Cancelling a Non-B Visa associated with a teaching job

7 minutes ago, PleaseTypeSlow4me said:

not helping, trying to destroy my credibility so I get less help from others.  This is not a windup.

Keep it going ... Windup 101 ????

I think you've had more than your fair share of very knowledgeable information posted here for you. If that's not good enough then you just need to sort it yourself.

I think the mods might just close the thread. In a few posts above you're confused about another posters comments..I think the thread has more than run its course

Your posts = ZERO of course this is a windup lol

Edited by Menken

This is pretty funny. The op responds negatively to his own post 555

The op was hanging on this thread with every post and as soon as I called out the wind up he's gone...

Screenshot_2023-04-16-11-40-59-93_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

Edited by Menken

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

This is so not true, if you have an extension based on working and you do not cancel it at Immigration in Thailand you will have major problems down the line if you try to get another extension based on employment.

When did this becomes a thing ?

This is what happened to me many years ago and also happened to my friends in few years ago. Just writing this to tell what happened. I dont know if its still like this or not. But it was when happened to my friend.. i think 3 or 4 a year before covid started.

So he had a non-b work extension. He wanted to leave the country without cancelling it. He went to land border (not airport / not fly) at the border IO told him he cannot leave the country without a re-entry OR work termination letter from the work place. There are many reasonable reasons why they dont let you go. I will not write them and make this post longer. 

Now if you fly its another story. I read from this forum that if you fly no one asks questions. 

I would definitely go to the labor office and cancel my work permit by myself in your case. Because if its not cancelled properly it will create problems in your future job.

Another option what my other friend did is, if you can arrange all paper work and documents from your new school you dont need to leave the country. You can do all in 1 day. Of course you will need termination letter from your old school. What important on that letter is the date of your last work day. Its also your last day in thailand.  

Things you need to consider: in your next extension labor office will ask your tax from the last time. LO or IO may want to see old school termination letter at some point because you left without cancelling your visa from IO but leaving the country (not same things) 

If i were you i would contact with the new school asap and ask them to prepare all documents before your days out. so you can do all in 1 day without leaving the country.

if i wrote something wrong im sure other people will correct me. 

Edited by problemfarang

30 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

Well im in thailand for 17 years and happened to me 10 years ago

trust me if you not cancel properly, it will haunt you

Interesting.

I was made redundant late 2017 (work permit and extension good till mid 2018) which was perfect as I was going to quit anyway as I was needed at home (family matters), collecting that 10 month redundancy payout was a welcome bonus !!

HR cancelled my work permit but not my extension as I needed stay for a few weeks.

I flew home December 2017, left the country with "valid extension and multi re-entry" in my passport, was duly stamped out without issue.

With family matters sorted I reached out to some Thai companies looking for work and was offered one to start after Songkran 2019 so I came back to Thailand on a B-Visa, no issues at all converting to a new extension.

Not saying your lying because each individual will have a different experience with Thai bureaucracy or maybe things have changed in the past 10 years.

Edited by Ralf001

6 hours ago, PleaseTypeSlow4me said:

Can I leave Thailand and get a new Non-B sometime next week without doing the steps mentioned above? 

No. Because your old employer must inform them that you are no longer working with them. Immigration will need that letter with a date on it to type into their computer when your work permission ended. 

I recommend that you ask your current employer to end your employment in 3 weeks time in the future (the maximum length of time in advance you may apply for a new work permit and visa with a new employer). 

Your new employers then have three weeks to get the paperwork together to make the application. Press them to put the paperwork together. 

My memory is, counter-intuitively, you need the visa before the work permit issued. This necessarily means there is a period when you are working without a work permit.

It follows you should apply for a re-entry permit with the current visa. Do not use leaving and entering the country as a way to deal with this issue.

(I would be interested in feedback on my suggestion)

Edited by Gaccha

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Interesting.

I was made redundant late 2017 (work permit and extension good till mid 2018) which was perfect as I was going to quit anyway as I was needed at home (family matters), collecting that 10 month redundancy payout was a welcome bonus !!

HR cancelled my work permit but not my extension as I needed stay for a few weeks.

I flew home December 2017, left the country with "valid extension and multi re-entry" in my passport, was duly stamped out without issue.

With family matters sorted I reached out to some Thai companies looking for work and was offered one to start after Songkran 2019 so I came back to Thailand on a B-Visa, no issues at all converting to a new extension.

Not saying your lying because each individual will have a different experience with Thai bureaucracy or maybe things have changed in the past 10 years.

Maybe because you left with 'multi entry' ?

Well like i said i wrote what happened to me and my friends. 

3 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

Maybe because you left with 'multi entry' ?

The multi entry would explain the no issues leaving the country but claims of obtaining a new extension at a later date for a new job will be problematic because the previous one was not cancelled with the work permit was a non issue for me.

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

If i were you i would contact with the new school asap and ask them to prepare all documents before your days out. so you can do all in 1 day without leaving the country.

This is why they want me to cancel NOW.   Hold up.........OK, let's say my school gives me a termination letter in a timely fashion (it is vacation for everyone now, all I can do is message them and then go to school tomorrow to see if anyone is around).   If they put a date of say the 28th of April I can do the paperwork in another province?  I still thought I had to go to my current immigration office, cancel my extension first, etc......but are you saying with this termination letter I can simply drop off my work permit and leave?

I gotta be honest, I plan on doing it all like before and not take any chances, but I am curious to see what my options are.  Maybe they can send me this termination letter next week (say they are on vacation) to my new school.  This is LOS, nothing will go smooth; however, it does always work out in the end.  

Could anyone elighten on the problems likely to be faced if the extension of stay is not cancelled. I left Thailand in 2018, and will be returning in the next few months. At that time, I didn't cancel the extension of stay using a termination letter and instead did a border bounce onto a visa 30-day exemption in Cambodia with the 'famous' visa run company that everyone uses. At that time the IO didn't question it and put a line through the extension of stay. I then got stamped in for another 30 days, finished moving out of my condo and left. 

I will now return and make a new non-b application in due course. 

I see a lot of people warning against this in the forum and stating that you will suffer should you return. I've even spoken to the visa run company and while they stated I wouldn't be denied a new non-b they were not very enlightening on whether or not I would suffer any consequences instead saying "you will see later". When searching the forum, I also see that various people say things ranging from "I had to pay a fine of 2000thb at the police station" to "I got an unpaid tax bill for 700k" and then a few people who claim nothing happened to them and lots of people saying "you'll have lots of problems" but not saying what problems.

I'm pretty sure my old company cancelled my work permit but I don't know at what point, as I left them on good terms. I even did the border bounce at their request. They said it was fine to do at the time. It feels like one of those things where you only suffer consequences at random or perhaps if you skipped out on your job dishonestly

Hopefully someone is able to clarify what if any problems I might face in the next few months when applying for a work permit again. 

41 minutes ago, PleaseTypeSlow4me said:

This is why they want me to cancel NOW.   Hold up.........OK, let's say my school gives me a termination letter in a timely fashion (it is vacation for everyone now, all I can do is message them and then go to school tomorrow to see if anyone is around).   If they put a date of say the 28th of April I can do the paperwork in another province?  I still thought I had to go to my current immigration office, cancel my extension first, etc......but are you saying with this termination letter I can simply drop off my work permit and leave?

I gotta be honest, I plan on doing it all like before and not take any chances, but I am curious to see what my options are.  Maybe they can send me this termination letter next week (say they are on vacation) to my new school.  This is LOS, nothing will go smooth; however, it does always work out in the end.  

You need to get your termination letter, then go to labor office with a copy of the letter and give the letter + work permit. Then go to immigration and cancel your visa showing the termination letter. I dont think you can do this at any IO. You must cancel it where you extended. 

But like i said if you arrange your new school to get ready all documents, the same day at the IO you can get a new extension or continue. So no need to leave the country. I have 2 friends did like that. They said its so easy. 

Now.. for another province. My friend was working in udon thani and started work in bangkok. Now he didnt want to leave the country. Like i tried to explain you. Same day all done thing. So at the udon thani immigration they wrote a document for bangkok immigration. Saying he has all the doucments ready and he will do all paper work in the same day. He showed this document to bangkok IO with his new documents.. IO called udon thai IO and confirmed the story. 10 min later he had his new visa and so on. So you probably need to do something like this. 

If i were you i would make it clear with your IO now. Tell them the situation like my friend did. 

If you dont want stress.. do the proper slow way: go to labor office cancel work permit, same day go to IO cancel visa get 1 week for 1900 baht. Leave the country get your new non b and welcome back

I strongly suggest dont just leave! 

Good luck

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Scenario: recieved nonB on an agency. Work permit still has to be issued. However it seems agency cant supply further employment.

A school have said that they can employ me. So how do I go about with NonB.. ? Can it be changed from the agency name for emoyment to a school? When the WP not issued yet.. no extention of stay.. jjst started 90 day period. Can the school that want to employ then apply for WP with NonB visa connected to agency?