Advacado Dying and Special Tree

Advacado Tree

Not sure what has happened to my advacado tree. Looks like it's slowely dying (boo hoo). Same as some of the grass around the base. 

May have been an oversupply of cow <deleted>. No idea.

Special Tree

I see our special tree has grown all sorts of things, sprinklers, strange hairy creatures and yes, some mangoes. Wifey is very creative. ????

20230314_110008.jpg

20230314_110151.jpg

20230314_110200.jpg

20230314_110205.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pogust said:

I bought a load of cow manure once that trees didn't like. They didn't die but looked sad for a while. Is the brown grass area the same that you added manure to?

I think so, but I didn't add the manure. 

We get a guy to come in and help and I think he did it, but around the Advacado tree is the only problem area, so don't know what happened.

Looks very dry to me, but I guess you are watering at least once a week? 

Not visible on the fotos is the possibility that the tree has been planted too deep, around here at least I get a barrow or two of earth in order to raise the plant a little. That does necessitate irrigation. Burrow around near the stem and see if you find any roots, which should be just beneath the surface. 

With chlorotic (yellowed) appearance of foliage, leaf tips and margins drying/dying, dried up grass, I would consider nutrient deficiences, water deficit/drought stress, high salts fertilizer (manure and/or high NPK chemical fertilizer that dessicates roots and destroys beneficial soil biology and soil aggregate structure and therefore limits soil moisture retention). 

• Love It 1

On 3/17/2023 at 2:14 PM, cooked said:

Looks very dry to me, but I guess you are watering at least once a week? 

Not visible on the fotos is the possibility that the tree has been planted too deep, around here at least I get a barrow or two of earth in order to raise the plant a little. That does necessitate irrigation. Burrow around near the stem and see if you find any roots, which should be just beneath the surface. 

Hi, thanks. It does look dry but that is the 'burn' grass and tree I think. We water a lot. Hasn't happened to the other trees/grass.

7 hours ago, drtreelove said:

With chlorotic (yellowed) appearance of foliage, leaf tips and margins drying/dying, dried up grass, I would consider nutrient deficiences, water deficit/drought stress, high salts fertilizer (manure and/or high NPK chemical fertilizer that dessicates roots and destroys beneficial soil biology and soil aggregate structure and therefore limits soil moisture retention). 

Thanks. Yes I think our helper may have caused the problem with too much cow poo.

On 3/18/2023 at 2:45 PM, carlyai said:

Thanks. Yes I think our helper may have caused the problem with too much cow poo.

Especially fresh, un-aged, un-composted manure.

Cooked is right, avocados worldwide are notoriously susceptible to Phythophthora crown rot, and that often happens by planting too deep in a clayey soil, where drainage is poor, the root crown stays wet and can't dry out in between waterings. 

But crown rot signs in the foliar canopy, in my experience, usually presents as wilting and branch tip die-back in the top  Your photos don't look like that too me and the leaf tip and margin drying are characteristic of water deficit or salt burn or both. Sunburn can be a contributing factor when foliage moisture content is compromised, from water deficit or root damage that prevents good hydration. 

• Love It 1

On 3/18/2023 at 2:45 PM, carlyai said:

Methods and materials options for mitigating over fertilization with high salt index materials:

Scrape the surface organic layer containing high salts material, replace with a clean mulch; 

copious watering/leaching; 

humic substances (humid acid, fulvic acid) drench with liquid solution;

gypsum (Calcium sulfate) not the Calcium oxide that you usually get in Thailand sold as gypsum. CaO is 'quicklime' a Calcium product, but is a very different chemistry than ag gypsum CaSO4. 

If planted too low - (uppermost root flare should show at soil grade or above) - dig out with a good root ball intact and re-plant at a higher level as Cooked has recommended in previous post. 

• Love It 1