What I want is a map of Pattaya that shows fiber vs. cable coverage broken down by the different companies (3BB/True/AIS/etc.)

JustThisOnePostOnly

I want this because I think I'm going to be moving soon and I'd rather eliminate those areas that don't have fiber from my search.  Experience has taught me that the real estate agents usually don't have a good understanding of the kinds of Internet service available in a unit, e.g. it has Wifi!

I heard the construction on Second Road was about laying down fiber?  Is that true?  So that means maybe now S. Pattaya has fiber?

I've heard Wongamat has fiber.

I'm guessing E. Pattaya is no.

I know Jomtien is no.

But like an actual map, with overlapping colored blobs delineating the areas.  Is anybody reading this?

Not sure there is a map. The way things are these days you'd have to be off the beaten track not to get fiber in town.

Best thing to do is find somewhere you may want to live and then call the companies.

For what its worth, I am close to Wongamat and AIS is great, good speeds and virtually no downtime.

Edited by sungod
  • Thanks 1

You'll find that Fibre/Fiber is in just about every street. If you're renting a house than it should be no problem. If you're in a condo then it will be down to the building management and what deal they have got with the infrastructure provider. I would ask the building manager's office at anyplace you are interested in. Often they will have advertising leaflets in the lobby for (in our case in Bangkok, 3BB, True and AIS fibre) who each have installed equipment in the basement and then run the fibre to the room.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

You'll find that Fibre/Fiber is in just about every street. If you're renting a house than it should be no problem. If you're in a condo then it will be down to the building management and what deal they have got with the infrastructure provider. I would ask the building manager's office at anyplace you are interested in. Often they will have advertising leaflets in the lobby for (in our case in Bangkok, 3BB, True and AIS fibre) who each have installed equipment in the basement and then run the fibre to the room.

Bang on, condos are all about existing infrastructure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soi3eddie said:

If you're in a condo then it will be down to the building management and what deal they have got with the infrastructure provider.

So that's the problem I'm having in VT7, they cut a deal and it's cable only and I shouldn't complain because it's 50Mbps down.  But it's barely enough today.  Tomorrow?  I doubt it.

1 hour ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

So that's the problem I'm having in VT7, they cut a deal and it's cable only and I shouldn't complain because it's 50Mbps down.  But it's barely enough today.  Tomorrow?  I doubt it.

I stayed in VT5 and it was all fibre (via 3BB). I had 1GB/500mb of which I had stable 800/MBs in actual speed - all day. Seems somewhat strange if a newer building from the same contractor opted for cable in a recent project (VT7)? Moreover, Cable, these days, perform far above 50Mbps so there's something here that doesn't compute. How about you contact 3BB yourself and see if they have your building? Sometimes juristic office is clueless.  

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

If you're in a condo then it will be down to the building management and what deal they have got with the infrastructure provider.

Not necessarily, the True fibre internet in my condo was installed at my request directly to True, the condo managementwas not involved at all.

34 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not necessarily, the True fibre internet in my condo was installed at my request directly to True, the condo managementwas not involved at all.

Did True already have equipment in the condo building (usually a cabinet in the basement or communications room), or did they run a separate cable from the street just for you to your room?

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Same here when i got 1gb from 3BB. I paid for the wiring to my condo. True was a problem when i asked they wouldn't wire a condo above the 3rd floor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:
11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Same here when i got 1gb from 3BB. I paid for the wiring to my condo. True was a problem when i asked they wouldn't wire a condo above the 3rd floor.

My high floor fibre installation was no issue for True.

11 hours ago, soi3eddie said:
11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Did True already have equipment in the condo building (usually a cabinet in the basement or communications room), or did they run a separate cable from the street just for you to your room?

I was having internet connection issues with the "traditional" True system that was an independent installation that I originally applied for directly to True through one of their shops.  It was replaced with the fibre version and neither installation involved the condo management at any stage.  I do not know whether True had equipment in the building already but there was never any suggestion to me that they did and I didn't quiz them about the forensics of their installation.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I was having internet connection issues with the "traditional" True system that was an independent installation that I originally applied for directly to True through one of their shops.  It was replaced with the fibre version and neither installation involved the condo management at any stage.  I do not know whether True had equipment in the building already but there was never any suggestion to me that they did and I didn't ask them about the forensics of their installation.

Unless the building management authorises the supplier to install equipment in the building (I suspect for a fee) then that is likely why the poster @JustThisOnePostOnly at VT7 cannot get what he wants. You are correct in that the management of the building has nothing to do with installation to your condo room. If there isnt the infrastructure in in the condo building then fibre will not be available.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Unless the building management authorises the supplier to install equipment in the building (I suspect for a fee) then that is likely why the poster @JustThisOnePostOnly at VT7 cannot get what he wants.

In my case the juristic office was involved and I know this because I had to pay them some small fee before the service was turned on.

I have also encountered the high floor barrier to installation but that was in another building.

So after reading these responses I'm thinking that a map would never work, at least not a 2D map.  I'll just go old school and try to drill down on the question best I can at each of the units that I find acceptable.

Thank you all for your responses.

21 hours ago, thaitero said:

What fibre/cable solutions are available at UNIXX and VT 1 ?

Anyone living in these buildings care to share what is the deal now,,

Thanks,

VT1 is 3BB ONLY.  Also, 3BB has been purchased and is merging with AIS. AIS presently is not replacing wire with fiber at VT1.

Edited by Joebuzzz
Spelling.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

I organised the telco to install fibre to my 7th floor condo only to be told by juristic that fibre can ‘push’ data up 5 floors, 7 is too high 

No amount of arguing, information or frustration would change their mind 

• Haha 1