Sore throat from swimming pool

PFMills

Our village has a lovely salt water swimming pool. It’s managed by a couple of people who in my opinion are not the brightest.

In the  last two years, excluding now, I have had three throat infections requiring antibiotics… Certain that the swimming pool was the cause as every day the chemistry is reported same same ……

I have very recently started swimming again.

Yesterday I went in the pool both morning and afternoon.  I noticed a throat irritation yesterday evening. When swimming I obviously get some water in my mouth. Now, today, my throat is much more sore. Yesterday the water tasted odd, bit oily.

Today I noticed that they have dropped the free chlorine to 1.5ppm They told my wife that they checked the chemistry on the first of the month.

Suppose will have to go to doctors again. I assume that it is too much of a risk to leave it is as most likely a bacterial infection.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Pools like that are probably so full of urine and feces and sickness causing bacteria I would never swim there.  Even Pattaya beach water is probably safer.

That is what is so sad. It was rebuilt about four years ago, the lady who ran it, and owned the company who rebuilt the pool, she never even used a stabiliser, the pool glistened. But it was hardly ever used, the people in this village seem to be not interested in swimming.

The pool and complex are owned by a really nice guy, mega rich.  He is very friendly and I’ll have a chat to him next time I see him.  There is a big group, including him and his wife, who have sing song in the restaurant most days.

The lady gave up and the couple there now just manage the pool and restaurant. It’s obviously loosing loads of money and I know they added a stabiliser a long time ago.

It opens at 7am and the same three or four oldies hold their morning meeting. The rest of the day it’s basically empty until a few children have their swimming lessons about 4pm. A dive school use the pool once or twice a week for a couple of hours during which time the pool is closed to others.

So when I go I am normally the only one in the pool and it is only about 50M from our house. If only they would manage the chemistry better. So I won’t use it again unless they take more care with the chemistry.  

It’s a 20M pool with a separate pool for non swimmers and children. Everyone has to use a swimming hat, even those like me!

AAA.jpg.a086fc4300e411e1979fcc27a153bb96.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Not exactly sure why you are posting or what you expect us to do?????????

Suppose will have to go to doctors again. I assume that it is too much of a risk to leave it is as most likely a bacterial infection.

Guess he was hoping for some advice as to how long he can avoid not getting antibotics again, does he really need to see a doctor tomorrow. are throat infections likely to clear on their own.

• Thumbs Up 1

My friend has a resort with a big pool fed from pumped underground water. The law told her to empty it every week and scrub the whole inside of it, takes a day and a few locals to pay, plus losing a days business...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Perhaps looking for advice/info on salt water pools for any known  problems................. :cowboy:

Cool. I've never owned a pool so not clued up.

Pools seem (to me) to be way high maintenance.

I already have something high maintenance and that is enuff (sic).????????

3 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Suppose will have to go to doctors again. I assume that it is too much of a risk to leave it is as most likely a bacterial infection.

Was hoping for some advice as to how long can avoid not getting antibotics again, do I really need to see a doctor tomorrow. are throat infections likely to clear on their own.

Cool.

I would have thought a doctor is better qualified to answer that.

Generally only opinions appear here.????????

• Confused 1

On 3/3/2023 at 4:35 PM, sidjameson said:

How many times do you need to get sick before you stop using the pool?

On 3/3/2023 at 5:36 PM, JAS21 said:

Guess he was hoping for some advice as to how long he can avoid not getting antibotics again, does he really need to see a doctor tomorrow. are throat infections likely to clear on their own.

yes normally on healthy people throat infections clear on their own...just it is very unpleasant as you can't sleep if you have a bad one and generally you don't want to have a strong long infection in your head as it can cause other problems....I would eat antibiotics if it doesn't get better in 3 days

On 3/3/2023 at 5:26 PM, PFMills said:

That is what is so sad. It was rebuilt about four years ago, the lady who ran it, and owned the company who rebuilt the pool, she never even used a stabiliser, the pool glistened. But it was hardly ever used, the people in this village seem to be not interested in swimming.

The pool and complex are owned by a really nice guy, mega rich.  He is very friendly and I’ll have a chat to him next time I see him.  There is a big group, including him and his wife, who have sing song in the restaurant most days.

The lady gave up and the couple there now just manage the pool and restaurant. It’s obviously loosing loads of money and I know they added a stabiliser a long time ago.

It opens at 7am and the same three or four oldies hold their morning meeting. The rest of the day it’s basically empty until a few children have their swimming lessons about 4pm. A dive school use the pool once or twice a week for a couple of hours during which time the pool is closed to others.

So when I go I am normally the only one in the pool and it is only about 50M from our house. If only they would manage the chemistry better. So I won’t use it again unless they take more care with the chemistry.  

It’s a 20M pool with a separate pool for non swimmers and children. Everyone has to use a swimming hat, even those like me!

AAA.jpg.a086fc4300e411e1979fcc27a153bb96.jpg

I am sorry, but the guy you mention is "mega rich" but he and his wife do "sing song" in the local restaurant??  

Beware. Certain things can get into your nasal passages that can cause extreme damage. If tap water can do this what do you think poorly treated pool water can do? 

Person in Florida dies after brain-eating amoeba infection, possibly due to sinus rinse with tap water.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/02/health/brain-eating-amoeba-florida-wellness/index.html

CNN

— 

A person in Charlotte County, Florida, has died after being infected with the rare brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri.

The infection possibly resulted from “sinus rinse practices utilizing tap water,” according to a news release from the Florida Department of Health in Charlotte County. The release was issued in February to alert the public about the infection.

Infection with Naegleria fowleri “can only happen when water contaminated with amoebae enters the body through the nose,” according to the department’s news release.

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Can rich people not sing? 

They most certainly can--but most Thai "mega rich" are found at local sing-songs.  He may be rich, but mega rich invokes Thaksin-type families, and just can envision them joining locals for a "sing-song".

On 3/7/2023 at 7:35 AM, SammyJ said:

I am sorry, but the guy you mention is "mega rich" but he and his wife do "sing song" in the local restaurant??  

He actually ownes the whole area. Most days there is quite a large Karoake group performing in the restaurant area. Does that answer your question.

On 3/7/2023 at 8:12 AM, gargamon said:

Beware. Certain things can get into your nasal passages that can cause extreme damage. If tap water can do this what do you think poorly treated pool water can do? 

Person in Florida dies after brain-eating amoeba infection, possibly due to sinus rinse with tap water.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/02/health/brain-eating-amoeba-florida-wellness/index.html

CNN

— 

A person in Charlotte County, Florida, has died after being infected with the rare brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri.

The infection possibly resulted from “sinus rinse practices utilizing tap water,” according to a news release from the Florida Department of Health in Charlotte County. The release was issued in February to alert the public about the infection.

Infection with Naegleria fowleri “can only happen when water contaminated with amoebae enters the body through the nose,” according to the department’s news release.

Yes, must use filtered water eg Amway filter and use the proper sachets from the hospital or pharmacy

Day five of antibiotics 

Edited by PFMills

3 hours ago, PFMills said:

He actually ownes the whole area. Most days there is quite a large Karoake group performing in the restaurant area. Does that answer your question.

not really, but it doesn't even matter--i shared my view of what "mega rich" rich is, but to someone else it might be different--but, my point remains, truly mega rich may well be singing, but you never saw members of the Thaksin family, or similar, singing with locals at a pub.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

"They told my wife that they checked the chemistry on the first of the month."

????????????????????

YES, two days earlier. It should really be checked every day, especially when a change in the weather. They do use a stabiliser so maybe they think checking every day is overkill.