On demand taxi options at 3am

Hal65

I have a flight to CNX (from BKK) coming up. Flight leaves at 6am so I want to be on the road at 2am from Pattaya.

In the past I've scheduled with various taxi services. This time I'd like to practice using on demand options. It'll make the mental load of flight planning easier in the future, if it works out.

My current list in order of priority

1. Bolt

2. Grab

3. Street car /van taxis. Will check if in front of Central Festival is active first (any other hotspots?)

4. Moto taxi (I imagine this will get tiring)

PS: I'll only take a backpack

• Confused 2

I have certainly found taxis, both Bolt and on the street after 2am, usually after a night on the town. But they are usually looking for shorter fares......

I think 4 hours before the flight, without a taxi booking is a risk..... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Hal65 said:

Flight leaves at 6am so I want to be on the road at 2am from Pattaya.

You mean you want to arrive at airport at 2 am

Leaving 2 am from Pty arrive airport 3.30-4.30 is cutting it very short, when travellers has been requested to be at airport 3-4 hours prior to their flight.

Bell minibus are back in service, friend leave with them tomorrow.

Motorbike taxi can find taximeter cars around the city, but I would personally go with Bolt or Grab.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

You mean you want to arrive at airport at 2 am

Leaving 2 am from Pty arrive airport 3.30-4.30 is cutting it very short, when travellers has been requested to be at airport 3-4 hours prior to their flight.

Why would anybody want to be at the airport 3-4 hours before the flight, especially for a domestic flight without luggage...

I agree with the other poster, that finding a taxi at 2am in general is no big problem, but finding a taxi willing to drive to Bangkok might be. But I never tried it, so who knows, just my feeling.

I would book one in advance, then you don't have to worry about this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are several hotels on the premises of Suvannabhumi, like Novotel. How about the ultra convenient, ultra save option to book a hotel room well before your flight ? As far as I am concerned I like the security of not coming too late, and my wife and myself took that option once for a flight very early in the morning. May be combined with a nice breakfast.

For a taxi solution you might try to contact "Nam's Taxi Service". Just have a look on the net. They are flexible and reliable.

Yeah as flight timings go this one will require the least buffer:

1. Domestic flight (no immigration gate)
  2. No luggage other than carry on
  3. No traffic. Probably no airport lines

For domestic flights in the US it is recommended to arrive 2 hours before flight. In this case assuming 30 minutes of searching for a taxi, 90 minutes drive, I'll be there and probably generously ahead of time.

Just a matter of finding the willing taxi. Years ago I once asked a moto taxi driver for an Utapao trip, it was 1am. He quoted 1,000 enthusiastically. Pre-scheduling would have cost 700 for a car so based on this example there is certainly a premium

11 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Why would anybody want to be at the airport 3-4 hours before the flight, especially for a domestic flight without luggage...

I travel frequently pattaya - bangkok - pattaya. Weekly.

3 accidents are not uncommon on the way, police ambulance, gridlock, flat tyre, taxi brake down, ..........

Anyone can only blame themselves if they lost their domestic flight.

Whatever.

Edited by Shop mak

You can book with Bolt or Grab 24/7/365  15 minutes before your ready to leave....If the driver does not want the trip he will reject it and it will go to the loads of other waiting drivers...

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2023 at 7:18 PM, redwood1 said:

You can book with Bolt or Grab 24/7/365  15 minutes before your ready to leave....If the driver does not want the trip he will reject it and it will go to the loads of other waiting drivers...

I took the trip and hired a Bolt both ways. In both cases the very first driver took the fare. Both asked if I would pay the toll to which I said Yes. Total cost each way was 1,200 + 105 toll. In both cases the very first driver offered the fare (by the app) took it. They only have 10 seconds so I imagine even if the first declines the second won't be much longer.

The airport driver was already at the airport too, with Bolt. In the case of scheduling a taxi with Cherry Taxi, the sign person told me to "wait 5 minutes" (was closer to 20)

So that ends scheduled taxis for me ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hal65 said:

I took the trip and hired a Bolt both ways. In both cases the very first driver took the fare. Both asked if I would pay the toll to which I said Yes. Total cost each way was 1,200 + 105 toll. In both cases the very first driver offered the fare (by the app) took it. They only have 10 seconds so I imagine even if the first declines the second won't be much longer.

The airport driver was already at the airport too, with Bolt. In the case of scheduling a taxi with Cherry Taxi, the sign person told me to "wait 5 minutes" (was closer to 20)

So that ends scheduled taxis for me ????

Well done.. You took a taxi to Swampy and back! ????

I consider it a win because it's one less thing to think about (trip planning has a lot going on as it is). I also tried to cut out hotel bookings, that didn't go as well. Probably paid double for an oversized room.

2 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

I consider it a win because it's one less thing to think about (trip planning has a lot going on as it is). I also tried to cut out hotel bookings, that didn't go as well. Probably paid double for an oversized room.

Rack rate will do that! 

• Like 1

Decades ago when I live in patio I used to just come up and enjoy a night in Bangkok before the flight out. Why not?

Just take a bus up to the airport around 4:00 p.m. checking your hotel, grab a bite to eat and go to sleep. As you're in the airport area you can grab some quick transport to the airport or walk

22 minutes ago, Menken said:

Decades ago when I live in patio I used to just come up and enjoy a night in Bangkok before the flight out. Why not?

Just take a bus up to the airport around 4:00 p.m. checking your hotel, grab a bite to eat and go to sleep. As you're in the airport area you can grab some quick transport to the airport or walk

Yeah me too, but it was a long time ago, pre Swampy. GF was with me and we would have a meal out and drinks the night prior..... I have a vague idea it was called Erawan hotel. They always supplied a minibus to the airport. Now I live in Pattaya near the motorway and we have the 'new' airport, it just isn't necessary. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/26/2023 at 8:18 PM, redwood1 said:

leave....If the driver does not want the trip he will reject it and it will go to the loads of other waiting drivers...

Unless it's pssing down with rain. Good luck finding a driver then.

I don't really understand the OPs logic that "it's one less thing to think about". To me, having a taxi booked in advance gives you one less thing to think about on the day. How can not knowing how you'll be getting to the airport be anything but an additional stress?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hal65 said:

You know 100% that you will be getting to the airport with Bolt.

Scheduling in advance adds to the list of preparatory steps on the other hand.

Good to hear.... but I have had quite a few Bolt cars accept regular bookings and not even set off.....makes me think they are not suitable for an airport run.