Ear Wax

roger101

Why is is it so difficult to find out how much it costs to get your ears syringed to clean out impacted wax.The best information I could find is  7 years old. There are some reports later of clinics and hospitals but nobody gives any details on prices, Unless its somewhere like BHP which is over 3,000 Baht. Any information would be gratefully received. If its any help I will be putting drops in my ears for the next few days to help.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I suffered severe earache. Mrs knew of a very popular ENT doctor in the next town who has his own private High Street clinic. He said my ear canal was narrowed, infected and needed wax removing. Surprisingly, he did this immediately via suction tube, prescribed and dispensed antibiotic ear drops, antibiotic tablets and painkilling tablets. Resolved in a few days. Cost 1,200 baht. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's so easy to maintain/clean your ear wax accumulation.   Stop listening to the ear docs that say 'don't put anything smaller than your elbow in you ear', when they do the opposite.

After your next cleaning (or before), simply use Q-tip/ear buds once a week after a shower, and wipe the excess that accumulates on the inner upper ring of your ear canal.   Your not going to damage your eardrum, unless really careless & stupid.

Think cleaning the under side, of the top of the peanut butter jar.   That's all it takes.  No need to go in any deeper than the opening of the canal.  If you do, go deeper, then you may even pack what's in there down.  Not good, so just clean the inner rim.

Actually a lot of room between the opening of canal and the eardrum.

Don't want to stick anything in your ear, use the butt wash, adjust the pressure to something comfortable, or simply warm showerhead water, IF you can get the pressure up enough.

Edited by KhunLA

The cost of getting your ears cleaned out depends entirely on where you get it done. I've had it done 3 times in Thailand. The first time (very many years ago) it was very cheap (50B?) but they only used a metal thing to scrape out some wax. The second time it was about 150B at a small private hospital. The doc used water to try to blast the wax out and suction to try to suck it out. The last time was last year at a private ENT clinic. It was the most expensive. I went twice and paid 500B per visit for each consultation (that was standard for all patients) and about 100B for some ear drops to put in my ear for a week between visits. That clinic used suction to suck out the wax and a metal scrape tool to try to loosen the wax from the ear. 

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

It's so easy to maintain/clean your ear wax accumulation.   Stop listening to the ear docs that say 'don't put anything smaller than your elbow in you ear', when they do the opposite.

After your next cleaning (or before), simply use Q-tip/ear buds once a week after a shower, and wipe the excess that accumulates on the inner upper ring of your ear canal.   Your not going to damage your eardrum, unless really careless & stupid.

Think cleaning the under side, of the top of the peanut butter jar.   That's all it takes.  No need to go in any deeper than the opening of the canal.  If you do, go deeper, then you may even pack what's in there down.  Not good, so just clean the inner rim.

Actually a lot of room between the opening of canal and the eardrum.

Don't want to stick anything in your ear, use the butt wash, adjust the pressure to something comfortable, or simply warm showerhead water, IF you can get the pressure up enough.

I use an ear camera works well, it's like another world in there

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not if impacted

As mine were once were, so much so, doc couldn't use his mini pressure washer.   Wanted me to come back next week after drops of mineral oil used to loosen it up.   I was going out of town, so could return, so he said for me to, careful flush out with warm water, and ear bud for any excess water I couldn't knock out.   If I get an infection, just pick up some ear drops at pharmacy at first hint of discomfort.

Big mistake, 17ish yrs later, and I've yet to need a doc to clean them again.  Which I used to go to about twice a year, as I also have very small ear canals.

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

As mine were once were, so much so, doc couldn't use his mini pressure washer.   Wanted me to come back next week after drops of mineral oil used to loosen it up.   I was going out of town, so could return, so he said for me to, careful flush out with warm water, and ear bud for any excess water I couldn't knock out.   If I get an infection, just pick up some ear drops at pharmacy at first hint of discomfort.

Big mistake, 17ish yrs later, and I've yet to need a doc to clean them again.  Which I used to go to about twice a year, as I also have very small ear canals.

I tried the camera first but impossible to remove impacted wax, good with normal wax, doctor said impacted wax Probably been in there a long time and vacuumed it out

4 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

This would be a good idea ????. For whatever reason ... they don't sell it with needles. I needed it to lubricate something small. No way to get it with a needle at least at the pharmacies where I asked.

You neede to lubricate something small?

Woah....maybe too much information!????????

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

The Turkish barber who cut my hair in Saudi used a lighted rolled up newspaper, placed it by the ear and blew on it to remove the inner hairs.

I once blew on my Thai barber......got banned for 6 months.????????

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

You can buy a syringe at many pharmacies for next to nothing. Fill it with warm water and then use it for your ears. Perhaps that is good enough.

My ears have a habit to form this yellowish wax too that needs cleaning every few weeks, as well as easily to get infected from swimming pools. Easy and cheap solution to both is to use the red rubber syringe and flush ears with the blue 70% alcohol, an top up with ear drops after flushing for a day or two.

Few years ago I got an ear infection when at home country for xmas. Felt bad enough to make me go to doctor on xmas day expecting to get some antibiotics - the ear doctor refused to prescribe any, and told most minor ear infections (like he assessed mine to be even though painful) are easily cured by good flushing with alcohol and use of ear drops after that. Worked then, and has worked since every time for me.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

The Turkish barber who cut my hair in Saudi used a lighted rolled up newspaper, placed it by the ear and blew on it to remove the inner hairs.

Yes I have seen various tricks in these barbers in the Middle East.... seem to recall some trick of spinning cotton to snag loose hairs and give a fine edge to a beard line. Looked painful. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Cheap affective way, ( not for everyone)

Bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a small syringe from pharmacy.

Put head on pillow, fill ear hole up, wait 10 minutes, or until bubbling stops.

wash ear hole out,  repeat as required.

Poking metal instruments in your ear is not smart, leave that to a doctor if required.

• Thanks 1