Loading Dvd Movies On Laptop Notebook Question?

Gerry290

Hi

Can anyone give me some help or advice with this?

I am going to BKK for about 4 days, and I use my laptop for email for work, web, and also VOIP phone over it, when in hotel with good strong internet.

I have to take 5 DVDs over 1 hour each, on something I am studying and I want to load them up onto the harddrive of my laptop for the few days I am away. (see the DVD player can act up sometimes, so best if I try and load up at home. where I can deal with that better).

I want to save the say 7 hours+ of DVDs to my laptop as a temporay measure, over weekend.

If I do this, would the 5 DVDs (say 7 hour total movie time) be too much or tak up too much space on Laptop that

it will slow the machine down to be so slow it will be a pain in the butt.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 which is over 18 months old.

Thanks

Gerry

clone dvd (slysoft) is good at ripping to VOB files. A standard commercial movie dvd could equal out too 4 gigs roughly. 1 hours should be much less then this. Also you will need an app to view .vob files. Windows media might support this, cant say for sure though, but probably.

What size hard drive do you have ?

I am now sure, how do look that up on the notebook?...apologies I am not good at the support end of computer. :o

I ll post it up the size, once someone can tell me where to look?

Click the my computor icon on the desktop, then look for the C drive/volume icon,with your mouse pointer over that icon,right click the mouse and then click properties,that should then show you the disc/volume size and the amount of space used and free....

One way to save a lot of space is to rip the DVD to an AVI or DivX file since you are only wanting to view it locally on your computer. This will bring a 4GB DVD down to about 700-800 MBytes. There are free DVD to AVI converters available (Google).

I got download that change DVD to AVI format.

DVDs approx 60 mins and files 200,000 - 300,000 KB AVI.

How can I reduce them down to email them to me laptop ( see DVD drive on laptop is not great. starts ands stops. ) so had to do on PC, and email over.

AVI is to big, to email, what best way to compress.

Thanks

Gerry

email isnt gonna work out. upload will be impossible. I'd either go sd card ( do you have a digi cam? ) or some other usb driven storage if your dvd drive isnt working. I have a portable hd in a small enclosure ( its a 5400 rpm laptop hd) its 120 gigs, can plus in via usb, so i can move files ezzzzzzzzzzzz