MRT Free for Wrinklies this Songkran

rak sa_ngop

I haven't seen this news anywhere else, but yesterday I used the MRT and when I tried to pay at the ticket office to get my 50pc discounted ticket for being elderly, I was told it was free, and will be free for the Songkran holiday period. The lady said (in Thai) it was free for either 3 days or maybe the next three days. I think it is just for the over 60's. I have never been asked to prove my age  (I am 69). I just specify my destination and say ' khon chara' or 'phu chara' and Bob's your Uncle.

Sorry for posting a bit late but there is still tomorrow.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Why don't you have an "elder" MRT+ stored-value card?

No need to ask for the discount, it just happens.

Does it automatically give you a free ride or do you have to ask at the ticket counter?

I am an infrequent user of the MRT. I am still waiting for the integrated BTS and MRT card to be introduced. 5555

• Like 1

Just now, rak sa_ngop said:

Does it automatically give you a free ride or do you have to ask at the ticket counter?

I am an infrequent user of the MRT. I am still waiting for the integrated BTS and MRT card to be introduced. 5555

It should automagically do the free ride, assuming the operations chaps have done their job and set it up.

For an integrated card, yeah, dream on I'm afraid ???? Been trying to get this going for nigh on 20 years (and others were there first), politics trumps the technology ????

Probably, the closest you will get in the foreseeable future is to be able to use your contactless EMV (credit or debit) card to travel (MRT and Red Line already do it), but that won't do elderly stuff, just base adult fare, great for tourists of course.

• Like 1

I was intrigued to read the above posts but when I checked BTS website it says

Eligibility for use of Senior Rabbit cards

Senior Rabbit card Senior Rabbit card may only be used by Thai Senior Citizens aged 60 years and over, according to date of birth as shown on Citizen ID, which must be presented upon request be BTS Staff.