Building Sailboat In Thailand

hello room and thank u for your time-some friends and i (all of us are retired and on retirment/marrage visa)want to build a smal sail boat-22 feet in length-we plan on hiring some woodcarvers to help us-our question is-would it be ok to work on it ourself sence its not for sale-second is how we could git it regestered--would app any help we can git on this project--thank u- phil

hello room and thank u for your time-some friends and i (all of us are retired and on retirment/marrage visa)want to build a smal sail boat-22 feet in length-we plan on hiring some woodcarvers to help us-our question is-would it be ok to work on it ourself sence its not for sale-second is how we could git it regestered--would app any help we can git on this project--thank u- phil

OK, "moved" but would be nice to know to which forum it was moved to in order to follow up on the comments.

FYI, my brother in law in the PDX area also has a sail boat, not home built, a Benetau 34 I think.  He wanted a motor boat, tho, to play around on so he built one from a kit.  Interesting process, and two years work!!  http://www.backporchboat.org/

Mac

Are you making it in CM? I'd love to check out your project! Lots of grunt work (unpaid, involuntary, i.e., my father's) on wooden boat maintenance, nothing special, just scraping, caulking, painting, brightwork.

Are you making it in CM? I'd love to check out your project! Lots of grunt work (unpaid, involuntary, i.e., my father's) on wooden boat maintenance, nothing special, just scraping, caulking, painting, brightwork.

we were thinking of doing the wood portion up here-sence we planning on lots of carving-figure head-woodmast-ect-based after the old style ships when they were art not stamped out plastic-still havent found out if i can git this regestered when done-waiting to order plans untill i find out--any ideas on this-thank u phil

:o I lived on my boat in Phuket since 1995 so I can proberly help with some of your questions.

The registration is not a problem when you build it in Thailand and using Thai materials. I have a contact to a company who do the registrations.

Imported iterms have to be paid the normal 7 % wat.

Some iterms have a luxury status and will have a heiger wat. to be paid, f.eks a radar.

Dont put any radio equipment on the boat since it is under military control even a VHF radio.

I live here in Phuket for many years and are chairman for the Danish Ocean Cruising Assosiation-DOCA- for Thailand and Northern Malaysia. You are wellcome to contact me on [email protected]

I can strongly recommend that you guys consider the design carefully.

You are best to use a stitch and glue style construction here; heavy leadmines like a Benetau are almost bearable in the 30 foot + length, but at 22 feet, I presume you want to trailer it around, sail it on lakes, take it fishing, bring it to pattaya, that sort of thing.

If it is heavy, it is going to be expensive to build (materials cost money); it will need a bigger engine to motor around, all sails and sheets on it will be heavier and it will be more difficult to trailer and to tow. Ideally, you should be hitting a displacement of not more than 500kg at this length of boat. Heavy boas are also very slow. To put in perspective, there is probably no wind condition or direction that a Benetau 30 footer is even close to the speed of my own 22 foot boat. That would drive me bonkers, taking 6 hours to get somewhere, when a lighter boat could do it in like 3.

Single chine sharpie style has some advantages; easier to build being the main one. e.g. 110, 210. Bolger designs. Or the Tokyo Trash Baby, a nice sportboat a little smaller but similar to what you have in mind.

Do a search on the words tokyo trash baby, is a nice boat that sails quite well; will also have no problem keeping up with 4KSBs like benetaus. The TTB can easily be simplified with a cockpit only and no cabin.

A guy called Bolger has some beautiful sharpies that sail well (although all chined boats tend to be sailed heeled) and the 110/210 are a classic design that are proven fast and effective.

If you flick a lead bulb onto it, then it will improve safety, upwind speed and will also require a little more skill in building the fin and bulb. I might be able to help you with those, as they can be time intensive to finish off.

For sails, Rolly Tasker and Ket of Local Sails can produce no problem. Mast could be problematic; if you go low powered, then pilfer off an old hobie 16 or similar, and redo the main. Decent cloth though, no point in having a dog.

Stick a prod on it, and then you can run a kite. Masthead of course ;-)

Plus without a mast, will motor fine for fishing trips and the like. You can buy a 4hP will do the job nicely I think.

Wood carving = no place in buildnig a boat; keep the weight down; ply wood; fibreglass and simple. Otherwise, while you guys are still building the thing, you could be out fishing, sailing and so on.

if you do what i am suggesting this would be the bill for materials:

hull and foils 100,000b

mast and boom (2nd hand) 40,000b

other deck gear (harken or similar) 10,000b

sails (new dacron jib and main) 50,000b

sails (kite) 20,000b

trailer 40,000b

paint job 10,000b

other sheets etc 50,000b

TOTAL 350,000b max for everything not counting labour; add on another 150,000b in labour if you are going to get some help with it at a minimum; about 300,000b if someone does all the work for you.

Could be as cheap as 100,000b for the whole thing with good pilfering of parts. The lighter it is, the cheaper it will be.

Only registration you requrie these days is:

- trailer registration; get someone to build the trailer and you can get this at the same time

- boat valuation for insurance

- IRC/SBR registration if you decide to race it later on

Edited by steveromagnino

Now we are into boats.

I bought some time ago a Hobie 16 and a Laser.

Boath were damaged in the Tsunami and comes from a resort on Phukets westcoast.

I just got the hulls repared and spraypainted so they looks like new.

BUT

I need basicly to find everything - the mast , the boom and the platform allu frame, net for the Hobie 16 rudder sails ect.

and for the Laser, the mast, the boom , rudder, sweard, sails ect.

Some of the things I can make with local craftmens help, but the mast and boom are one of the problems.

Do any one know where I could find iterms to both boats,

sekondhand or made ud or anything alternative.

Now we are into boats.

I bought some time ago a Hobie 16 and a Laser.

Boath were damaged in the Tsunami and comes from a resort on Phukets westcoast.

I just got the hulls repared and spraypainted so they looks like new.

BUT

I need basicly to find everything - the mast , the boom and the platform allu frame, net for the Hobie 16 rudder sails ect.

and for the Laser, the mast, the boom , rudder, sweard, sails ect.

Some of the things I can make with local craftmens help, but the mast and boom are one of the problems.

Do any one know where I could find iterms to both boats,

sekondhand or made ud or anything alternative.

logo.gif

Phuket :o

Now we are into boats.

:D:D:D

I "only" have a 30 footer sail boat, but capable of going anywhere (which is more than the skipper is!) she needs a fair bit of TLC, but time and money at the moment seem to dissapear into work and the visa stuff for the missus.........

"Visa plan" plan H (or is it J?!!) is to sail down to Thailand and pick her up............. :o

Now we are into boats.

I "only" have a 30 footer sail boat, but capable of going anywhere (which is more than the skipper is!) she needs a fair bit of TLC, but time and money at the moment seem to dissapear into work and the visa stuff for the missus.........

"Visa plan" plan H (or is it J?!!) is to sail down to Thailand and pick her up............. :o

30 feet capable of giong anywhere? You don't own the Cone by any chance do you? nice little boat that one, a little underpowered, but still nice :-)

Regarding spare parts, bluewavewater sports carry all that gear and Varuna maybe has a trashed Hobie 16 or laser to pilfer gear off; mast should be easy as AFAIK the laser masts go soft and need to be replaced fairly often. Get in touch with the club and they may have something for you :-)

If any of you guys want to get into keelboat racing in Pattaya, I have some contacts. PM me on that.

• 3 years later...
Now we are into boats.

30 feet capable of giong anywhere? You don't own the Cone by any chance do you? nice little boat that one, a little underpowered, but still nice :-)

Regarding spare parts, bluewavewater sports carry all that gear and Varuna maybe has a trashed Hobie 16 or laser to pilfer gear off; mast should be easy as AFAIK the laser masts go soft and need to be replaced fairly often. Get in touch with the club and they may have something for you :-)

If any of you guys want to get into keelboat racing in Pattaya, I have some contacts. PM me on that.

Digging up an old thread here.

I'm new to sailing - where did you guys do your certifications? Suggestions? I'll be on a 50' catamaran in the Mediterranean later this summer (if all goes well) and I'd like to know what I'm doing and have all necessary certifications in order to not be useless.

Anybody ever heard of these guys? http://www.yachtmasterthailand.com/index.htm

Thanks in advance :jap: