The Impressive Impact Of Clean Energy Projects On Global Emissions In 2022

Scott

1019-CW-I1-1024x765.jpg

According to a recent International Energy Agency (IEA) report, carbon emissions in 2022 rose by less than was feared, largely thanks to a multitude of new green energy projects worldwide. Carbon dioxide emissions worldwide increased by under 1 percent in 2022, or 321 million tonnes, lower than initially anticipated, according to the IEA. This was supported by the growth in solar and wind power, EVs, and heat pumps, as well as greater efforts at increased energy efficiency.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/The-Impressive-Impact-Of-Clean-Energy-Projects-On-Global-Emissions-In-2022.html

• Like 1

It’s a small step in the right direction good news!we just completed an 8.5 kw system on our San Diego house once I burn through the tax deduction on it I will get an ev and take advantage of that tax deduction as well!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tug said:

It’s a small step in the right direction good news!we just completed an 8.5 kw system on our San Diego house once I burn through the tax deduction on it I will get an ev and take advantage of that tax deduction as well!

Yes very small steps in the wrong direction. We need more nuclear and more clean natural gas and less coal. Somebody should tell the Chinese and the Indians to stop burning all that coal and give the world a break.

• Haha 1

I wonder what part of the slowdown is related to economic slowdown resulting from covid/post-covid ... And how can the numbers players tell the difference between that and the 'clean' energy effect?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Doesn't seem to be helping the Antarctic Ice though, because according to satellite images Antarctic Ice reach a 45 year low last month;

MRqEXtvYADFsamSQXrXeET-970-80.gif

As the report clearly noted, it CO2 still increased in the atmosphere. Just less than it otherwise would have done.

And even if there a decrease, human caused climate change is already baked in. Now the issue is how to limit the rise over the next few hundred years, not reverse it.

Those giant Windmills kill lots of birds every year. They are also high maintenance and the wind cannot be too strong as well or they have to be shut down.  Green but unreliable.  Solar is no good in the night, and Hydro needs mountains.

Just sayng.

16 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Those giant Windmills kill lots of birds every year. They are also high maintenance and the wind cannot be too strong as well or they have to be shut down.  Green but unreliable.  Solar is no good in the night, and Hydro needs mountains.

Just sayng.

[Update] No, Mr. Trump — ‘windmills’ are not going to ‘destroy the bird population.’ Here’s what will

Within the uncertainties of the data used, the estimate means that wind farms killed approximately 20,000 birds in the United States in 2009 but nuclear plants killed about 330,000 and fossil fueled power plants more than 14 million. The paper concludes that further study is needed, but also that fossil fueled power stations appear to pose a much greater threat to birds and avian wildlife than wind farms and nuclear power plants.

While part of the discrepancy is due to fossil fuels’ greater usage, the study also concluded that wind is responsible for 0.3-0.4 fatalities per gigawatt-hour, while fossil fuels are responsible for 5.2 per gigawatt-hour — about 15 times as much per unit energy.

https://electrek.co/2020/10/29/birds-wind-turbines-trump/#:~:text=While part of the discrepancy,as much per unit energy.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service estimates that cats are responsible for the deaths of 2.4 billion birds each year. After that, collisions with building glass and vehicles are to blame for about another 800 million deaths. By comparison, about 230,000 birds are killed after colliding with a wind turbine every year.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/10/23/21530123/trump-presidential-debate-windmills-kill-birds

• Thanks 1