When USA Driver's License about to expire, do banks auto request updated DL info (new Expiry Date, etc.).?

Two Questions:

1) I may not be able to renew my USA Driver's License by the expiration date.

I can't recall how it worked with previous expirations of my Driver's Licenses - does the bank auto request updated renewal info when the License is about to expire?

(DL was always used as personal ID to open accounts);

2) Has anyone switched to a State ID Card after previously having a DL?

If so,  and if the  State ID card has the same Profile info as the DL - Address/Phone/etc. -  was it a simple transition or was it a hassle because Bank Accounts/Credit Cards treated it like when initially opening the account and want to again verify Address/Phone/Email etc.?

Edited by JimmyJ

As far as I know, and I'm pretty sure of it, NO bank has any DL info on me in their files.  It is used as a govt issued photo ID only.  TBS I have not opened a new bank account of any kind in the past five years at least but when I do visit a local branch they are looking for a match on the photo only.  It's possible things have changed.

Edited by bluebluewater
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

For me maintaining a USA DL gives me satisfaction. My last renewal was for 10 yrs.

Yes it's desirable.

But beyond the logistical issues of renewing (sometimes you need to be there to do it) there is in most states a legal document you must sign affirming you are actually a state resident. So if you sign that making a false statement you have committed a crime. I don’t like that but it's true.

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes it's desirable.

But beyond the logistical issues of renewing (sometimes you need to be there to do it) there is in most states a legal document you must sign affirming you are actually a state resident. So if you sign that making a false statement you have committed a crime. I don’t like that but it's true.

When I was at DMV last time I tried using my PO Box which looks like a home address on paper. The lady looks up and casually says, so you live in a box? it was funny. I put in my actual physical address.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

1) I may not be able to renew my USA Driver's License by the expiration date.

I was able to get my state DMV to extend my existing license's expiration date by one year... on the basis of being abroad and not willing to travel at the time due to COVID.

You might call them up on the phone and see if they'd be willing to grant you an extra year because you're working / traveling, etc abroad.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I can't recall how it worked with previous expirations of my Driver's Licenses - does the bank auto request updated renewal info when the License is about to expire?

(DL was always used as personal ID to open accounts);

On my most recent cycle, I had one bank call me up and ask if my DL info had changed. Haven't had any contact or issues on the subject of the DL from any of the others.

But it certainly would arise...if you were needing to open a NEW account in the future.

11 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

As far as I know, and I'm pretty sure of it, NO bank has any DL info on me in their files.  It is used as a govt issued photo ID only. 

I think every US bank or CU that I've ever opened a new account with in the past decade has wanted my DL or state ID details as part of the application process....

I remember one time, I tried using my US passport # in lieu of my DL number, which that bank's system supposedly allowed. And in the end, that bank ended up contacting me once I had submitted the application and demanded that I provide the DL info, even though they already had my passport info.

The DL has address info on it. The passport does not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

For me maintaining a USA DL gives me satisfaction. My last renewal was for 10 yrs.

From what I've encountered, a common scenario seems to be that U.S. DMVs will allow the first renewal to be done remotely, but then the 2nd renewal often needs to be done in person.

Common DL durations seem to often be 5 or 6 years... So you would only face having to show up in person every decade or so.... if you're lucky!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

On my most recent cycle, I had one bank call me up and ask if my DL info had changed. Haven't had any contact or issues on the subject of the DL from any of the others.

But it certainly would arise...if you were needing to open a NEW account in the future.

So they called knowing the info they had on your DL had passed its Expiration date?

18 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

So they called knowing the info they had on your DL had passed its Expiration date?

yep... just one among many of my accounts.

I just told them the original expiration date had been extended for another year, and they were fine. End of story.

I don't know what they would have said or done if I had told them my DL had expired. We never got to that point.

PS - Trying to recall, I don't think they literally called me on the DL deal. I think we were talking on the phone about some misc. banking piece of business, and the rep for whatever reason during our conversation raised that topic out of the blue and asked me about it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

I had to update my DL to Experian (I had to scan and Email a copy of my DL) before banks allow opening new accounts.

Then after getting Experian to approve (took 24h) I used their info up update 2 others; Equifax and TransUnion. Now I should be OK for a while.

If those 3 don't see any activity for 2 years they put file "on hold" and delete credit score, which I've had highest for 30 years.

Now I try to open CD accounts which I could not do earlier.

However, makes me rethink putting money to European banks....

If putting money IN is this difficult in the States how difficult it's to withdraw?

Scares the hell out of me. Specially when I may be on the other side of the world...

• Like 1

I have a California license that was about to expire ! I simply renewed

it online!

The Dmv sent it to the usa address, I think within 10 days .

My kid took a pic of the front and back and txt me it , gave the license to my other kid and mailed it off to Thailand.

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, riclag said:

I have a California license that was about to expire ! I simply renewed

it online!

The Dmv sent it to the usa address, I think within 10 days .

My kid took a pic of the front and back and txt me it , gave the license to my other kid and mailed it off to Thailand.

Different states do it differently. I keep my class A so a bit different. Bottom line is for me keeping my DL is important. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You can open a new US account at State Department Federal Credit Union based on a passport and foreign address.  Understandably they deal with a lot of expats!

Once one does that the 3 major Credit Agencies must record it, and I would think if one applies for a bank account or CC  after that using a USA residential address it could likely be denied.

If you did this, have you looked at your credit report from 1 of the 3 agencies since - Wondering how your address is dealt with on it.

Have you gotten any flack - perhaps at the time when a cc is expiring  and the company.is about to send an updated card - from one of your pre-existing bank or cc accounts due to the foreign address?

Have you tried getting a new Bank Account or CC since then using a USA address?

7 hours ago, GypsyT said:

I had to update my DL to Experian (I had to scan and Email a copy of my DL) before banks allow opening new accounts.

Then after getting Experian to approve (took 24h) I used their info up update 2 others; Equifax and TransUnion. Now I should be OK for a while.

If those 3 don't see any activity for 2 years they put file "on hold" and delete credit score, which I've had highest for 30 years.

Now I try to open CD accounts which I could not do earlier.

However, makes me rethink putting money to European banks....

If putting money IN is this difficult in the States how difficult it's to withdraw?

Scares the hell out of me. Specially when I may be on the other side of the world...

"I had to update my DL to Experian (I had to scan and Email a copy of my DL) before banks allow opening new accounts."

How did you find out you needed to do that?

Perhaps you were rejected for an application, then you checked with bank or Experian as to what the issue was?

30 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Once one does that the 3 major Credit Agencies must record it, and I would think if one applies for a bank account or CC  after that using a USA residential address it could likely be denied.

If you did this, have you looked at your credit report from 1 of the 3 agencies since - Wondering how your address is dealt with on it.

Have you gotten any flack - perhaps at the time when a cc is expiring  and the company.is about to send an updated card - from one of your pre-existing bank or cc accounts due to the foreign address?

Have you tried getting a new Bank Account or CC since then using a USA address?

This is academic.

You can't open new US accounts in general without a valid state ID.

If you have a valid state ID you can use it to open an SDFU account as well. But it's one option for people that need a US account but don't have a valid state ID.

Several years ago I opened an SDFCU account with just my passport and proof of residential address abroad. I used a promo code to get free ACC membership, so it cost nothing — good backup in case my primary bank account gets closed for being abroad. They sent the debit card by FedEx to my address abroad for free. Basic checking $0 balance requirement allows you to add TOD beneficiaries. No complaints so far. 

• 1 month later...

My USA DL expired a few days ago.

So far - Received email from PayPal today:

"Your payment method has expired.

Update your financial information to keep your payment options open, so you can continue to quickly and easily check out with PayPal.

Update Payment Method"

9 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

My USA DL expired a few days ago.

So far - Received email from PayPal today:

"Your payment method has expired.

Update your financial information to keep your payment options open, so you can continue to quickly and easily check out with PayPal.

Update Payment Method"

Usually in PayPal, there's no DL info associated with any of the payment method profiles a person keeps in their PayPay wallet -- just the usual stuff about card or account number, card expiration date, CVV code, etc.