No more commuting? Thailand enshrines work-from-home culture in law

webfact

image.png

Thailand has become the latest country to enshrine rights for digital nomads, offering protection to a growing number of people who are keen to work from home but unsure about the law and guidelines.

The move comes as more employees find the line between their personal life and work is becoming blurred, with bosses expecting them to be available at all hours.

Hence, Thailand has amended its labor law not just for the “benefits of employers’ operations” but also for the “enhancement of employees’ quality of life and work”.

Under the newly amended law, employees have the right to ignore any communication from employers beyond work hours without the fear of a backlash.

The new version of Thailand’s Labor Protection Act will go into effect on April 18.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/no-more-commuting-thailand-enshrines-work-from-home-culture-in-law/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-03-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

Under the newly amended law, employees have the right to ignore any communication from employers beyond work hours without the fear of a backlash.

the title is a bit misleading?

seems like this is mostly about altering the culture of over-work.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has become the latest country to enshrine rights for digital nomads, offering protection to a growing number of people who are keen to work from home but unsure about the law and guidelines.

Well this is Thailand and we know how slow the law is.

On 3/30/2023 at 8:20 AM, webfact said:

Thailand has become the latest country to enshrine rights for digital nomads,

I'm guessing there is a bit of a language thing going on here otherwise the person who wrote this has no idea about the difference between work at home and digital nomad. Quality stuff or maye it's AI. Thai version. Moving on from this is this...

On 3/30/2023 at 8:20 AM, webfact said:

Yeh right! "without the fear of a backlash" I'm your superior. How dare you ignore my communications. I have lost face. What are you going to do about it? As for this is now law fairly sure drink driving etc etc etc is unlawful.

No more commuting? Thailand enshrines work-from-home culture in law

• Like 1

a few years ago when i worked as an information manager for the NHS i was hauled over the coals for answering and actioning an email sent by a very influential senior board member, out of hours (Major Project transferring data and implementing a new system). Apparently I was too efficient and made my colleagues look bad, if i hadn't answered it there would have been hell to pay for our team. Needless to say the board member in question wasn't notified of my censure

Article says "According to the law, employees can refuse any communication with their bosses outside working hours unless agreed otherwise in advance."

So employment contract just needs to state "employees may need to acknowledge/respond to work related communications outside specified working hours".