where can i buy sorghum seeds to grow ?

fredbe

9 hours ago, fredbe said:

thanks, did you try it ?

No i haven't,only used a couple of their maize varieties.

There is no local market around here to sell to the grain.

Many years a go i grew a variety the Thai's called Jumbo in the cool season for cattle feed.

It grew well with minimal attention

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

No i haven't,only used a couple of their maize varieties.

There is no local market around here to sell to the grain.

Many years a go i grew a variety the Thai's called Jumbo in the cool season for cattle feed.

It grew well with minimal attention

thanks Mate

On 4/8/2023 at 7:38 AM, fredbe said:

thanks Mate

As FJ said, it use to be a popular crop, we grew it once it fell out of favor as a difficult crop to harvest, seed heads use to be cut by hand, use to itch, the skin, all cut on pice work need to keep going to make any money ,payed per sack cut.

Now we have combines to harvest the crop, we had one in, very little is grown, seems if cane and cassava has taken over 

Some farmers in my area grow white Sorghum and cut it for cattle feed, what FJ said about Jumbo, Jumbo is a hybrid a cross of Napier and Sorghum ,as he said feed to cattle in the cool season, it has no seeds, like Sorghum .

The Sorghum for humans is normally the white seed sorghum the brown seed is mainly used as a livestock feed, humans can eat the brown seeds, but saying that  looking at Lazada it is the brown seed they  sell for humans, must be newer verities around.

• Like 1

In the supermarkets I have seen bags by the kilo. It is actually easy to grow if you have the right soil and self seeding once established. Not to say its a weed that is hard to fight if unattended.

Finally I made it green manure/mulch before flowering to get control over it.

For rotational pastures I definitely see a lot of potential (mixed with other grasses, pinto peanuts and Moringa) but otherwise do yourself a favor and buy kilo bags at Big C... 

You want to take the risks above link helps: Pacific 99 has the biggest yield (a ton per Rai) and high resistance.

Edited by Reginald Prewster
  • Like 2

I think long time ago I've read something about the difference of sorghum for feed and human consumption. It was some bitter tasting ingredient / bitter taste of the grains if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kickstart said:

As FJ said, it use to be a popular crop, we grew it once it fell out of favor as a difficult crop to harvest, seed heads use to be cut by hand, use to itch, the skin, all cut on pice work need to keep going to make any money ,payed per sack cut.

Now we have combines to harvest the crop, we had one in, very little is grown, seems if cane and cassava has taken over 

Some farmers in my area grow white Sorghum and cut it for cattle feed, what FJ said about Jumbo, Jumbo is a hybrid a cross of Napier and Sorghum ,as he said feed to cattle in the cool season, it has no seeds, like Sorghum .

The Sorghum for humans is normally the white seed sorghum the brown seed is mainly used as a livestock feed, humans can eat the brown seeds, but saying that  looking at Lazada it is the brown seed they  sell for humans, must be newer verities around.

Do you mean the red sorgho ? Is it the good one to eat for human ?

R.jfif

1 hour ago, fredbe said:

Do you mean the red sorgho ? Is it the good one to eat for human ?

R.jfif 39.86 kB · 5 downloads

Mine I planted came from Big C out of the shelf where they have all this dry stuff. It was about 70 Baht as far I remember and the germination rate was ok. 

The red Pacific 99 I chopped down as I caught the bird flu.. 

Good mulch by the way as the plants grow way above a meter before flowering...  

6 hours ago, Reginald Prewster said:

In the supermarkets I have seen bags by the kilo. It is actually easy to grow if you have the right soil and self seeding once established. Not to say its a weed that is hard to fight if unattended.

Finally I made it green manure/mulch before flowering to get control over it.

For rotational pastures I definitely see a lot of potential (mixed with other grasses, pinto peanuts and Moringa) but otherwise do yourself a favor and buy kilo bags at Big C... 

You want to take the risks above link helps: Pacific 99 has the biggest yield (a ton per Rai) and high resistance.

Problem with buying the Pacific 99verity you will probable have to buy it in a 10 kg box enough for a few rie  and it would be a livestock feed verity ,I would say the op would only want 1 or 2? kg for the garden?

It will self-seed but second time round the yield will be a lot lower, better to use it as an annual plant, sowing seeds every year.

As for growing it in a mixed sward, sorghum will grow a lot taller than the other plants, could be a shading problem. also Sorghum likes lot of fertilizer, it is a hungry crop, growing it with other legumes, that do not need little or no urea ..........,, yes it will pick up some N from the growing legumes, but will it be enough.

Aphids can be a problem, they will attack the flowers, a lot will depend on the weather ,we were lucky we had no problem with aphids, it is a just depends. 

The photo the op posted, that looks like what we grew for livestock feed ,try a kg from say Big C, and seed can be kept back for the following year.