Current land values and demand...

jackcrawford

Hello, Been a while since I looked into this.

Curious about any factual info on the range of land prices in Chiang Rai.
The pandemic and lack of foreigners probably affected it one way or the other.

But I believe Thai buyers could be a legitimate force, too.
Hoping to avoid the responses that are just bitterness or boredom.

Does anyone have useful knowledge of what clear land is selling for?

Of course it varies.

This would concern a good size plot, on a gentle slope, not far from the city (less than 5 kilo).

Full chanote, water, electric.

Per rai range?

Thanks in advance to those with good knowledge to share.

1 hour ago, jackcrawford said:

Interesting. I will check it out! Thank you.

Pretty meaningless really since almost everyone lies to the LO regarding the price paid for the land in order to reduce taxes. I sold a condo in CM ten years ago at market rate for 6.3 mill., the LO registered price was 3.4 mill.! The only requirement the LO has is that the sale price today cannot be lower than it was previously, or, less than their most recent valuation (which may be a decade old).

There are so many variables involved in land pricing, including, access to a road, land usage, utilities installed or not, proximity to expansion areas etc etc. If you want to buy prime agricultural land you'll pay substantially more than paddy land, even if they are virtually  adjacent lots.

Impossible to answer or even guess.

As suggested, pop into the land office, when you find something that interest you, and they'll give you the ballpark appraisal.

Compare that to the market, and find something acceptable to your budget/needs.

If new to CR area, do consider the very poor air quality 6 months of the year.

JIC you don't know ... you can not own land in TH.   Condos only.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 1:53 AM, rcjoop said:

If you know the location and title deed number you can check what price the land office assumes, probably for calculations of minimum tax, transfer fees. Perhaps useful for you

https://landsmaps.dol.go.th/

Checked it out! Very useful. Thank you. It gives at least a base to work off, knowing supply/demand and the particular attributes of the plot can raise (or lower) it. It said 2050 bait per tahlang wah in that area.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Pretty meaningless really since almost everyone lies to the LO regarding the price paid for the land in order to reduce taxes. I sold a condo in CM ten years ago at market rate for 6.3 mill., the LO registered price was 3.4 mill.! The only requirement the LO has is that the sale price today cannot be lower than it was previously, or, less than their most recent valuation (which may be a decade old).

There are so many variables involved in land pricing, including, access to a road, land usage, utilities installed or not, proximity to expansion areas etc etc. If you want to buy prime agricultural land you'll pay substantially more than paddy land, even if they are virtually  adjacent lots.

Totally agree. In no way is it an accurate price, as the laws of capitalism will prevail. But it gave me at least a base to start from.

• Like 1

Last year, we bought land in Phayao about 65 km from downtown Chiang Rai. When we paid the transfer tax at the land office, their assessed value for the land was fairly close to what we paid - 650K per rai. This was a rice paddy, but with considerable frontage on a major road and the owner was fairly desperate to sell. Fill dirt to make the land ready for construction was another 150K per rai.

Obviously, land closer to downtown Chiang Rai will be considerably more expensive, but in our case the assessed value at the land office was very close to what we paid.