Alternative to Overhead Projector for Transparencies Using a Computer?

Longwood50

I am looking to do a presentation that includes some pictures on my computer plus some data.  I also have some items that are transparencies that I would like to present.  From my old school days we use to project those using an overhead projector which are pretty rare these days.  Even if I could find one, I don't want to flip back and forth between the computer projector and overhead.  Is there a single piece of equipment that could attach to a computer where you can lay flat transperencies and have the image projected.  No, I don't want to convert them to computer based slides.  It is important that I can overlay serveral transparencies at the same time to demonstrate their similarity.  That would be lost if they were computer converted. 

• Haha 1

I've seen a unit with a camera looking down at the transparencies and feeding the PC and then to a projector.

I bet you could make one with a decent webcam, or use your phone with the IPwebcam App.

Search for "document camera"

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/document-camera-8-hd-a4-auto-focusing-usb-document-camera-scanner-for-scanning-files-notes-picture-document-scann-i4432085725-s17754179139.html

image.png.e0ecd338e945ed949b4d8a5ef9f935c2.png

Loads on Amazon that look like a camera on an anglepoise lamp. Now where's that old anglepoise?

image.png.27405074eea414a627f04ff64f6fd1fe.png

19 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Just scan the docs with a scanner/printer and overlay them with photo software

There's nothing like the flustered lecturer fumbling with the acetates, dropping them and getting out of order, all to the great amusment of 100 students (I've been on both sides of that).

PowerPoint just isn't the same

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Can't you create them in PowerPoint / Visio and show them next to each other, then use a TV to present.

Yes as said, you can show them next to each other but not overlayed.  As you as you computer generate them, it is lost that they have not been manipulated. 

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Crossy said:

There's nothing like the flustered lecturer fumbling with the acetates, dropping them and getting out of order, all to the great amusment of 100 students (I've been on both sides of that).

Now is there a part of the fact that I deliberately said that 
No, I don't want to convert them to computer based slides.  It is important that I can overlay serveral transparencies at the same time to demonstrate their similarity.  That would be lost if they were computer converted.  That you found confusing? 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Just scan the docs with a scanner/printer and overlay them with photo software

Now what there a part of what I included in the OP that said 

No, I don't want to convert them to computer based slides.  It is important that I can overlay serveral transparencies at the same time to demonstrate their similarity.  That would be lost if they were computer converted.  That you found confusing? 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Because I am physically showing two that will overlay to show they are identical.  If I do that via a computer it loses the impact and could be assumed to be manipulated. 

Yup, there really are some things that just don't work (or are at least less convincing) using the computer.

49 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Because I am physically showing two that will overlay to show they are identical.  If I do that via a computer it loses the impact and could be assumed to be manipulated. 

If it's illustrated well on the computer, then I really can't see how it could be less impactful. I'd say the opposite is more likely to be true.

As for the "assumed to be manipulated" maybe that's fair? Has anybody in the institution raised this concern with you, or is it something you have decided yourself?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

It is important that I can overlay serveral transparencies at the same time to demonstrate their similarity.  That would be lost if they were computer converted. 

That can easily be done on a computer if you have the right tools.  MacOS has the tools included for free.  I haven't used Windows for a decade so I can't offer help on that platform.

If you're on Mac, this guy will have a video to guide you:

https://www.youtube.com/user/macmostvideo/videos

Edited by gamb00ler

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Now what there a part of what I included in the OP that said 

No, I didn’t find it confusing. It’s a very simple task on a pc,  you crack on with your search for vintage presentation equipment ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1