Security Cameras Taken Off Line - TRUE

Chomper Higgot

We have a security camera network installed to monitor the exterior of our house, out buildings and access points.

These are linked via a server/recorder to the internet giving us access to camera views and alarms via an app.

All has been running reliably for a couple of years, however last month while in the UK I lost access to the cameras, two weeks later my wife lost access.

We called out the company who sold/installed the system, they checked the network and cameras were all OK.

They then checked at their head office to be told TRUE, our internet provider, has blocked the IP address for the server.

We’ve called TRUE to report this and provided them with all the details they requested, but still after a week we have no access.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you manage to resolve it, if at all?

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Thanks for your response.

We got this solved last Thursday, my bad for not updating my post.

The problem was True had blocked the IP address,

They had no reason to do so, we were not live streaming and our bill is paid online, never late.

The response we had from True was good once we were able to raise a ticket and their technician did confirm True had blocked the IP.

The security system technician stated this is a common problem and in his opinion was related to the shortage of IP addresses in Thailand.

Regardless, the problem is now resolved and we have, for the time being got our security cameras back online.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Seems strange.  Did they give a reason for this?  is it likely to happen again?  You wouldn't accept it if it was electricity or water. 

Could it have been an excuse for a severed line in your area?  Did you neighbors still have internet? 

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

Seems strange.  Did they give a reason for this?  is it likely to happen again?  You wouldn't accept it if it was electricity or water. 

Could it have been an excuse for a severed line in your area?  Did you neighbors still have internet? 

I don’t have any more information, but I don’t believe I’ve had an internet outage as there are no data loss events recorded by my weather station data logger.

On 3/29/2023 at 5:39 PM, KhunHeineken said:

Strange you both didn't lose access at the same time.

Have you updated the app on your phone / device?  Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the app, or, maybe even installing a previous version of the app. 

Have you paid the bill?  (you mentioned you are in the UK)

Are you streaming the cameras all day/night on a monitor in the UK, if so, that could be a lot of TB's a month, and may breach TRUE's fair use policy, if they have one.

TRUE may have changed your static IP Address.  This happened to me once and I hit the roof with the ISP.   No warning given of the change, I lost contact with everything. 

If no one is living in your home when you are away, get your neighbor to flick the main switch to your house, wait a couple of minutes, and then turn it back on.  This will reset your whole network, including your NVR / DVR, if you haven't connected it to a UPS.

Great suggestions, most useful information!

Interesting reading upon this thread. A while ago in UK I was suddenly unable to connect to my ISP (ADSL). Scratching my head for ages and finally resorted to ringing their call centre(s). You either get through to Eire or India.

I was advised that someone at their end had made a mistake in flipping the wrong switch and changed my password (that's the password you enter into your router). Very sorry but you're now back on again!

Same thing happened twice more. Of course I was then ready for them. It's all the fun of the internet!