Hua Hin launches new 100% helmet campaign to promote road safety

webfact

image.png

By Online Reporter

Officials in Hua Hin have launched a new campaign aimed at promoting road safety among motorcyclists.

The campaign, which is known as the “100% Helmet Campaign,” aims to encourage all motorcyclists in the district to wear helmets when they are riding.

Statistically, motorcyclists account for 74% of all road deaths in Thailand, according to the Department of Disease Control.

Of the 20,000 people who are killed on Thailand’s roads each year, approximately 15,000 of them are motorcyclists.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/local-news/hua-hin-launches-new-100-helmet-campaign-to-promote-road-safety/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2023-03-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 1

Make a transportable bike crushing machine and use it. 

Hey, how about fitting and "giving" a halfway decent helmet to everyone who passes their license test?  Just pad the license fee. That might get a wee bit larger percentage of the riders to wear them. 

As for the unlicensed ... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Hey, how about fitting and "giving" a halfway decent helmet to everyone who passes their license test?  Just pad the license fee. That might get a wee bit larger percentage of the riders to wear them. 

Not a chance.

I bought crash helmets for all of the staff some years ago.

With only one exception (the supervisor) all of the others were sold at the market.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

motorcyclists account for 74% of all road deaths in Thailand, according to the Department of Disease Control.

Well I never! I thought Covid-19, malaria, dengue fever, atomic radiation, rabies and STD's etc. would be of greater interest than motorbike accidents. Unless riding a motorbike can be classified as a disease!!

I am currently visiting Hua Hin and I am really flabbergasted to see how few people wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. And the very same goes for farangs. Actually now even fewer riders bother to put them on their silly heads than 5 years ago when I moved away from HH. T.I.T. indeed!

Police roadblocks and attempts to enforce the law is a waste of time - they are largely ineffective. It is just the riders who need educatiing, it's the police and the road safety authorities.

Helmet wearing needs to become a way of life - for 22 million or more people who use M/Cs nearly every day.

I notice in some areas the wearing of full face r higher spec helmets is now becoming a status symbol and that helps.

They have to overcome the idea of aan M/C being the cheap convenient transport for the low-incomed and get it recognised as a potentially life threatening device.

Even if they achieve 1005 helmet wearing it will onlt affect a certain number of deaths on M/Cs - whether this number is significant or not remains to be seen only after the wearing becomes universal.

Although I'm hugely pro helmey wearing oe mustn't loose sight of the fact that it isn't a cure-all for motorcycle deaths.

Edited by kwilco

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 12:36 AM, sammieuk1 said:

The police must have other ways to fund themselves never seen a helmet stop here in HH????

Regular helmet and licence checks just up the road in Cha-Am.

They are so regular now in the mornings i don't go helmetless if i intend to go accross the Chao Lai/Narathip road junction.

3 minutes ago, WHansen said:

Regular helmet and licence checks just up the road in Cha-Am.

They are so regular now in the mornings i don't go helmetless if i intend to go accross the Chao Lai/Narathip road junction.

Why would you want to helmetless in the first place ?