400,000 ....proof Of Transfer For Extension

Thanks for all your posts, they really help everyone.

Here is my situation. I am on my 4th marriage extension. I moved a few million baht into Thailand 3 years ago and bought gold. The money for the gold purchase was transfered into my Bangkok Bank account via a swift transfer and is noted in my passbook. I would like to sell the gold and put the proceeds in my Bangkok Bank account when my extension is due for the 400k requirement. Do you foresee any problems with this method? I use a combination of gold sales and swift transfers from abroad for living expenses.

Two years ago I was questioned where the money for my extension came from and I showed them the swift transfer and the officer in question was OK with it all. With all the changes as of last year, I just want to be prepared for anything that might happen as I do not want to compromise my current status.

thanks

As you are grandfathered or you would not have this 400k option I would not risk losing it for anything that you can avoid. I would recommend a fresh transfer of funds from outside Thailand so that officers can see it in your passbook.

You might well be able to provide previous proof of transfer and have it accepted - but I suspect many officers will operate on the principle of reducing the number using grandfather rules and if you can make a transfer believe it would be the safer thing to do.

As you are grandfathered or you would not have this 400k option I would not risk losing it for anything that you can avoid. I would recommend a fresh transfer of funds from outside Thailand so that officers can see it in your passbook.

You might well be able to provide previous proof of transfer and have it accepted - but I suspect many officers will operate on the principle of reducing the number using grandfather rules and if you can make a transfer believe it would be the safer thing to do.

Thanks, that was what I was thinking too. No reason to chance it.

The 400K option does not have to be "grandfathered". If you are going to Thailand now on a Non Immigrant O Visa based on marraige to a Thai the funds requirement is only 400,000K or the equivalent evidence in the form of monthly income. It must in theory come from income overseas and must be "new money" ie evidence that it has been transfered from overseas.

I hope I am not wrong on this one.

You are wrong. There is no option for new applicants to use 400k in a bank account to extend there stay from Immigration. The new requirement is 40k per month family income.

I will accept being corrected! Thanks! In reality this is better because at least for americans its much easier to get the proof of income (40Kevidence) rather than have to scrape together 400,000. I guess only US citizens will laugh at that and see the hidden message.

As I will not be getting extensions for another 15 years there is a fair chance everything will be different by then I will continue to use Multiple Non Imm O VISAS and never stay more than 90 days on anyone visit.

On a serious note thanks for correcting me as I thought you needed the 400K AND THE 40K monthly income evidence. :o There are :D many people where I live here think the same. I will pass the message on.

Edited by maprao