 2 minutes.
If you have more than one vehicle, you can add others to the same account. You can also add other people's vehicles (your wife's for example). 
If you need the compulsory insurance with the tax, you just tick the box and add it to the online payment. Takes 2 minutes.

Thay sounds better. Any link? no ones posted it yet

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

So, if older than 5 yrs you gotta go to the testing shop, then go online and do their job? I don't get how this is any easier. 

You misunderstand the process. It's not their job to go and pay the tax for you. But many of them provide this additional service for an additional fee. You can pay the tax yourself and once the test station has entered it into the system you can do it online without any MOT documentation.
For some it may be more convenient to let the test station take the documents to a DLT office and then go back and pick the tax disc up. For me, it's more convenient to go to the test station on a Saturday. Then I can go home and deal with the tax online. The tax disc arrives before the end of the week and I don't need to go and pick it up the following Saturday. 

Incidentally, it's after 7 years that cars need to go in for an MOT and 5 years for motorcycles. 

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

So, if older than 5 yrs you gotta go to the testing shop, then go online and do their job? I don't get how this is any easier. 

Cars over 7 years old need testing not 5.....

22 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

It's extremely simple.

Can you choose the address they post it to or do they only send it to the address the car is registered at?

I haven't updated my car registration address for years as I can't be bothered with the mountains of paperwork they probably require to update it...along with the chaos at Chatuchak DLT.

9 minutes ago, matchar said:

Can you choose the address they post it to or do they only send it to the address the car is registered at?

I haven't updated my car registration address for years as I can't be bothered with the mountains of paperwork they probably require to update it...along with the chaos at Chatuchak DLT.

You can have a different mailing address. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/2/2023 at 2:16 PM, scubascuba3 said:

You can buy the insurance 'online' from DLT's website, it get sent in email, or you can pay more to have it delivered.

If you had freebies thrown in with your 1st class insurance, you can enter the info in instead too

either way the system requires a policy number before letting you proceed to pay your raod tax. 

buying with DLT means the dates of insurance is synched with your annual road tax plus the info is linked automatically

9 hours ago, digbeth said:

You can buy the insurance 'online' from DLT's website, it get sent in email, or you can pay more to have it delivered.

If you had freebies thrown in with your 1st class insurance, you can enter the info in instead too

either way the system requires a policy number before letting you proceed to pay your raod tax. 

buying with DLT means the dates of insurance is synched with your annual road tax plus the info is linked automatically

It's not clear whether you can buy mandatory insurance on the site first? then the tax? do you have a link to DLT website?

Good afternoon forum, i m trying to pay for my car tax online BUT i accidentally clicked on the pick up sticker instead of mailing it to me.

I m trying through their website and clicked on  Check tax payment results/Change payment method trying to change it

BUT that dosent work, (see attachemnt)

WIfe read that if you dont pay within the first day they will automatically cancel yr request to pay ( system resets) BUT you will no able to make a new request to pay as there is a 3 days waiting period.

Can anyone confirm this?> thank you

image.png.8969e6fbfafcd46e351ee6bc26744fe4.png

15 minutes ago, walailak said:

Good afternoon forum, i m trying to pay for my car tax online BUT i accidentally clicked on the pick up sticker instead of mailing it to me.

I m trying through their website and clicked on  Check tax payment results/Change payment method trying to change it

BUT that dosent work, (see attachemnt)

WIfe read that if you dont pay within the first day they will automatically cancel yr request to pay ( system resets) BUT you will no able to make a new request to pay as there is a 3 days waiting period.

Can anyone confirm this?> thank you

image.png.8969e6fbfafcd46e351ee6bc26744fe4.png

if it says it it's probably true, wait 3 days, start again

• Thumbs Up 1