Information about air travel to west coast canada from krung tep and back again

notrub

13 04 2023

A little help please about current post pandemic air travel options.  I live here in Isaan and will be going to see my son in western Canada.  I see the cost for a return ticket from BKK to Vancouver is around 1500 euros for a very long flight.  Ay ideas on how to improve on that please?  Already looked on sky scanner, booking etc..  A long time ago around the world tickets were a good option choosing either north or southern hemispheres.  I looked but the one I saw limits flights to N&S america, asia or europe so that does not work.  Also, any ideas about which reputable and reasonably priced airlines have the least horrible seating, food etc. in economy class please?  I was an experienced traveler (air and other) during years gone by but the pandemic has been the final straw destroying travel for pleasure.  A short trip to France and back shortly after in was allowed here, was an experience not wanted to be repeated.  Thanks in advance for any comments.  ????

I have made that trip a number of times, trying different airlines over the years. My choice now is EVA Air. Fly to Taipei then to Vancouver. As for price, you might find a deal but generally it costs more to fly now. EVA Air has great service, especially if there is a problem. The seats are comfortable enough, depending how big you are. ???? I think the flight to Vancouver is about 10 hours, not bad.

Thank you.  Well that is not so great at first glance as the flights to Taiwan are 200+ and onto Vancouver from there 1500 - 5000 euros.  Most of the flights are 20 hours+.  Thanks anyway.  It really illustrates just how big a change for the worse there has been  for air travel post pandemic.  I had been thinking of flying west from bkk but now will check on eastbound flights too.  Thanks again.

31 minutes ago, notrub said:

Most of the flights are 20 hours+.

I played around with the Google flights site.

And cheap flights are also 23h or so with 2 stops.

Cheapest I find in May/June is ANA+United via Tokyo and San Francisco (~44k Baht).

Fastest flights are 16h  with 1 stop but really expensive (~70k).

31 minutes ago, notrub said:

I had been thinking of flying west from bkk but now will check on eastbound flights too.

That puzzles me a bit. West is via Europe or Arabia and much longer. 25 hour is the lower end.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I just wanted to add, if you are flying as a couple (at least on United/ANA) they will separate you and you need to pay more to sit together. The last flight I was on, we had confirmed seats next to each other but when we got our boarding pass they separated us. I noticed that my original sit was empty, and the flight attendant allowed me to move there if no one came assigned to that seat.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I got a deal on China Airlines. I usually fly EVA but the price for Premium economy was double pre-covid. Scair Canada has direct flights to Vancouver about 15 hours. Try Melatonin with or without a sleeping pill.

20 hours ago, notrub said:

Thank you.  Well that is not so great at first glance as the flights to Taiwan are 200+ and onto Vancouver from there 1500 - 5000 euros.  Most of the flights are 20 hours+.  Thanks anyway.  It really illustrates just how big a change for the worse there has been  for air travel post pandemic.  I had been thinking of flying west from bkk but now will check on eastbound flights too.  Thanks again.

I meant the flight from Taipei to Vancouver was about 10 hours. Canada is on the other side of the planet, so yeah, it's a long trip.

???? Buckle up and brace yourself for an unforgettable journey! ???? 

Trust EVA Air to deliver top-notch service and make your travel dreams a reality. Don't settle for less - book your flight with us today! ✈️

????: @gura._.aviation

#EVAAIR #FlyWithConfidence #iflyevaair #travelwithevaair #evaairways  #EVAAIR #QualityService #BookNow

Eva, Air China now fly regularly out of Chiang Mai.  Might consider Chiang Mai as the place to depart from Thailand.  Also, Korean flies out of Chiang Mai as well.  ‘

I fly to Los Angeles twice a year from Thailand(have done it from Chiang Mai and BKK).  Eva had the shortest transit time in TPE(only 3 hours).  Eva Air was the most expensive from CNX.  Eva Air cabin service was excellent.  I just booked my next trip to LAX from CNX on Korean($950 round trip).  I believe all these carriers fly to YVR(Vancouver).  Also, check on Kayak as well.