One Year Extension Based Upon Marriage

Or bypass doing all this BS, get a new Non-O ME visa in Savannakhet and enjoy a holiday from Thailand every 90 days to unwind. The list of requirements for these “temporary extensions” are simply ludicrous and totally unnecessary for those who are here taking care of their wives & families.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Totally Wrong .

The list is a Thai government list of required documents.

If you don't believe it then check other on-line lists before you mislead other readers.

They are all the same.

Since you persist then name your immigration office and my guess is that I can point out a difference to that office from another..

There are approx 75 offices. 

And you start with "totally wrong" 

More strange than your first post..

• Thanks 1

Just switched from an O-A Visa for reason of Retirement to an O Visa for reason of Marriage in Thailand previous to departing for a trio abroad. I cannot address the Pattaya immigration needs but after 12+years in the Kingdom I can state that using an agency for either Visa has been worth the cost to me. I believe therevto be some validity in a good agency knowing the latest local immigration office interpretation as to the stated rules. They know this, and who best to deal with the requests.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Happily not my problem at the moment but just thinking what if it was.I am on a marriage extension, have been for the last 15 years without any major problems .The house is in wifes name .Recently a close friend of the wife about same age, died from stomache cancer, she was married to a Thai so no problems there, but it made me think what if my wife were to die. I am nearly 90, crippled with arthrittis, so not able to change my life very much .I understand I will be given a year to sell, transfer the house to a Thai, but it's the visa situation that worries me, I read on here that a man recently divorced had his marriage visa cancelled as from the date of divorce , as it was no longer valid. how about if my wife died, technically mine would be invalid too.is their any consideration to enable me to dispose of the house?How could I sell it from outside the country ?Also am I expecting too mich for consideration of my personal physical circumstances .I have read as much as I can on line about this problem but can't find any discussion on what happens. Anyone have knowledge of it .My wife dismisses my concerns so won't bring the subject up to ask immigration personell.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:38 AM, trubrit said:

Happily not my problem at the moment but just thinking what if it was.I am on a marriage extension, have been for the last 15 years without any major problems .The house is in wifes name .Recently a close friend of the wife about same age, died from stomache cancer, she was married to a Thai so no problems there, but it made me think what if my wife were to die. I am nearly 90, crippled with arthrittis, so not able to change my life very much .I understand I will be given a year to sell, transfer the house to a Thai, but it's the visa situation that worries me, I read on here that a man recently divorced had his marriage visa cancelled as from the date of divorce , as it was no longer valid. how about if my wife died, technically mine would be invalid too.is their any consideration to enable me to dispose of the house?How could I sell it from outside the country ?Also am I expecting too mich for consideration of my personal physical circumstances .I have read as much as I can on line about this problem but can't find any discussion on what happens. Anyone have knowledge of it .My wife dismisses my concerns so won't bring the subject up to ask immigration personell.

Your post is on a totally different subject than the thread, which explains why you didn't get any responses yet.  May I suggest you repost it as a new topic with a fitting title, e.g. 'House is on wife's name, what if she were to die?'  

• 1 month later...

ello,    I am confused and hope someone can advlse and clarify. ...    turned ln forms  for year extention of marriage visa.(JOMTIAN).  This is forth or fifth time and all seemed in order as the IO accepted and approved the package. BUT,instead of keeping my passport she gave it back and told me to look *online* in 3 or 4 days for visa approval. I asked where on line and she pointed to small slgn on thr counter and had my Thai wife photograph the information on the sign which looked like two or three *links* Also no mention of a home visit like those done the prior times.(no longer being done?) So today I went to the immigration website via my PC ,same site used for ninety day reports, browsed around, but could not find the apprval information or even a place to inquire about approval. Also tried on the cellphone but no luck.      I dread going back to the office as it is a madhouse, and the IOs are overburdened and, understandably, short tempered.  So,a couple of questions please. . . am I wrong in thinking the info will be on the website accessible by Google PC, or is it going to be found only on a cellphone? If on the Thai immigration webesite,where on the site? Also, have the home visits been dropped?   Thanks for any clarification you can firnish.     

On 3/29/2023 at 10:45 PM, Woof999 said:

1.) 2 original handwritten TM7, in blue ink (some will say printed is OK, or black ink is OK, but I always hand write both)

2.) Photocopies of passport data page, plus every page that has anything related to Thailand (x 2)

3.) Copy of original marriage certificate, both sides (x 2)

4.) New (within 6 months I believe) marriage license document that you get from the Bang Lamung district office. Only 20 baht each but can take an hour or two (x 2)

5.) ID card of your wife, copy of both sides on 1 page (X 2)

6.) Copy of your wife's house book (x 2)

7.) Letter from your bank stating the standing of your account - just ask bank for VISA letter (1 original and 1 copy)

8.) Copy of bank statements for at least 2 months prior to date of application - I get 3 months (1 original with bank stamp and 1 copy).

9.) Copy of all relevant pages from your bank book. Main page plus transaction pages - I do the full year from last extension date but I believe they only demand 2 months (x 2)

Note that Jomtien require all the bank info to be dated within 2 days of your visit. You MUST make a small transaction (deposit or withdraw 100 baht or so) so that your bank book and statements are all up to date. Some offices apparently are demanding it's dated the same day as your IO visit, but not so for Jomtien, at least as of mid January this year. 400,000 baht must have been the minimum balance for a full 2 months prior to your application. (I don't know the amounts for the income based method as I don't use it).

10.) Your house lease agreement if renting (x 2)

11.) Copies of house book of your rented house if renting ( x 2)

12.) If house book above does not list your landlord, you might also need a copy of the chanot, both pages - I have to do this (x 2)

13.) Copy of landlords ID card. Both sides on 1 page (x 2)

Note that if you own your condo or you live in your wife's house, the requirements for 10/11/12/13 will be different

14.) 6 photos, 2 per page of you and wife. Outside house with number visible. Kitchen. Sofa. Her wardrobe. Sitting on bed. Near bathroom sink (1 original photos and 1 photocopy)

15.) Hand drawn map of how to get to your house from Jomtien immigration office. I've had highlighted printouts from Google Maps refused. Never had a hand drawn one refused (1 x your original scribble and 1 copy).

16.) Your actual passport (obviously)

17.) 90 day reports up to date

18.) TM30 reporting accurate - I had an issue with this just recently. The house owner name did not match my rental / purchase agreement. It appears that there are 2 houses with the same number and another TM30 report updated my home details with the wrong info. This was sorted the same day but required a nearly 2 hour wait in room 10.

19.) Thick skin and patience (x lots).

20.) Sign every single piece of paper - the worst part of the whole process for me.

Desk 6 for Thai family matters at Jomtien is actually pretty painless and has gotten better over the years, but it's still crazy busy I believe.

EDIT - 2 colour passport photos glued to the TM7 forms. They really do appreciate it if you've already attached them.

OMG 20 documents. No wonder my friend hands over his Passport and bank book to an agent for his extension.  

Hello,    I am confused and hope you can advlse and clarify. ...    turned ln forms  for year extention of marriage visa.(JOMTIAN).  This is forth or fifth time and all seemed in order as the IO accepted and approved the package. BUT,instead of keeping my passport she gave it back and told me to look *online* in 3 or 4 days for visa approval. I asked where on line and she pointed to small slgn on thr counter and had my Thai wife photograph the information on the sign which looked like two or three *links* Also no mention of a home visit like those done the prior times.(no longer being done?) So today I went to the immigration website via my PC ,same site used for ninety day reports, browsed around, but could not find the apprval information or even a place to inquire about approval. Also tried on the cellphone but no luck.      I dread going back to the office as it is a madhouse, and the IOs are overburdened and, understandably, short tempered.  So,a couple of questions please. . . am I wrong in thinking the info will be on the website accessible by Google PC, or is it going to be found only on a cellphone? If on the Thai immigration webesite,where on the site? Also, have the home visits been dropped?   Thanks for any clarification you can firnish.  

7 minutes ago, pans said:

BUT,instead of keeping my passport she gave it back and told me to look *online* in 3 or 4 days for visa approval. I

Just bumping your question.

Perhaps Jomtien is so under the pump they are scheduling this return for stamp.

Hopefully Pattaya folk can advise. 

On 4/17/2023 at 10:38 AM, trubrit said:

When your wife dies, your extension of stay remains valid until its expiry date. It is not the same as with divorce. However, you will not be able to extend further based on marriage to a Thai. In the worst case, use an agent to simplify getting and appropriate extension.