Updates on BKK infrastructure

isaanistical

One of the greatest TiT frustrations is the way projects never seem to get completed around BKK. The new train station at Bang Sue is one example – a vast, wasteful new “hub” yet the old Hua Lampong is still operating.

Of course these projects serve their purpose, which is to make money for those constructing them, so one can see them as 'complete' in that sense. But I wonder if anyone has useful info regarding any alleged progress on two projects in particular:

1. Yellow Line monorail: infrastructure complete, trials were promised for last December, but nothing happening. It's built and ready, there is rolling stock, but nothing running. Anyone know when?

2. new road overpass at Klong Toei: at least three years now and it's nowhere near ready – traffic on the ground is back to nightmarish. Again, anyone know when or even if it might ever be finished?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Google is your friend: Yellow Line (Bangkok) - Wikipedia

By the end of November 2022, construction had progressed to 97.73%.[7]The line will open in two stages.[8]

• Phase 1: May 2023 - Lat Phrao (YL01) to Samrong (YL23) - 30.4 km (18.9 mi) (Control Group Public Trial Run)
  • Phase 2: June 2023 - Lat Phrao (YL01) to Samrong (YL23) - 30.4 km (18.9 mi)
Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

By the end of November 2022, construction had progressed to 97.73%.[7]The line will open in two stages.[8]

• Phase 1: May 2023 - Lat Phrao (YL01) to Samrong (YL23) - 30.4 km (18.9 mi) (Control Group Public Trial Run)

Yep, yellow line is not complete as the OP claims. A lot of it is but not all of it, around me they are still finishing Hua Mark station and that looks three months away. So whilst you may see stations near you looking complete it doesn't mean the entire line is finished.

I can't wait for it to be opened and applaud the extensive investment in electric commuter lines throughout the city. I just think it is criminal that there is no common ticketing system.

10 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

There is a thread on "the new Skytrain" and AFAIR dates have been postponed to 2024 (or was it 2042?)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

So whilst you may see stations near you looking complete it doesn't mean the entire line is finished.

I can't wait for it to be opened and applaud the extensive investment in electric commuter lines throughout the city. I just think it is criminal that there is no common ticketing system.

Yeah, from Samrong to On Nut looks both complete and forlorn, and that's the bit I need!

Agree entirely about ticketing - HKG's Octopus is the daddy of all the systems, but every other big city has it and it's a disgrace BKK can't (read "won't") get its act together.

12 hours ago, Lorry said:

There is a thread on "the new Skytrain" and AFAIR dates have been postponed to 2024 (or was it 2042?)

As I said, the last report I saw (in a national newspaper, to be fair...) said free public trials to start in December 2022. 2042 sounds entirely plausible if not optimistic. What a waste of resources, as usual.