Australian Tourist Dies After Hiking to Tiger Cave in Krabi

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Krabi – A 70-year-old Australian tourist dies after hiking to the Tiger cave in Krabi, which involves a challenging and steep climb.

Emergency responders was notified that a tourist was unconscious on Friday (March 17th) at the Tiger Cave in Mueang Krabi district.

Advance emergency responders and a doctor took more than one hour to ascend the 1,200 step ladder to the cave almost near the top of the hill. They found a 70-year-old Australian tourist who was unconscious (The Phuket Express is withholding his name pending embassy and family notification). He was provided CPR but resuscitation attempts ultimately failed.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/03/18/australian-tourist-dies-after-hiking-to-tiger-cave-in-krabi/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-03-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 6

20 minutes ago, PJPom said:

Very sad but applause for him making it to the top.

I did the climb on my seventy fourth birthday and the view from the top is marvellous.

well done sir, you went out still appreciating life, R I P.

Ive done that climb when I was in my late 40s and its very very hard especially when the weather is so hot.  I wasnt impressed with the view to be honest and whats worse is that going down, you get wobbly legs and its just exhausting. 

The story made me recall climbing over a glacier in the Alps on a Scout Exchange with our Czech Scout partners. On the way up I asked how old the oldest person he led over the top … he paused, looked at me and said … well, you’re right up there with them! Ha! I knew it would be my last such excursion.

• Haha 1

I tried that same climb 3 years ago (was 50 yrs old then). I gave up half way because it was too much and I actually thought it could kill me. I later regretted giving up - but reading this story I no longer regret that decision. 

I'm reasonably fit, but there's something about stairs that just saps everything out of me. I had a similar issue at the Great Wall, but managed to conquer that one. I don't think my ticker is designed to cope with steps. 

RIP sir - you lived life! 

15 hours ago, PJPom said:

Very sad but applause for him making it to the top.

I did the climb on my seventy fourth birthday and the view from the top is marvellous.

well done sir, you went out still appreciating life, R I P.

He got all the way to the pearly gates.

On 3/18/2023 at 12:00 PM, CG1 Blue said:

I tried that same climb 3 years ago (was 50 yrs old then). I gave up half way because it was too much and I actually thought it could kill me. I later regretted giving up - but reading this story I no longer regret that decision. 

I'm reasonably fit, but there's something about stairs that just saps everything out of me. I had a similar issue at the Great Wall, but managed to conquer that one. I don't think my ticker is designed to cope with steps. 

RIP sir - you lived life! 

Tiger Temple is all about pacing your effort, you have to take it slower than you feel like, in order to save your energy for the whole trip. People fail the climb because they go for it like they'd go on a couple stories' house stairs, but of course they run out of energy after a couple hundred steps. Then it does become difficult... Reasonable pace there is about 25 min for the climb which is just a bit slower than 1 step/second, so it's relatively easy to count. With the right pace you don't have to stop in the middle (because you don't run out of energy).

• Like 1