House Building In Amnat Charoen

Raindancer

Hi

I  am looking for any tips on my proposal to build a bungalow on land that my wife owns.

The ground has been prepared for the past 18 months and has now settled.

The new bungalow is 1 km from the village, so hopefully far enough away from too many intrusions.

1.    Proposed to build a well using solar.

2.   Single construction measuring approx 150 to 170 sq metres.   Plus a two metre path at the sides and back.  And a 5 metre deep 10 metre wide porch at the front of the house.

3.  I have drawn up plans and would need the builder to see over them.

4.   Local electricity runs past the property.  So that should not present a problem, linking to the house.

5.  I am considering installing solar panels as a back up, to run if necessary, until any power failure is restored.

That is the outline.  So any help or pitfalls I might encounter would be appreciated. 

I am still calculating costs, allowing for 20% over run.  But it is well within my affordability.

I have lived here for many years now, so am aware of a few things I might encounter.

But the brother in law and wife's brothers will be on hand if necessary to smooth things over.

Thank you for any views you might have.

And finally.  I am not overly concerned about hospitals/ airports/ facilities etc.  I have done all the research before making this decision.

And yes, I have read many negative stories about village reactions to a Farang moving into the village area. And many wished that they had never moved for a variety of reasons.

I get on extremely well with every member of my wife's family.  And I see no reason for that to change.

And for all the years I have lived here and numerous visits to the village, I have always been made welcome.   Of course that might change when I move down there.  Not a great concern for me.  But there will always be one or two with the " green eye"

Regards

Edited by Raindancer
Correction

1 hour ago, Raindancer said:

1.    Proposed to build a well using solar.

can you explain this bit please?

what's your budget out of interest?

I've been living in a foreign country for a while, new to Thailand but would love to take on a project like this...... good luck with it all!

6 minutes ago, driver52 said:

can you explain this bit please?

what's your budget out of interest?

I've been living in a foreign country for a while, new to Thailand but would love to take on a project like this...... good luck with it all!

The budget for all solar installations on my project is a variable feast.  Every solar installation is different, depending on panels, batteries etc.  So, there would be little point in me naming my budget for my build.

But the solar for the well can range from 30k upwards.   I envisage somewhat more than that because of the power that I wish to draw the water into the storage tanks.   

Edited by Raindancer

16 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

But the solar for the well can range from 30k upwards.   I envisage somewhat more than that because of the power that I wish to draw the water into the storage tanks

ok interesting, I've got a well at my place in france.......not sure my priority would be to use solar to power the pump for the well.......why not just collect rainwater as stage 1 and then power an electric pump to get water out the well when your rainwater runs dry? I can understand you wanting solar and some new fangled batteries but then you just power the house, pump, etc from the batteries/mains as appropriate......

how much are solar panels over here? in france you get a 400watt panel for about 175 euros, so 2kw of panels is not a lot of dosh nowadays.....and 2kw is loads in my book.....guess it depends how many air con units you need to run though......everything else seems to take naff all power

Edited by driver52

8 minutes ago, driver52 said:

ok interesting, I've got a well at my place in france.......not sure my priority would be to use solar to power the pump for the well.......why not just collect rainwater as stage 1 and then power an electric pump to get water out the well when your rainwater runs dry? I can understand you wanting solar and some new fangled batteries but then you just power the house, pump, etc from the batteries/mains as appropriate......

how much are solar panels over here? in france you get a 400watt panel for about 175 euros, so 2kw of panels is not a lot of dosh nowadays.....and 2kw is loads in my book.....guess it depends how many air con units you need to run though......everything else seems to take naff all power

Interesting idea.  Thank you.  But rainwater in Issan is a rare commodity.  The reason for solar is to ensure a constant supply if needed and the unpredictability of 365/24/7 power supply in this area, based upon personal experience.

Plus all water would require running through an Osmosis filtration system, before use within the house.   And yes, that would be by water pump, with solar back up

So, still considering all options for belt and braces eventuality.

Edited by Raindancer

11 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

Plus all water would require running through an Osmosis filtration system, before use within the house.

i'm not an expert on water but for me the simplest solution is to buy large bottles for drinking/cooking ie those 10/20 litre bottles and have one of those standalone 'water cooler machines'........then you only need other water for your sink, toilet and shower.........which is not a helluva lot in my case ????

PS the well can pump into a 'pressurized container' that was my setup, it was only about 150-200 litres I think......it was in the cellar

Edited by driver52

12 minutes ago, driver52 said:

i'm not an expert on water but for me the simplest solution is to buy large bottles for drinking/cooking ie those 10/20 litre bottles and have one of those standalone 'water cooler machines'........then you only need other water for your sink, toilet and shower.........which is not a helluva lot in my case ????

PS the well can pump into a 'pressurized container' that was my setup, it was only about 150-200 litres I think......it was in the cellar

Many thanks.

13 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

Interesting idea.  Thank you.  But rainwater in Issan is a rare commodity.  The reason for solar is to ensure a constant supply if needed and the unpredictability of 365/24/7 power supply in this area, based upon personal experience.

Plus all water would require running through an Osmosis filtration system, before use within the house.   And yes, that would be by water pump, with solar back up

So, still considering all options for belt and braces eventuality.

It will be a challenge but worthwhile in the end. I built my own house in 2009, drew up some sketches, a friend then tarted them up on Autocad and we got an architect to turn them into plans and then found a builder. That wasn't an easy job as I went for cavity wall construction.

Best advice I can give is try and be on site every day and check what they are doing, I had an excellent builder but even those make mistakes.

As far as water is concerned no need to overthink it. We do not have mains water we store rainwater and have a well. We live in Chonburi which is about the driest province in Thailand and get enough rainwater for most of the year, would get it for the whole year if I bought some more tanks. The rainfall will be more than you ever need.

Are you talking well or bore hole? Our well is only about 8 metres deep and I have a Hitachi double jet deep well pump and just ran a cable to it.

We don't have a problem with electricity but if I was starting over I think I would try and go with solar as the main power source. One of the big problems is heat coming through the roof and the panels would go a long way to reduce that. Good luck.

17 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It will be a challenge but worthwhile in the end. I built my own house in 2009, drew up some sketches, a friend then tarted them up on Autocad and we got an architect to turn them into plans and then found a builder. That wasn't an easy job as I went for cavity wall construction.

Best advice I can give is try and be on site every day and check what they are doing, I had an excellent builder but even those make mistakes.

As far as water is concerned no need to overthink it. We do not have mains water we store rainwater and have a well. We live in Chonburi which is about the driest province in Thailand and get enough rainwater for most of the year, would get it for the whole year if I bought some more tanks. The rainfall will be more than you ever need.

Are you talking well or bore hole? Our well is only about 8 metres deep and I have a Hitachi double jet deep well pump and just ran a cable to it.

We don't have a problem with electricity but if I was starting over I think I would try and go with solar as the main power source. One of the big problems is heat coming through the roof and the panels would go a long way to reduce that. Good luck.

Thank you for the excellent advice.   I was considering a bore hole, which I probably mis wrote as a well.

The rain idea is starting to intrigue me.  Would need to see how I get that into the house properly filtered.    Still researching everything and in discussion with an excellent plumber.

The roof would be triple layered with foil with a sandwich of roof insulation material or something similar, which a neighbour had installed and keeps the house very cool.

Plus I would add solar panels to the roof.

Regards

23 hours ago, Raindancer said:

Thank you for the excellent advice.   I was considering a bore hole, which I probably mis wrote as a well.

The rain idea is starting to intrigue me.  Would need to see how I get that into the house properly filtered.    Still researching everything and in discussion with an excellent plumber.

The roof would be triple layered with foil with a sandwich of roof insulation material or something similar, which a neighbour had installed and keeps the house very cool.

Plus I would add solar panels to the roof.

Regards

Bore holes are quite deep, heard of one down 80m, not sure what sort of pump you need for those. 

We don't filter the rainwater for general use. We have one tank that we use for water that is then filtered for drinking and cooking. We only collect rain into that tank during a downpour once it is running off the roof relatively clean.

We have foil backed insulation under the tiles and louvred panels at each end of the roofspace but still gets quite hot up there. In a previous life I used design thermal   appliances and you cannot stop direct conducted heat, you have to try and block the source or take the heat away.

Putting solar panels on the roof will block some of the sun's radiation and the gap between the panels and the roof will create a venturi which should help cool the tiles underneath. Along with the conversion of solar energy to power a worthwhile investment, a bit late in the day for me now.

After 13 years we now have some fairly large trees in the garden providing natural shade to a large part of the roof.

day78_3.JPG

day28_5.JPG

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Bore holes are quite deep, heard of one down 80m, not sure what sort of pump you need for those. 

We don't filter the rainwater for general use. We have one tank that we use for water that is then filtered for drinking and cooking. We only collect rain into that tank during a downpour once it is running off the roof relatively clean.

We have foil backed insulation under the tiles and louvred panels at each end of the roofspace but still gets quite hot up there. In a previous life I used design thermal   appliances and you cannot stop direct conducted heat, you have to try and block the source or take the heat away.

Putting solar panels on the roof will block some of the sun's radiation and the gap between the panels and the roof will create a venturi which should help cool the tiles underneath. Along with the conversion of solar energy to power a worthwhile investment, a bit late in the day for me now.

After 13 years we now have some fairly large trees in the garden providing natural shade to a large part of the roof.

day78_3.JPG

day28_5.JPG

Thank you again.   I am considering and researching all your ideas on water collection.

Slightly confused by your water collection that you don't use rainwater for domestic use.  And you have another tank that is filtered into the house.

Is this tank fed from your well by electric pump?

Regards

Edited by Raindancer
Additional comments

16 hours ago, Raindancer said:

Thank you again.   I am considering and researching all your ideas on water collection.

Slightly confused by your water collection that you don't use rainwater for domestic use.  And you have another tank that is filtered into the house.

Is this tank fed from your well by electric pump?

Regards

Sorry if I didn't word it very well. I had guttering put up all around the roof and have about 20K litres of storage available. Primary collection is in one corner with some collection at 2 other corners. This is down to the guttering not all going up at the same time, something I regretted later.

During the wet season we just use the rainwater from the storage tanks for general use, showers, toilets and washing up.

As said I have a seperate tank where collection is done more carefully and that is then taken out manually and filtered for cooking and drinking.

Once the rain comes to an end the main tank has a ball valve and will be topped up from the well for part of the dry season, the water from the well is mainly used for the garden.

Since 2016 we have had some rain in Feb/Mar time so I only top up from the well until about Jan. Prior to 2016 I needed quite a lot of well water during the winter but the continuous dry spell has shortened quite significantly. I can get the best part of 1000 litres form one heavy shower and we have had 3 so far this year since Christmas.

You need to work out your usage and make some estimate on requirements, there is only 2 of us and I work on 200 litres/day which has worked out fairly well over the years.

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Sorry if I didn't word it very well. I had guttering put up all around the roof and have about 20K litres of storage available. Primary collection is in one corner with some collection at 2 other corners. This is down to the guttering not all going up at the same time, something I regretted later.

During the wet season we just use the rainwater from the storage tanks for general use, showers, toilets and washing up.

As said I have a seperate tank where collection is done more carefully and that is then taken out manually and filtered for cooking and drinking.

Once the rain comes to an end the main tank has a ball valve and will be topped up from the well for part of the dry season, the water from the well is mainly used for the garden.

Since 2016 we have had some rain in Feb/Mar time so I only top up from the well until about Jan. Prior to 2016 I needed quite a lot of well water during the winter but the continuous dry spell has shortened quite significantly. I can get the best part of 1000 litres form one heavy shower and we have had 3 so far this year since Christmas.

You need to work out your usage and make some estimate on requirements, there is only 2 of us and I work on 200 litres/day which has worked out fairly well over the years.

Ok.  Fully understand your system now.  I appreciate the time you have taken to provide me with various options and tips. 

Many thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I lived in Amnat about 15 years ago, and built a house in a rice field a couple of kms from the mooban with my closest neighbour about 500m away.

It was my first year living in Thailand and it was a good experience and I enjoyed the life for about a year or so.

I found the lack of nearby facilities eventually got to me and eventually moved to a busier coastal area which I found suited me more.

So good luck with your venture!

Curious what part of Amnat will you be living in, I was near Lue Amnat..

1 minute ago, LosLobo said:

I lived in Amnat about 15 years ago, and built a house in a rice field a couple of kms from the mooban with my closest neighbour about 500m away.

It was my first year living in Thailand and it was a good experience and I enjoyed the life for about a year or so.

I found the lack of nearby facilities eventually got to me and eventually moved to a busier coastal area which I found suited me more.

So good luck with your venture!

Curious what part of Amnat will you be living in, I was near Lue Amnat..

Thanks for your thoughtful insight.   

I have been planning to do this for the past 14 years.  And the house build area is some 18kms from Amnat. 

My wife and I are still discussing the pros and cons, although the land is ready, I am now not 100% convinced at this point in time now, having received a large number of private messages from well wishers, who had already moved out there and then moved back to a city, for a variety of good reasons.

But, I thank all those who have been kind enough to pass on their views. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

I have been planning to do this for the past 14 years.  And the house build area is some 18kms from Amnat. 

My wife and I are still discussing the pros and cons, although the land is ready, I am now not 100% convinced at this point in time now, having received a large number of private messages from well wishers, who had already moved out there and then moved back to a city, for a variety of good reasons.

Would it not be better then to rent a place till you decide if YOU ( not your wife ) want to live there permanently?

My wife had a cunning plan to get me to live in the village and support her there ( many hints about building a house for her ) and basically made it a fait accompli, but her plan fell apart when I decided I was not going to live there.

I don't think she ever got over it.

It would have been better if I had refused in the first place and just visited occasionally.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Would it not be better then to rent a place till you decide if YOU ( not your wife ) want to live there permanently?

My wife already owns a house in the village.  That is why we were considering moving outside of it.   I have lived there and the people are great.   But we wanted some more privacy and quieter surroundings.

9 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

My wife already owns a house in the village.  That is why we were considering moving outside of it.   I have lived there and the people are great.   But we wanted some more privacy and quieter surroundings.

I added a bit to my post after you posted that.

It has to be about what you want, for obvious reasons. I'm sure she wants to live there, as my wife did, but it was just not possible in the end and I was leaving with or without her.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Love It 1

20 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

I was 45 km out so you are much closer to facilities than I was.

I had some western friends who would live there only 50% of the time and that seemed to work out.

One thing that I found was the medical facilities in Amnat were lacking compared to say Ubon or Khon Kaen.

Depending on your health and age this may be a necessary consideration.

But as they say different strokes.....

One thing I noticed in your OP was that you intended to Osmosis filter all your house water.

Depending on the bore water condition this may be overkill and unnecessary unless you have analysis of it.

I found drinking water from 20litre bottles seemed to be fine for me.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I added a bit to my post after you posted that.

It has to be about what you want, for obvious reasons. I'm sure she wants to live there, as my wife did, but it was just not possible in the end and I was leaving with or without her.

Absolutely.  My wife is the cautious one and happy to stay where we are for now.

But equally, she has no problem with us moving there. 

Whilst my health has never been an issue,  she is aware of my age and that the medical facilities down there are quite a way from the new build.    And indeed, not as good as where we are now.

Hence her wise input to our decision. 

13 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I was 45 km out so you are much closer to facilities than I was.

I had some western friends who would live there only 50% of the time and that seemed to work out.

One thing that I found was the medical facilities in Amnat were lacking compared to say Ubon or Khon Kaen.

Depending on your health and age this may be a necessary consideration.

But as they say different strokes.....

One thing I noticed in your OP was that you intended to Osmosis filter all your house water.

Depending on the bore water condition this may be overkill and unnecessary unless you have analysis of it.

I found drinking water from 20litre bottles seemed to be fine for me.

Thank you for all of that.   As you will see from.another answer I provided to a poster, it's all under consideration. 

I am glad I posted this subject.  It has given me more food for thought.

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Raindancer said:

Absolutely.  My wife is the cautious one and happy to stay where we are for now.

But equally, she has no problem with us moving there. 

Whilst my health has never been an issue,  she is aware of my age and that the medical facilities down there are quite a way from the new build.    And indeed, not as good as where we are now.

Hence her wise input to our decision. 

You sound like you know what you need to do, given your age, and I'm of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it ( ie, if she is happy to stay, why not do so? ).

Good luck.

• Love It 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

You sound like you know what you need to do, given your age, and I'm of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it ( ie, if she is happy to stay, why not do so? ).

Good luck.

????????????  Brilliant response.  And you are absolutely right.  I will take your advice.

Thank you.

Regards

PS, I'm a country boy so I was initially happy to live in the village, and was planning to get into gardening big time, but events changed that and I just couldn't stay any more. It's not like the city where one can move a short distance given an abundance of housing.

We ended up moving into a family house in Lamphun, which was OK, though I'd have preferred Pattaya, but for financial reasons not possible. So, in the end neither of us were happy with our situation, while we'd both been happy enough in Pattaya before.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

PS, I'm a country boy so I was initially happy to live in the village, and was planning to get into gardening big time, but events changed that and I just couldn't stay any more. It's not like the city where one can move a short distance given an abundance of housing.

We ended up moving into a family house in Lamphun, which was OK, though I'd have preferred Pattaya, but for financial reasons not possible. So, in the end neither of us were happy with our situation, while we'd both been happy enough in Pattaya before.

I am also not a city boy.  And had the same modus operandi as you.  But I live in an extremely quiet Mooban with no noisy dogs, or parties.

Traffic is also virtually non existent.  

Sorry to hear that you are both somewhat unhappy.  Just enjoy each day you are given!   It is better than the alternative????

As for Pattaya, no thanks.   Might suit many, but I prefer Chiang Mai and my lovely home.