American Tourist Drowns in Krabi, Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

By Adam Judd

Krabi – An American tourist drowned at the Viking Cave near Phi Phi Island in Krabi.

The Koh Phi Phi Police told our sister publication The Phuket Express that they were notified of the incident on Tuesday (April 18th) when a 51-year-old American man drowned in front of the Viking Cave at a coral diving area near Phi Phi Lay in the Ao Nang sub-district, Mueang Krabi district. (The Phuket Express is withholding his name pending embassy and family notification.)

A tour guide, whose name was withheld by law enforcement, told police that the tourist was initially alive and taken to a local hospital after an emergency led to his drowning. 

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/04/19/american-tourist-drowns-at-phi-phi-island-in-krabi/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-04-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 5

Sheryl will be able to give some insight into the possible phenomena that may have been at play with this fella.

It may have been the reflexive response in the body after a near drowning, or a short period of the heart actually stopping and speedy revival back to unassisted breathing and the heart starting again through CPR.

Our bodies, after breathing in fluid whether it be salt or fresh water, have an immune system response where our lungs produce white blood cells to fight the alien substance in our lungs. 

This fluid produces flu-like and at its worst pneumonia-like symptoms and the patient drowns in their own immune system response. This is also one of the features that Covid 19 produces by the way and which makes it so deadly.

I have experienced this 3 times in my life as a surfer and it aint' no fun I can tell you.

I was given oxygen and IV's for 2 days the 2nd and 3rd time.

The first time I was on a boat in the Mentawai Islands. Thankfully a French doctor on a nearby boat helped me manage and I recovered after days of being really sick and almost needing a military helicopter to evacuate me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Phi Phi police investigating drowned American man

6921728265_e30eb1c562_k-1536x938.jpg

PHOTO: Flickr/Normann

Police on the tourist magnet island of Koh Phi Phi are investigating the death of an American man thought to have drowned. According to a Phuket Express report, the 51 year old, whose name is being withheld until family members have been notified, was visiting the popular Viking Cave at the time.

The Viking Cave is on the opposite side of Koh Phi Phi Leh to the popular Maya Bay.

Viking Cave is a popular location for diving and snorkelling. It’s understood the American got into difficulty while in the water in front of the cave on Tuesday, April 18.

Full Story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/islands/phi-phi-police-investigating-drowned-american-man/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-04-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

On 4/20/2023 at 7:46 AM, nigelforbes said:

"the tourist was initially alive and taken to a local hospital after an emergency led to his drowning". 

This makes no sense, it's not very good reporting or English.

Wow what terrible english…better to say nothing if one can’t put a proper english sentence together 

It is impossible to say anything from the scanty information provided. We do not even know if it was due to drowning or if something else occurred i.e. heart attack or stroke while in the water. Or both i.e. some rvrnt tendrred him unconscious and thrn drowning on top of it. 

Speculation is pointless.