Which one is better? Grab or Bolt

Goodboybkk

3 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

My personal experiences are limited to Bangkok where I have failed 100% to get a Bolt response whereas always managed a Grab, albeit at higher prices.  Girls of my acquaintance however seem exclusively to use Bolt for their motorbike needs without an issue.

Exactly the same...   I think the Bolt vs Grab success rate depends on which city we are in. 

In Bangkok I have never successfully hailed a Bolt through their App.

I usually tried Bolt first as its cheaper, then never get a confirmed ride so I switch over to Grab where 80% of the time I get a confirmed ride.

At busy times - Grab can also be little awkward (with all drivers busy) so I have to walk out of my moobaan and flag a taxi down off the street (and then run the gauntlet repeated rejection).

IMO - In Bangkok at least, Bolt is not very good. Grab is far more reliable most of the time, but also more expense (now about double the flag-fall rate).

• Thumbs Up 1

You should look at InDrive.

You can actually put your own fare and driver decides if they accept or not. I always use either Grab or InDriver. Bolt has a great app but It's seems hard to get drivers to accept booking (at least where I'm at in Chiang Mai)

Edited by shocky2012
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have used Bolt for several months in Pattaya but of recent there has been many long wait times which end up in a cancellation.

I think it’s down to lack of drivers,  the drivers thought it was an easy way to make money but now realise they can get stuck in the traffic and the low fares don’t cover their costs.

It depends where you live.  Bolt and Grab in Bangkok have similar pricing.  Grab is 100b more than Bolt in Pattaya. 

Many Bolt drivers are animals most like to tailgate.  I don't put up with that sh*#$*$@ when I am in the car.  My last bolt driver thought nothing about plucking hairs from her chin while waiting for a red light to change to green. 

I reported her. 

On 3/25/2023 at 2:54 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly the same...   I think the Bolt vs Grab success rate depends on which city we are in. 

In Bangkok I have never successfully hailed a Bolt through their App.

I usually tried Bolt first as its cheaper, then never get a confirmed ride so I switch over to Grab where 80% of the time I get a confirmed ride.

At busy times - Grab can also be little awkward (with all drivers busy) so I have to walk out of my moobaan and flag a taxi down off the street (and then run the gauntlet repeated rejection).

IMO - In Bangkok at least, Bolt is not very good. Grab is far more reliable most of the time, but also more expense (now about double the flag-fall rate).

...you would think by now the metered taxis would have gotten their act together

53 minutes ago, tandor said:

...you would think by now the metered taxis would have gotten their act together

there was nothing wrong with 'metered' taxis, great value, until the ' can not do' 'meter not work' mob began. then metered taxis earnt the same respect as the tuk tuks. i guess that was the rise of bolt and grab..... ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jastheace said:

there was nothing wrong with 'metered' taxis, great value, until the ' can not do' 'meter not work' mob began. then metered taxis earnt the same respect as the tuk tuks. i guess that was the rise of bolt and grab..... ?

that was what i was referring to without going into all that detail.

Use them both in BKK, Chiang Mai and Jomtien/Pattaya. BOLT is much cheaper, but availability is limited to nonexistent at times. GRAB is more readily available at those higher prices. You can also add InDrive to your apps. They'll show you a ballpark price, then the drivers will respond with different prices, usually higher than BOLT but less GRAB. You can negotiate, but I don't bother. Between the 3, usually manage a ride in little time. BOLT was not available in Udon Thani or Korat last year and not sure about InDrive other than Jomtien/Pattaya and Chiang Mai.