Cooking Fish from Makro.

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Go on then, why not? ... Genuine question.

Flavorless, and only a conveyance of the sauces you put on it.

Salmon for us. Just for that reason.  7X the price is well worth it ????

OP ... was thinking steaming, but since you tried boiling, not much difference.

I stopped buying wet brined bacon for the same reason.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

I presume the O/P is referring to Basa fish, or Pangasius bocourti to give it its posh name. Boiling is definitely not the way to cook these fillets. 

There are plenty of 'Thai fish curry'  recipes on the internet, or if you're not such a dab hand in the kitchen (which appears to be the case) there are a number of pre mix curry sauce packs available. 'Cooking for dummy' packs I call them. (which includes me BTW)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Flavorless, and only a conveyance of the sauces you put on it.

Yeah, that frozen white fish (Pangasius?) is pretty tasteless and has massive amounts of water.

They do have Barramundi ($$$) and Tilapia ($$) both of which are much nicer without having to flavour them up with curry sauce etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fish fillets require very little cooking. 

If you wish to poach it in water then 10 minutes maximum cooking time is all that is needed.

Perhaps a tastier way would be the gently fry it in a little butter until it's starting to turn golden.

But once again, don't cook it for to long. 5 minutes on one side and then flip it over and turn the heat off under the frying pan. Let the residual heat in the pan finish the cooking.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

I buy the whole fresh fish from Lotus. Fill the cavity with herbs, butter and lemon. Wrap it in tin foil then in the oven for 30 mins. Delicious.

Yeah, Madam does something similar, whole fish filled with assorted herbs and stuff and including a secret ingredient. Wrapped in foil then gently cooked on the griddle.

She calls it "Happy Fish" because the secret ingredient is my JW Black! ???? (We did try JW Red but it's not quite the same).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, Madam does something similar, whole fish filled with assorted herbs and stuff and including a secret ingredient. Wrapped in foil then gently cooked on the griddle.

She calls it "Happy Fish" because the secret ingredient is my JW Black! ???? (We did try JW Red but it's not quite the same).

It's even better with Glenlivet.

• Haha 1

I like Pangasius fried in batter. I know it's loaded with heavy metals and whatever, but when served with plenty of home made tatar sauce, once in a while (I guess we buy two bags of fillets a year, if that)

What about the salmon in Makro? is that line caught from sustainable managed fisheries? Suprise surprise .. 

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, that frozen white fish (Pangasius?) is pretty tasteless and has massive amounts of water.

They do have Barramundi ($$$) and Tilapia ($$) both of which are much nicer without having to flavour them up with curry sauce etc.

I switched over to the Barramundi, its not bad to be honest, it wont break the bank.

• Like 1

Have you tried sous vide'ing the fish ?

Easy enough to do, especially fish, since temp doesn't need to be that high.  I've fashioned a 'ghetto sous vid' set up, with small cooler & thermometer.   Easy to maintain temp.  Can't see fish taking longer than 30 minutes to reach the temp.

At least if it shrinks up, maybe the juice in bag will have some flavor.  Add some butter, lemon, spices, and you have a sauce.

• 4 months later...
On 3/4/2023 at 1:50 PM, Yorkshire Tea said:

Try the frozen tilapia fillets.  The wife makes lovely fish & chips with them ????

They are about double the price of pangasius fillets.

Edited by NoshowJones

7 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

They are about double the price of pangasius fillets.

So the one that shrinks down to half it's size costs about half as much.  Hmmm, a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma...

• Haha 1