How early can you change to a 5 year license?

ThLT

Apparently, you need to be on a Non-Immigrant visa to go from the 2y temporary license to the 5y license. You'll get another 2y temporary license if on a tourist visa. I'm on a Non-Immigrant right now, but won't be when my license expires.

Some say you can 6 months before the 2y license expires, some 3 months. I've read one person on the forum say that, if on a Non-Immigrant visa, you can change to the 5y license after 1y of having the temporary license.

Is that true? How early can you change to a 5y license? What would you recommend to get the 5y license?

Edited by ThLT

10 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Some say you can 6 months before the 2y license expires

(see below)

if on a Non-Immigrant visa, you can change to the 5y license after 1y of having the temporary license.

No

some 3 months

Yes

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Just checked a Thai website and they say since April 1, 2022 you can renew 6 months early. Don't hold me responsible (I doubt it applies for 2yr to 5yr).

With three months you are on the safe side.

Found two sources that say it's only 2 months for 2 yr to 5 yr.

??

• Those who want to renew their driving license from 2 years to 5 years can renew their license no more than 60 days or 2 months in advance. 

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

About this time last year, I was told at Bang Chak that I could request changing from 2 to 5 after 1 year if I could show that I needed an international driving permit, but that it would only be a request and they would decide whether to allow it. I didn't bother in the end, so I don't know what the chances are of them agreeing. 

14 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

About this time last year, I was told at Bang Chak that I could request changing from 2 to 5 after 1 year if I could show that I needed an international driving permit, but that it would only be a request and they would decide whether to allow it. I didn't bother in the end, so I don't know what the chances are of them agreeing. 

Oh, so maybe that would mean with the 2y temporary license you can't get an IDP, but instead you need the 5y license.

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just checked a Thai website and they say since April 1, 2022 you can renew 6 months early. Don't hold me responsible (I doubt it applies for 2yr to 5yr).

With three months you are on the safe side.

Thanks. 

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Found two sources that say it's only 2 months for 2 yr to 5 yr.

What are the two sources? Are they from after April 2022?

46 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Thanks. 

Extension of the licence[edit]

Full driving licence may be extended once its validity is less than 6 months.[17] Probationary licence holders may upgrade their licence once they have held the licence for at least one year. Previously, a full licence may be extended once its validity is 90 days or less, while a probationary licence can be exchanged for a full licence if it is valid for 60 days or less. Regardless of timeframe, the driver must pass a physical test again in order to be able to hold a further licence. If the licence has expired for less than a year, the process remains the same. If, however, the licence has expired for more than 1 but less than 3 years, the holder must attend the lecture and pass the theory test. Complete test is needed if the licence has expired for 3 years or more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Thailand

1 hour ago, ThLT said:

Just tried to find both.

The one which I cited from is undated but probably before April 21.

https://www.bolttech.co.th/blog/ต่อใบขับขี่2ปีเป็น5ปี

It definitely was 60 days/2 months.

It might have changed but given up at this point.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just tried to find both.

The one which I cited from is undated but probably before April 21.

https://www.bolttech.co.th/blog/ต่อใบขับขี่2ปีเป็น5ปี

It definitely was 60 days/2 months.

It might have changed but given up at this point.

Thanks. I'll probably go to the DLT and give an update here. If it changed to 6 month on April 2022, that would be good news.

Edited by ThLT
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ThLT said:

Oh, so maybe that would mean with the 2y temporary license you can't get an IDP, but instead you need the 5y license.

Yes, that's what I was told. As it turns out, you can use a Thai license in the UK without an IDP, so I didn't need one.