Nord VPN - Has become expensive ?

Pumpuynarak

I've recently received my Nord VPN renewal billing and i believe its increased by a substantial amount. I've gone from my 2 year plan to a 1 year plan not by my choice but by them no longer offering me a 1 year plan. My plan is the standard Nord VPN. Now from memory 2 years ago i paid something like the same cost that they are now proposing i pay for their 1 year plan.

Here's the email they sent me.....

Your NordVPN subscription will be renewed

You will be billed by an automatic payment in 30 days unless you cancel before the payment is charged. Otherwise, no action is required.

Note: you will be billed the current standard price of £83.88 plus £5.87 additional tax* (£89.75 in total) for the 1-year plan of NordVPN.

Your current subscription expires on April 29th, 2023.

* Sales tax, VAT, GST/PST, or other mandatory tax applicable in your country of purchase

Anyone else have a similar experience ?

Here's the reply i received from them when i queried it.......

NordVPN (NordVPN)

Apr 8, 2023, 03:47 GMT+3

Hello, 

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Over the past few years, NordVPN grew a lot: we implemented the super-fast NordLynx tunneling solution, upgraded to diskless servers, and introduced 10Gbps servers as well as server colocation (more info in our blog: https://nordvpn.com/blog/nordvpn-colocated-servers/).

Our costs grew with these upgrades, and that led to the price change. We hope to continue innovating and bringing a great experience to our users at a fair price.

That being said, after the end of your initial plan, your subscription will be automatically renewed, and you will be charged the then-current price of the service. If any changes will be implemented to your current plan, we will inform you via email in advance. For more information, read our Terms of Services.

You can also see the renewal pricing on our other products, including NordVPN here: https://my.nordaccount.com/legal/pricing/

If the renewal pricing does not meet your liking, you are able to manually choose the subscription plan according to your preference by purchasing a subscription from our official website at nordvpn.com/pricing/

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best Regards,

15 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Same as shopping for insurance. New customers get the best deals.

Just checked what they offer for new customers (Chrome incognito window).

2 year plan plus 3 months for 161 USD.

Comes out at 5.99 USD/month (plus tax if applicable). about 4.8 GBP/month.

Check what they offer for new sub in GBP (Pound).

If cheaper let subscription expire and use another account/email to order the 2 year plan.

But indeed it has become more expensive.

My current 2yr plan is about 3 Euro/month.

Just thinking whether involving a proxy (friend at home country or elsewhere) could get best price.

It's just buying some login data for money.

If the Dollar price is best you could use a credit card to order and pay in Dollar?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Could you let it expire and then sign up for the better price .

I don’t think they would refuse the new sign up .

As described that works (maybe use another email).

23 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just thinking whether involving a proxy (friend at home country or elsewhere) could get best price.

That's marvelous, using a proxy to get the best price for a VPN subscription. ????

• Haha 2

I don't know if this is common practice in the industry, but my VPN provider (not Nord) offered me 2 months for free when I tried to cancel.

They also then followed up and asked me how much I'd be willing to pay for a year of use. I gave a figure of around 1500bt, and the next day I got an email saying that they were able to offer me a year of service for about 1200bt.

I don't know if they did that based on the fact that I hardly use the service, or they just always offer every customer a price a little lower than the customer specifies.

If they're still doing the same thing this year I'll try offering 500bt!

Anyway, it's worth a try cancelling with Nord, and see if they have a similar practice. You can always sign up again if they don't take the bait.

• Like 1

My nordvpn expires end of this month. I do not have auto renewal turned on. I receive an email every few days with an enticing low cost. So if you want offers you need to turn off auto renewal.

That said, I will not be renewing nordvpn as their services are somewhat lacking when doing torrents, specifically no port forwarding. I don't use torrents much, but older, poorly populated torrents tend to be unattainable with nordvpn turned on but work fine with it off. This is due to the lack of port forwarding. There's a list of VPN providers here that show capabilities: https://torrentfreak.com/best-vpn-anonymous-no-logging/

I've begun narrowing down my list but have a few weeks so can't report my decision yet. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

I just renewed and was charged about  US$88 for 2 years + 3 'free' months.....

Looks like you got a good deal.

I (stupidly) had auto-renew turned on, and was billed US$99 for 1 year without any advance notice. Auto-renew is now turned off, and I'll let it expire next year. Rakuten routinely gives a 40% rebate on new NordVPN subscriptions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NextG said:

Switch off auto-renewal. Buy a new package. 

85A81546-032E-4E2D-AB94-893D23474BEA.thumb.png.47333cae77393c71aed65fe2c2a6d508.pngC97FAD10-CC3D-4E26-8BF4-55C5961D736E.thumb.png.a965dd01848186af2ba4950bc8c8a558.png7CFAA6D0-5DC2-47B9-9C4B-8ADBD0427E7E.thumb.png.781cadaa11633070e6c4b8379d138f7f.png

Thats exactly what i looked at doing and low and behold the first example you show the 2 year plan at $3.29 when clicked on reverts to a 1 year plan, go figure......

When i go to ''Manage Plan'' on my account where the option to turn off auto renew lies i get the following offer appearing......

star-yellow.svg

Limited offer

NordVPN 1-year plan
+ 18 months free

• Offer automatically activated when your current plan ends
  • Subscription will start on April 29, 2023
  • No payment taken today – you'll pay 14 days before your new subscription starts
    $3.30/mo$99.00 billed for 30 months

8 hours ago, still kicking said:

Why does anybody need an VPN 

The usual reason people on this forum need a VPN is to circumvent geo-location restrictions when attempting to access particular media streaming services.

Edited by JayClay

23 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

When i go to ''Manage Plan'' on my account where the option to turn off auto renew lies i get the following offer appearing......

star-yellow.svg

Limited offer

NordVPN 1-year plan
+ 18 months free

•  
  • Offer automatically activated when your current plan ends
  •  
  • Subscription will start on April 29, 2023
  •  
  • No payment taken today – you'll pay 14 days before your new subscription starts
    $3.30/mo$99.00 billed for 30 months

I've just realised how can it be a 1 year plan with 18 months free if they are charging you $3.30/month and billing you for the entire 30 months at commencement = $99.00

or have i missed something ?

On 4/10/2023 at 8:47 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Thats exactly what i looked at doing and low and behold the first example you show the 2 year plan at $3.29 when clicked on reverts to a 1 year plan, go figure......

That’s because you didn’t sign out of your current account beforehand ???? 

Either way, they seem to have offered you a more realistic price of 2.5 years for US$99. 
They’ll either take US$99 in one go and nothing else for 30 months or take US$3.30 per month for 30 months. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 2:56 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

I've just realised how can it be a 1 year plan with 18 months free if they are charging you $3.30/month and billing you for the entire 30 months at commencement = $99.00

or have i missed something ?

It's just marketing speak isn't it? You must have seen the same bowlspit all over the internet?

$99 dollars is "the price" for a full year. Pay $99 and then get an extra 18 months "free".

• Thumbs Up 1