Thai Tour Guides Unite to Address Issue of Illegal Foreign Guides

webfact

If I bring my family over and show them around (13 people), am I techincally acting as a guide? So am I breaking the law? Maybe Thailand should reassess whether "Tour Guide" should be a protected job, as there seem to be too many grey areas surrounding the issue. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SABloke said:

If I bring my family over and show them around (13 people), am I techincally acting as a guide? So am I breaking the law? Maybe Thailand should reassess whether "Tour Guide" should be a protected job, as there seem to be too many grey areas surrounding the issue. 

Are you getting compensated?  Are you doing this on a frequent (daily basis all year)?

If not, you're not a guide.

The legit guides have to go through a process (and learn a language) to do their jobs.  The non legit guides get to bypass all that and earn a non traceable amount of money.

This issue should be addressed.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:25 AM, JayBird said:

Are you getting compensated?  Are you doing this on a frequent (daily basis all year)?

If not, you're not a guide.

The legit guides have to go through a process (and learn a language) to do their jobs.  The non legit guides get to bypass all that and earn a non traceable amount of money.

This issue should be addressed.

Nono. The term “work” in Thai law is defined very broadly, covering both physical and mental activities, whether or not for wages or other form of compensation and encompass a variety of activities, such as driving a car, being a laborer or cutting hair or applying makeup. The interpretation of whether a particular activity qualifies as a "job or work" ultimately rests with the authorities. Cutting your own hair, preparing your own tax, changing a light bulb, renting and driving a car all could be interpreted as stealing local jobs. 

• Sad 1

On 3/20/2023 at 4:05 AM, hotchilli said:

Agreed, can't have any competition or foreigners doing Thai jobs.

Indeed.  If there's one thing we need to remember as Thailand moves towards being an open and progressive democracy, it's to keep them dirty, stinking foreigners where they belong, under the feet of the pure and good Thais.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

There's just not enough Thais who have learned a foreign language in school because there are not enough foreign language teachers of any merit.

Not true.

These jobs are for working class Thai Chinese. They probably use family, friends as much as possible. I'm speaking of the tour company not the Chinese company in China or any agragator

The ones that learn Chinese in good BKK public schools will be doing far more impressive things than tour guide for zero dollar tourists.

A student grad from top 5 HS into top 5 uni is looking at luxury hotels, restaurants and work abroad.

Every year I'd say a few of my students are HSK5, many hit 3-4 and every other year a 6. All those 4+ probably come from Thai-Chinese homes where the language gave them a head start early.

HSK3 pretty strong Chinese.

HSK6 = free ride at Bejing University

Edited by Menken
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, mikebell said:

There's just not enough Thais who have learned a foreign language in school because there are not enough foreign language teachers of any merit.

Well I have found it a rare thing to talk with fluent Thai English speakers (in my area... I expect BKK would be much better) so I might expect the ability in Chinese or Russian to be limited. Although they could  be good if originating from mixed marriage families. Met a GGG whose English was absolutely perfect once, Thai mother, English father who was committed to giving her language abilities. Being a GGG was obviously more attractive than being a tourist guide. 

• Haha 1