Sunrise Tacos Is Expanding

Had the steak filled tacos at the emporium a couple of days ago with cheese. Steak was so chewy i had jaw ache after finishing the first taco (Not joking!) so left the other 2.....

Perhaps some better quality steak is required and perhaps a touch of tenderising before hand and less cooking of it.

Will give it another go in a couple of weeks see if its better.

Sorry to hear that. Our steak have always gotten good reviews. It is marinated overnight in a chipotle salsa and then grilled. Could of been a one off but will look into it. Thanks for the feedback.

www.sunrisetacos.com

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why we let the customer build their taco or burrito. Some like just meat on a tortilla. Others want everything except the kitchen sink. That's why I get a kick out of it when someone says " Why does Sunrise Tacos put cheese on a taco?" It's the customer choice... some love it that way, others don't. We leave it up to the people...http://www.sunrisetacos.com

In my mind, that's the best thing about Sunrise - letting the customer decide what they want on each taco/burrito. I'm not partial to bean burritos, so I'm grateful for the 'fajita' option. Of course this works best when the orders are put together correctly, which could maybe still use some improvement. I visited Soi 12 again with my girlfriend a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it was you who personally took my order and filled out the form, which was slightly complicated with a burrito plus 3 tacos with different ingredients. I confirmed that the form was filled out correctly but again our order was slightly mixed up, with some of the requested burrito ingredients appearing in the tacos that did not request those same ingredients - not really a big deal, we just removed the unwanted items. We also tried your margaritas for the first time which we both agreed were excellent. Then it came time to pay the bill and again there seemed to be some confusion entering our order into the till, and we were overcharged by about 200 baht. I'm sure it was an honest mistake and the clearly labeled receipt made it easy to see what the extra charges were (the original worker had entered a more expensive meat than we had ordered and hit the button an extra time for a double charge). I showed the receipt to another girl behind the till to confirm and she was very appologetic, corrected the mistake and refunded us the difference. In the end we had a satisfying meal and will continue to return in the future.

Edited by BCMike

That's why we let the customer build their taco or burrito. Some like just meat on a tortilla. Others want everything except the kitchen sink. That's why I get a kick out of it when someone says " Why does Sunrise Tacos put cheese on a taco?" It's the customer choice... some love it that way, others don't. We leave it up to the people...http://www.sunrisetacos.com

In my mind, that's the best thing about Sunrise - letting the customer decide what they want on each taco/burrito. I'm not partial to bean burritos, so I'm grateful for the 'fajita' option. Of course this works best when the orders are put together correctly, which could maybe still use some improvement. I visited Soi 12 again with my girlfriend a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it was you who personally took my order and filled out the form, which was slightly complicated with a burrito plus 3 tacos with different ingredients. I confirmed that the form was filled out correctly but again our order was slightly mixed up, with some of the requested burrito ingredients appearing in the tacos that did not request those same ingredients - not really a big deal, we just removed the unwanted items. We also tried your margaritas for the first time which we both agreed were excellent. Then it came time to pay the bill and again there seemed to be some confusion entering our order into the till, and we were overcharged by about 200 baht. I'm sure it was an honest mistake and the clearly labeled receipt made it easy to see what the extra charges were (the original worker had entered a more expensive meat than we had ordered and hit the button an extra time for a double charge). I showed the receipt to another girl behind the till to confirm and she was very appologetic, corrected the mistake and refunded us the difference. In the end we had a satisfying meal and will continue to return in the future.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm spending alot of time at the Store trying to improve areas of service. We will get better.

I have new forms that we are using now and everyone seems to like them. Still the staff have to follow them. In most cases they do but we are working on it, so they have zero mistakes.

Thanks again.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Thanks for the feedback. I'm spending alot of time at the Store trying to improve areas of service. We will get better.

I have new forms that we are using now and everyone seems to like them. Still the staff have to follow them. In most cases they do but we are working on it, so they have zero mistakes.

Thanks again.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Ermmm although a noble goal to have 0% mistakes, such a thing is impossible in any bussiness. I have worked long enough in the bar and restaurant bussiness during my studies when I still lived in the Netherlands that as long as the ######ups stay below 1% you are doing allright.

When I did some work for the importer of Volkswagens in the Netherlands I had a long talk with one of their customer service guys. He had just finished talking with a client with a car with many mistakes. He acknowledged to me that approximately 1 in every 10.000 new cars in the automobile industry was a total writeoff. But still dealing with the unlucky owner of such a car was very stressfull even though they usually replaced the car ASAP.

Waerth

i ordered a burrito and the thing must have weighed two pounds by the time it was finished. this wasnt even a jumbo size. i ordered everything. i dont know if this is standard or if the person who prepared it was too generous. i could only finish half of it.

Ha ha, count yourself lucky!

Actually, I think portions have become more generous recently, which I definitely see as a good thing. The first giant burrito I ordered a few days after Sunrise opened filled a hole and was satisfying, but more like a large snack than a full meal. The one I got on Sunday was like a decent sized, big meal, and so now I know that for 200 Baht I'll be leaving the place feeling stuffed, which is good to know.

• 2 weeks later...
i ordered a burrito and the thing must have weighed two pounds by the time it was finished. this wasnt even a jumbo size. i ordered everything. i dont know if this is standard or if the person who prepared it was too generous. i could only finish half of it.

Thanks for stopping by Sunrise Tacos. We do need to use a 13 inch tortilla for the giant to get all the gourmet fillings in. When they finish making it, it looks like a small pillow.

A giant burrito from day one has always been at least 500 grams. ( depends how much toppings the customer wants but we guarantee it will always weigh at least 500 grams or 18 ounces) In most cases its closer to 600 grams to 700 grams( 21-24 ounces).

The standard burrito should be 250 grams but in most cases, when we put the burrito on the scale, its 300-350 grams because of the additional toppings.

With the standard three tacos, in most cases they are around 300-325 grams.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Actually, I think portions have become more generous recently, which I definitely see as a good thing. The first giant burrito I ordered a few days after Sunrise opened filled a hole and was satisfying, but more like a large snack than a full meal. The one I got on Sunday was like a decent sized, big meal, and so now I know that for 200 Baht I'll be leaving the place feeling stuffed, which is good to know.

Thanks for visiting Sunrise Tacos and glad we are filling you up.

www.sunrisetacos.com

I am happy that when taking away tacos, you have now included a little cup that contains the taco sauce instead of putting it on the tacos from the start. previously, they ended up soggy, but now it is perfect!

Thanks for letting me know. Seems rather simple now but only found out after getting delivery to my house and finding out " Houston we have a malfunction"

We are doing between 20-30 deliveries everyday now. Still some areas are too far so I approached Food by Phone. Got the quote back this week. On a burrito or three tacos costing 117 baht. They want to charge the customer 145 Baht and give us 82 Baht. On top of that they have a 60- 80 baht + delivery fee. They get more for the delivery than what we charge for the three taco or burrito.I want to be in that business!

Obviously we have lots of negotiation to be done before we ever sign up to use them.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Do you do deliveries to near Khao Sarn Road area? If not then when you getting the KSR branch up and running! :o

We are now getting more messengers working. If its not busy they will do it. 02-229-4851

Need to find a space. The one I had planned on is no longer available.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Actually, I've eaten at the Emporium branch a few times.

The steak is decent, though sometimes chewy. The seasoned ground beef was also pretty decent. But didn't care for the barbacoa beef or the pork ones.

Portions are plenty big - that's good. However, I don't like the rice (not my kind of taste) nor the beans (just don't care for beans).

Instead, what I want in my burrito is meat, meat, meat... some fresh lettuce and diced tomatoes, bit of salsa, lots of sour cream and cheese. Thought it was strange that you could only have one or the other without having to pay extra.

Guacamole? I love guacamole - but I wasn't about to spend 80 baht to find out how much I would get... would've slathered that into my burrito as well, or just been happy with chips.

Bad points: less now that they've had time to adjust - but the most galling of all came the other day when I went into the Food Hall at 9:10 pm - 20 minutes before closing - and the entire kitchen was clean and the food trays packed away - needless to say if the Food Hall is open until 9:30, then I expect you to be open until 9:30.

While I'm here - I think Greg also owns The Burger (which replaced Isshin) - and if this is the case, please, PLEASE, don't marinate your burgers, the Double Stack qualifies as one of the worst burgers I have ever eaten in Thailand. What's wrong with American style - fresh ground beef, no additives? And what's with the oval shaped burgers? Fries were decent, happy you use Heinz ketchup - but the best part was - get this - the bun! That, you got exactly right...

While I'm here - I think Greg also owns The Burger (which replaced Isshin) - and if this is the case, please, PLEASE, don't marinate your burgers, the Double Stack qualifies as one of the worst burgers I have ever eaten in Thailand. What's wrong with American style - fresh ground beef, no additives? And what's with the oval shaped burgers? Fries were decent, happy you use Heinz ketchup - but the best part was - get this - the bun! That, you got exactly right...

What and where is "The Burger"? :o

I'd like to see a new branch in Khao San, Silom, or in the MBK/Paragon area. With even one location in those places I'd eat at Sunrise a lot more often as I'm rarely willing to travel to Suhkumvit just to buy some tacos. :o

Edited by DP25

All this talk about burgers and Mexican made me hungry... LOL... so off to Sunrise I went.

Carne Asada (Steak) burrito, sour cream, cheese, tomato (mild salsa), chopped onions - unfortunately they were out of lettuce (strange, not something one runs out of easily). Told them to hold the beans and the rice, and decided to splurge on the guacamole.

The guacamole was decent, but probably not something I will pay 89 baht for very often. Having said that though, when the burrito came, and I stuck the salsa and guacamole in, it was nothing short of huge - and I ordered the normal size.

The carne asada was also a bit on the chewy side but not bad at all. And this time they heated the burrito, where in the past they hadn't. Much preferred it heated.

Anyhow, that was one hel_l of a burrito - excellent value for money if you don't count the guacamole.

unfortunately they were out of lettuce (strange, not something one runs out of easily)

Interesting – the original Sunrise location is a fairly regular stop for me. Late last night/ early this morning I stopped in for some tacos; order placed, and they begin working on them next thing I know they tell me they are out of CHEESE – out of cheese at a Mexican joint? Wanted to know if I would accept sour cream as a substitute – I don’t know about ya’ll but a taco ain’t a taco without cheese, no thanks.

You would have thought that would have asked me about a substitution before they started work on making my tacos? I’ll give them credit for not asking me to still pay for the half finished tacos.

I have eaten at Sunrise dozens of times and this is the first time I have ever had any real issues. Hope they have cheese the next time.

On the upside I am not sure if they are using some kind of mechanical press or if they are buying pre-made hard shells but I like the hard shell tacos now much more than the hand made ones they had when they first opened - very crisp.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, I've eaten at the Emporium branch a few times.

The steak is decent, though sometimes chewy. The seasoned ground beef was also pretty decent. But didn't care for the barbacoa beef or the pork ones.

Portions are plenty big - that's good. However, I don't like the rice (not my kind of taste) nor the beans (just don't care for beans).

Instead, what I want in my burrito is meat, meat, meat... some fresh lettuce and diced tomatoes, bit of salsa, lots of sour cream and cheese. Thought it was strange that you could only have one or the other without having to pay extra.

Guacamole? I love guacamole - but I wasn't about to spend 80 baht to find out how much I would get... would've slathered that into my burrito as well, or just been happy with chips.

Bad points: less now that they've had time to adjust - but the most galling of all came the other day when I went into the Food Hall at 9:10 pm - 20 minutes before closing - and the entire kitchen was clean and the food trays packed away - needless to say if the Food Hall is open until 9:30, then I expect you to be open until 9:30.

No I don't own the Burger.

Thanks for telling me they had packed up by 9:10 p.m. This upsets me as they are on the time clock till 11 p.m.!

Guacamole: We sell use more avocados than all other restaurants according to our supplier. Its good stuff with no shortcuts. Even though avocados are expensive as we import from Australia, we increased the portion around three months ago and everyone is happy. Try it next time or come to the Suk 12 location, its cheaper there. :-)

Cheese or Sour Cream option: we give the option same as Chipotles in the USA By the way, cheese and sour cream cost more in Thailand than in the USA and about to go up 50% next week from the supplier. Other vendors have already increased the already high wholesale price this week.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

It's another "restaurant" in the Emporium Food Hall, diagonally across from Sunrise Tacos, and between Nippon Kai and Whittard of Chelsea.

It appears to me that this is a spinoff of what was O'Brian's near Nana.

Oh now I know. One of my wives friends is doing this. Will let him know.

www.sunrisetacos.com

I'd like to see a new branch in Khao San, Silom, or in the MBK/Paragon area. With even one location in those places I'd eat at Sunrise a lot more often as I'm rarely willing to travel to Suhkumvit just to buy some tacos. :o

Will be at Siam Paragon Oct 5-8th for the American event. Still suppose to open there on the ground floor when they switch from "foodloft" concept with a separate restaurant.

As for other expansion. Khao San Rd is next in line.

Good news if you are coming to Suk 12 you'll see construction going on across the parking lot. Thats me as I'm expanding the orginal Sunrise Tacos. It will be a separate sit down restaurant with 100 sq.m.

I'll keep both locations. one for express take out and the other for those that want to sit and relax.

www.sunrisetacos.com

All this talk about burgers and Mexican made me hungry... LOL... so off to Sunrise I went.

Carne Asada (Steak) burrito, sour cream, cheese, tomato (mild salsa), chopped onions - unfortunately they were out of lettuce (strange, not something one runs out of easily). Told them to hold the beans and the rice, and decided to splurge on the guacamole.

The guacamole was decent, but probably not something I will pay 89 baht for very often. Having said that though, when the burrito came, and I stuck the salsa and guacamole in, it was nothing short of huge - and I ordered the normal size.

The carne asada was also a bit on the chewy side but not bad at all. And this time they heated the burrito, where in the past they hadn't. Much preferred it heated.

Anyhow, that was one hel_l of a burrito - excellent value for money if you don't count the guacamole.

Glad you liked it. Big problem with the lettuce crop up north and I'm the one that has been begging and stealing lettuce.

The price three weeks ago was 36 Baht a kilo. Price last week was 120 baht if you could even get it, everyone at the Market was sold out. I had to borrow 25 kilos a couple times from another restaurant who had a contract with a supplier. Think I've done a good job as we were only out of lettuce a 1/2 day thru this crisis. Lettuce today was 70 Baht while most places at the Fresh Market were 100 baht a kilo as they are shipping it in from China. I'll pay any price to have it but one day last week, there was one to be found anywhere even at 120 baht a kilo.

www.sunrisetacos.com

unfortunately they were out of lettuce (strange, not something one runs out of easily)

Interesting – the original Sunrise location is a fairly regular stop for me. Late last night/ early this morning I stopped in for some tacos; order placed, and they begin working on them next thing I know they tell me they are out of CHEESE – out of cheese at a Mexican joint? Wanted to know if I would accept sour cream as a substitute – I don’t know about ya’ll but a taco ain’t a taco without cheese, no thanks.

You would have thought that would have asked me about a substitution before they started work on making my tacos? I’ll give them credit for not asking me to still pay for the half finished tacos.

I have eaten at Sunrise dozens of times and this is the first time I have ever had any real issues. Hope they have cheese the next time.

Just bad luck though when you came, first time we've ever been out of cheese. I was out of cheese that day for around 12 hours from midnight to noon.

Another squeeze in Thailand is cheese. Over 50% price increase coming and the factories are holding back shipments. Milk subsidies were lifted in Thailand and milk, cheese, sour cream is going over the roof. I ordered 1,000 kilos last week to beat the price increase and didn't get one kilo on the delivery date! Have bought every kilo block at Foodland they had at a 25% higher price. Today I got 150 kilos in from my supplier so I'm good for a week. Still looking for over 2,000 pounds of cheese if i can get it at the current price.

On the upside I am not sure if they are using some kind of mechanical press or if they are buying pre-made hard shells but I like the hard shell tacos now much more than the hand made ones they had when they first opened - very crisp.

The press " tortilla maker" is at the begining of the line. If you order soft corn tortilla, you'll smell them as we make the tortilla fresh using 100% corn maza. We now double wrap the soft corn.

What also is great and we have been doing it from time to time. Wrapping the soft corn tortilla around the crispy taco with refried beans or gucamole spread on the feshly made soft corn tortilla. If you see me, ask about it as I'm still training the staff on making it. We've been doing it on a trial basis and the comments have been great.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Just bad luck though when you came, first time we've ever been out of cheese. I was out of cheese that day for around 12 hours from midnight to noon.

Another squeeze in Thailand is cheese. Over 50% price increase coming and the factories are holding back shipments. Milk subsidies were lifted in Thailand and milk, cheese, sour cream is going over the roof. I ordered 1,000 kilos last week to beat the price increase and didn't get one kilo on the delivery date! Have bought every kilo block at Foodland they had at a 25% higher price. Today I got 150 kilos in from my supplier so I'm good for a week. Still looking for over 2,000 pounds of cheese if i can get it at the current price.

The press " tortilla maker" is at the begining of the line. If you order soft corn tortilla, you'll smell them as we make the tortilla fresh using 100% corn maza. We now double wrap the soft corn.

What also is great and we have been doing it from time to time. Wrapping the soft corn tortilla around the crispy taco with refried beans or gucamole spread on the feshly made soft corn tortilla. If you see me, ask about it as I'm still training the staff on making it. We've been doing it on a trial basis and the comments have been great.

www.sunrisetacos.com

LOL. Thanks for all the clarifications, Greg.

Now if I could only get a bit more guacamole... I will go back to eating carne asada burritos with guac after I finish my burger reviews :D Taco salad also on my to-do list as this was practically all I ate when I was at uni.

Oh now I know. One of my wives friends is doing this. Will let him know.

Oh. By the way, "I know Greg" :o

Edited by onethailand

Now if I could only get a bit more guacamole... I will go back to eating carne asada burritos with guac after I finish my burger reviews :D Taco salad also on my to-do list as this was practically all I ate when I was at uni.

I'm working on a expanded menu at the new location. what else would you like ?

Oh. By the way, "I know Greg" :o

Please don't be starting any fires. :D

I was very happy to see the sign announcing the expansion near soi 12, good to hear you’ll be keeping both storefronts in that area.

The ever expanding menu is also good, the nacho supreme is pretty good, and the double decker tacos (crispy taco wrapped with a soft tortilla and refried beans) is good news as well – looking forward to it making the standard menu.