is Metformin available OTC in Thailand ?

chubby

Yes 500 mg and 850 mg...........  As always check out the price as some pharmacies charge a lot more than others.

Noticed at my last Hospital visit the person in front of me had 1,000 mg Metformin

I use the local Government Hospital + get all my pills from them, much cheaper than any pharmacies....  [No Pharmacies  around where I live stock Insulin]

Can't get "copy" to work.  However

(1) I don't believe the 1000 mg version is available in Thailand.

(2) And I think 750 mg should have been 850 mg.

(3) Glucophage is going to be a lot more expensive than local and generic brands.

Sign up for the diabetic clinic at your local hospital, especially if you live out in the sticks.

You get a thorough consultation with an experienced nurse, blood, urine tests, a quick session with a doctor, back to the nurse, a good bollocking about your lifestyle and diet, and medications for three months from the hospital pharmacy, all for just over B2000.

Once a year more thorough blood tests (kidney and liver etc) plus a chest X-ray. Eye check and foot check. That session costs a bit more.

Once you've registered and got a hospital number you can go to see a doctor or dentist pretty much any time you need to. My local hospital has just opened a physio clinic.

Yes you pay but it's a fraction of what you would pay if you go to a private clinic

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

Can't get "copy" to work.  However

(1) I don't believe the 1000 mg version is available in Thailand.

(2) And I think 750 mg should have been 850 mg.

(3) Glucophage is going to be a lot more expensive than local and generic brands.

Extended release metformin comes in both 750mg and 1,000 mg formulations here

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Extended release metformin comes in both 750mg and 1,000 mg formulations here

As Sheryl says Metformin is available in both 750 mg and 1000 mg formulations her.  If you also use Jardiance along with Metformin there is a combination called Jardiance Duo, which comes in a 1000 mg tablet with 12.5 mg's of Jardiance.

actually I'll be looking for 500mg, maybe I can break the 1000mg in half?

ymmv but per Eric Topol it may have some anti-long covid efficacy, so, I will seek a 2 week supply ,

not sure if it matters if its controlled release or brand name?

25 minutes ago, chubby said:

actually I'll be looking for 500mg, maybe I can break the 1000mg in half?

ymmv but per Eric Topol it may have some anti-long covid efficacy, so, I will seek a 2 week supply ,

not sure if it matters if its controlled release or brand name?

500 mg (non XR) is standard dose and readily available everywhere, many brands.

XR formulations should NOT be cut in half. 

No evidence at all that it will prevent COVID and should not be used for that purpose.

Some preliminary evidence that ir may reduce incidence of long COVID in people already infected with  COVID  but more research needed. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2023 at 11:37 AM, chubby said:

is Metformin available OTC in Thailand ?  Happen to know.

if so where in central BKK might I obtain legitimate medication?

As said by Sheryl, they are sold EVERYWHERE in Thailand at ALL hospitals as well as ALL pharmacies.... I have bought it here for 15 years now. I always stay away from brandnames which makes the very same product so much cheaper. I pay for a "copy" of Metformin 1 baht per pill/tablett.....

I once thought about taking Metformin when it was recommended as a wonder drug for prolonging life (widely discussed on the internet). In fact, I thought some clinical trials had started re its effectiveness in this capacity. However, from my reading, any benefits would require mega-dosing.