They stole my peanut butter!

Going through departures baggage check, the checkers decided my 100g of peanut butter in a transparent screw top plastic container was probibited and removed it. I protested and put it back in my case. No, cannot, they take it out again. Why? Liquid! Not liquid. Food. I open and dip my finger in. They all pull faces of disgust. They don't even know what it is. I explain. Peanuts.  No, cannot. Of course they win. But why?

• Haha 2

spacer.png

You don't say where you're departing from.

Peanut butter was in the news a week ago. Thought your 100g would be a small enough quantity.  

TSA confirms it considers peanut butter a liquid

CNN) – The Transportation Security Administration has confirmed it considers peanut butter a liquid which means you aren’t allowed to bring large containers of it onto planes.

• Sad 1

https://www.sciencefriday.com/articles/why-you-cant-bring-a-jar-of-peanut-butter-on-a-plane/

The molecular makeup of the explosive nitroglycerin, for instance, is similar to peanut butter’s. They’re both made from carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen—and yet one is a liquid explosive while the other is just, well, delicious.

• Like 1

The peanut butter bomber. And really, how much better can you hide your Semtex :cheesy:

Nothing compared to my big tube of Swiss mustard :biggrin:

A short moment of inattention and it landed in the wrong bag.

Get over it and be happy it was not a 5000 Baht perfume for the lady.

34 minutes ago, robblok said:

Liquid is liquid and sure its peanut butter but if they let this go then they will be challenged for everything. Look its gel not a liquid and so on. Then later bombs are hidden in peanut butter.

I get it its annoying but its almost impossible for rules to have many exceptions as then the danger increases. Before nobody thought liquids were dangerous until it was used for bombs. Better safe then sorry.

Sorry for your huge loss. 

Yeah, sure. But I had an equal amount of Shea butter in my laptop bag. And erythritol. And inulin. No problem! And a carton of Pla Ra? No problem! Or most popular of all, collagen. And so many security, so few brains.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

I am curious, why the need to travel by air with peanut butter?

The brand I buy in Thailand off Lazada is a great snack in small quantities. High protein, high fat, zero sugar, zero salt, zero additives, low carb. Easy, or so I thought, to transport. I was served an utterly revolting concoction of "chicken à la god knows what" in flight. Only version of peanut butter I can find at my destination, Philippines, is high sugar, palm oil laced, high salt. I try and go prepared for the dietary shock of Philippines, but the Thais put the mockers on that.

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

What about blood? That's liquid until it splatters all over the inside of the cabin at 32,000 feet. Why aren't they draining it all out of our bodies before we fly? And urine? And we're 55-60% water. So basically were fluids. Inside a mesh of cells, muscle fibre, veins, arteries. We leak, we change shape. Why are we allowed to fly at all? Sorry sir, you can't take that body on the plane. You'll have to check it in. It can go in the hold. The rest of you can proceed. Next!

Edited by bradiston
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Yeah, sure. But I had an equal amount of Shea butter in my laptop bag. And erythritol. And inulin. No problem! And a carton of Pla Ra? No problem! Or most popular of all, collagen. And so many security, so few brains.

Then it is crazy but why carry this in carry on luggage its asking for trouble.

57 minutes ago, bradiston said:

The brand I buy in Thailand off Lazada is a great snack in small quantities. High protein, high fat, zero sugar, zero salt, zero additives, low carb. Easy, or so I thought, to transport. I was served an utterly revolting concoction of "chicken à la god knows what" in flight. Only version of peanut butter I can find at my destination, Philippines, is high sugar, palm oil laced, high salt. I try and go prepared for the dietary shock of Philippines, but the Thais put the mockers on that.

Ahhhh, I forgot, it's a 3 day flight between Thailand and the Philippines. One wouldn't want to starve or try to find an alternative snack.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Then it is crazy but why carry this in carry on luggage its asking for trouble.

They weren't interested in the Erythritol, or the Inulin. Both are powders. They only removed the peanut butter. I guess it looked tasty. And I don't do checked luggage, ever. These were really small items. Less than 100g. I had a 100ml shampoo bottle, but you couldn't see the contents. Utterly pointless. Just bored "security".

7 hours ago, bradiston said:

They weren't interested in the Erythritol, or the Inulin. Both are powders. They only removed the peanut butter. I guess it looked tasty. And I don't do checked luggage, ever. These were really small items. Less than 100g. I had a 100ml shampoo bottle, but you couldn't see the contents. Utterly pointless. Just bored "security".

Gels, pastes etc have to conform to the 100ml rule but with powders there's some ambiguity.  Your 100g of peanut butter would surely be less but how would they know when asked to make an on-the-spot decision?

Blame Abdulla Ahmed Ali for it, but I think it'll be relaxed soon with the new generation scanners now available.

8 hours ago, treetops said:

Gels, pastes etc have to conform to the 100ml rule but with powders there's some ambiguity.  Your 100g of peanut butter would surely be less but how would they know when asked to make an on-the-spot decision?

Blame Abdulla Ahmed Ali for it, but I think it'll be relaxed soon with the new generation scanners now available.

I don't fly very often these days. But here are some other details that took me by surprise.

1. Arrived 3 hours before flight. Queue already a mile long. Overall took 1 1/2 hours to check in. Just 3 counters open. I'd already checked in online, got my seat etc. Made no difference. The "Bag drop" queue was full of people with multiple suitcases.

2. Arriving at Manila NAIA found I needed a QR code to register. No mention on the YouTube videos I watched. No mention preflight. Major hassle.

3. My bus connection went from Terminal 3. I was at Terminal 2. 200 PHP taxi ride between terminals.

So my takeaway is, if you fly only a couple of times a year, you're going to get caught out one way or another.

19 hours ago, bradiston said:

Then its your own mistake if problems arise. Its tough but that is the way it is. And no they dont check powders. 

I get you dont do checked luggage, it makes things faster but it has its downsides too like you found out.

Its not really a matter who is right or wrong as arguing with officials will almost never work. So all you can do is trying to avoid the problem with checked luggage if that is not an option for you then just accept that there could be problems. Sometimes there are only imperfect solutions.