Man Rams Benz Into Bus Passengers, Killing One

george

This might come as a shock to you, but you don't need a license to have opinions. You only need a license to do proper medical diagnoses.

With your logic there should be a license to vote.

Read it again. No mention of a license. The comment was in reference to the amazing diagnostic skills of those commenting on the subject's presumed mental state. BTW you don't need a "proper license to do proper medical diagnoses(sic)" What is needed is competence and experience. :o Maybe one day they'll have a thread on wackos that visit ERs and I can share some of my adventures. Until then, be a prudent pedestrian.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I am impressed. I didn't know that there were so many qualified expat psychiatrists living in Thailand, and they're all members of TV. I am in awe of their ability to render a diagnosis based upon a couple of newspaper articles.

My friends have to rely on clinical evidence before they comment on organic illnesses. I wish they could be like these experts. No need for a biopsy, just look at a picture and know if there was a metastasizing tumour, Man that would be totally excellent. Where did some of these experts obtain their medical training? I want to recommend the school to a couple of my friends.

The aledged perpatraitor should be evaluated in a Forensic Center. If found to be mentally ill, once he is found competent to stand trial, and consequently if found guilty, he should be treated within a (RTP) Residential Treatment Program of a prison. Once he is adequately stable. He should then be stepped down to Outpatient Status within the prison, where he would continue to be followed by Mental Health professional. He may be "Guilty But Mentally Ill". The Mentaly Ill part may help explain the behavior, but not excuse it. This is the way it works in the United States Of America.

I am an expert in this field with over 22 years of experience.

Wow, I am impressed. I didn't know that there were so many qualified expat psychiatrists living in Thailand, and they're all members of TV. I am in awe of their ability to render a diagnosis based upon a couple of newspaper articles.

My friends have to rely on clinical evidence before they comment on organic illnesses. I wish they could be like these experts. No need for a biopsy, just look at a picture and know if there was a metastasizing tumour, Man that would be totally excellent. Where did some of these experts obtain their medical training? I want to recommend the school to a couple of my friends.

The aledged perpatraitor should be evaluated in a Forensic Center. If found to be mentally ill, once he is found competent to stand trial, and consequently if found guilty, he should be treated within a (RTP) Residential Treatment Program of a prison. Once he is adequately stable. He should then be stepped down to Outpatient Status within the prison, where he would continue to be followed by Mental Health professional. He may be "Guilty But Mentally Ill". The Mentaly Ill part may help explain the behavior, but not excuse it. This is the way it works in the United States Of America.

Lynching is simpler.

Embedded within the lead article are all sorts of excuses the accused' lawyers can use to get him off with a figureative slap on the wrist. Besides the 'diminished capacity' thing (by whatever name they use here), he gets points for being connection to the beauty queen, for having an ex-cop chief father, for being rich, for possibly being drunk (yes, that's a usable excuse for crimes here in Thailand). His strongest 'get out of jail free' card is his family can and will pay a big chunk of money to the vicitims. All those factors, individually or collectively come in to play by subjective jurists here, who bend over backwards to try to give rich and well-connected bad boys a way out of serving hard time. The chances the homicidal brat will do hard time are about the same as the likelihood that Thaksin will be extradited back to Thailand. In other words = nil.

Now what about an update on the off-duty cops who hacked off the girl's arm? Anyone got anything new on that?

That's all well and good.... but this is Thailand, where likely absolutely none of that will occur. :o

Dad sounds like a real :o it's no small wonder his son is "sick"...

Father accuses bus stop 'mob' of attacking his road rage son

The father of a man who rammed his Mercedes into a crowd at a bus stop on Wednesday night, killing one person and injuring several others, has threatened to file charges against bystanders who allegedly physically attacked his son and his car. Kan-anek Patchimsawat, father of Mr Kanpithak, 20, said he could not allow ''mob rule to be above the rule of law''. Kanpithak is the son of former Miss Thailand Sawinee Pakaranang and nephew of retired deputy police chief Ukrit Patchimsawat and comes from a very wealthy and influential family. He has been charged with murder and attempted murder. During a television interview yesterday morning, his father named Somjit Kaewkla, the bus conductor, as one of the attackers. He said he learned from his son that the woman damaged his car and tried to pull him from the vehicle. Mr Kanpithak remained sitting in his car as people tried to free three people who were wedged under the large sedan. Mr Kan-anek refuted Ms Somjit's statement to police that accused his son of faking illness after the incident, saying ''she lied.'' He also branded her an ''ill-educated'' person.

He said his son was unaware of what he did and blamed ''illness'' as the cause. It was reported that Mr Kanpithak had previously received treatment at the Galaya Rajanagarindra Institute, a renowned psychiatric hospital. The father claimed he rushed to hospital to calm his son down after he made a phone call saying he wanted to die. He also dismissed speculation that his son would eventually walk free from the case because of his wealth. ''If he hadn't been treated at the [Galaya Rajanagarindra] institute, he would go to jail,'' he said, adding that the family was awaiting medical records from the doctor who treated him. Police said they would issue a warrant for the arrest of Mr Kanpithak if he did not show up for questioning within the next few days.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/07Jul2007_news02.php

The news is going international now...

Man charged with ramming bus riders

BANGKOK, July 6 (UPI) -- A Thai man has been charged with killing a bus passenger and the attempted killings of several others he allegedly ran over with his car.

Kanpithak Patchimsawat, son of a former Miss Thailand winner, is accused of killing one passenger and injuring several others after arguing with the bus driver Wednesday evening, the Bangkok Post reported Friday.

Kanpithak had accused bus driver of hitting his car and the two briefly argued before the bus driver instructed passengers to board another vehicle. While the people were waiting for the next bus, Kanpithak allegedly drove his car through the crowd, trapping three people under the vehicle.

The victims were taken to Chulalongkorn Hospital, where one was pronounced dead. Two others were admitted with serious injuries.

Kanpithak was assaulted by a crowd before police arrived.

- United Press International

From the Nation

Father of Benz driver warns he will take legal action

The father of a 20-year-old man who killed one person and seriously injured three others when he drove over them in his car has hit back with threats of legal action against bystanders.

Kan-anek Pachimsawas yesterday vowed to take legal action against people who damaged his son's Mercedes-Benz vehicle after he had driven into them at a bus stop near Sukhumvit Soi 26 on Wednes-day evening.

One of the victims of the incident died on Thursday and three others remain in critical condition.

The incident occurred after Kanpitak apparently became angered by a bus driver following a traffic altercation. A rock was thrown at the bus driver.

Nine victims made police complaints against the driver, Kanpitak, the son of former Miss Thailand Savinee Pakaranang.

But Kan-anek yesterday threatened legal action of his own. He offered rewards for any witness who captured the alleged deliberate damage to the vehicle on video or mobile-telephone camera.

He insisted the incident was the result of a disease suffered by his son and told television news later that an "uneducated and low-class person" had incited the incident.

The story prompted Internet users to post scathing attacks at popular chat sites, many of them directed at Kan-anek.

"I will compensate the victims as deemed necessary and appropriate. But the compensation amount must not be too much," Kan-anek said later.

More here: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/07/07...es_30039737.php

This leaves me speechless. Blame all the victims, give them as little compensation as possible, and the holier than thou attitude with being so called hi-class makes me sick. Regardless, the son did it, send his hi-so arse to prison. The father, on the other hand, I can't express on this forum what should be done with him. :o:D :D :D :D

Edited by frodo

From the Nation

The father of a 20-year-old man who killed one person and seriously injured three others when he drove over them in his car has hit back with threats of legal action against bystanders.

Kan-anek Pachimsawas yesterday vowed to take legal action against people who damaged his son's Mercedes-Benz vehicle after he had driven into them at a bus stop near Sukhumvit Soi 26 on Wednes-day evening.

One of the victims of the incident died on Thursday and three others remain in critical condition.

The incident occurred after Kanpitak apparently became angered by a bus driver following a traffic altercation. A rock was thrown at the bus driver.

Nine victims made police complaints against the driver, Kanpitak, the son of former Miss Thailand Savinee Pakaranang.

But Kan-anek yesterday threatened legal action of his own. He offered rewards for any witness who captured the alleged deliberate damage to the vehicle on video or mobile-telephone camera.

He insisted the incident was the result of a disease suffered by his son and told television news later that an "uneducated and low-class person" had incited the incident.

The story prompted Internet users to post scathing attacks at popular chat sites, many of them directed at Kan-anek.

"I will compensate the victims as deemed necessary and appropriate. But the compensation amount must not be too much," Kan-anek said later.

More here: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/07/07...es_30039737.php

This leaves me speechless. Blame all the victims, give them as little compensation as possible, and the holier than thou attitude with being so called hi-class makes me sick. Regardless, the son did it, send his hi-so arse to prison. The father, on the other hand, I can't express on this forum what should be done with him. :o:D :D :D :D

Unfortunately there are many wealthy people in Thailand who think the right of them and their family to do anything they want utterly unmolested by the law is paramount. And also that laws are there to intimidate and/or destroy anyone who stands in the way of them.

The best hope for any form of justice in this case is continued publicity. Dont underestimate the links the family have with the police too.

Pretty callous complaining about the Benz beuing damaged after it was used as an offensive weapon according to all witnesses.

"uneducated and low-class person"
as deemed necessary and appropriate.

reading through this thread will expose those members who agree with him ......................................

:D Enter the monkhood and all will be fine.....pleeeeeeese, spare us this tragic version of boooodhism :D
I'm just waiting for the actor to announce he's going into the monkhood... :o

At this point in time he could not ordain. He would have to deal with his punishment first.

Its a shame he had to drag buddhism into it.

from the list of monk disqualifications at access to insight:

(B.) A suspect or criminal for whom a warrant has been sent out. At present this would include people on probation or parole.

edited to fix up the b.) smiley bug :D

Edited by Grover

Can I just ask the same question again - who said he was mentally ill???

He argued with everybody at the scene, hit bus driver with a rock, mowed passengers with his car and suddenly posters here say it's ok because they think he has a medical condition.

He doesn't have a medical condition, I bet he has a dozen medical certificates that all say he is healthy, the one he used for driver's license application is the most important one.

It will be at least a month before he undergoes phychiatric evaluation and all opinions on what to do with mentally ill people should be postponed until then (if it was indeed found that he has a problem).

Until then it's just a pathetic excuse used by his father, along with "low class" and "uneducated" comments.

He doesn't have a medical condition, I bet he has a dozen medical certificates that all say he is healthy, the one he used for driver's license application is the most important one.

Im not condoning anything but these certificates take no longer than 90 seconds to get and consist of nothing more than a half assed blood pressure reading and a quick feel of some glands on your neck.....

True, but these are the only ones he has. He has never been diagnosed with a mental condition.

Wait until his doctor from Galajendra Instiute comes back from overseas trip and explains to the public why he thought it was not necessary to restrict his patient from driving. So far it looks like there's nothing to explain, otherwise he would have been diagonsed already (he paid three visits hald a year ago).

True, but these are the only ones he has. He has never been diagnosed with a mental condition.

Wait until his doctor from Galajendra Instiute comes back from overseas trip and explains to the public why he thought it was not necessary to restrict his patient from driving. So far it looks like there's nothing to explain, otherwise he would have been diagonsed already (he paid three visits hald a year ago).

Agree. If he really were "mentally ill" as claimed by these so-called parents, why on Earth would they even allow a child with a "mental illness" to drive in the first case. Any sane or rational parent would never allow a "mentally-ill" child to own or drive a car. Sounds like mom and dad were too preoccupied in their own lives and felt it necessary to over compensate their precious baby with material goods. All the anger could be very well have been a cry for attention from mom and dad. No, it didn't work this time either. All dad is worried about is the Benz and nothing more. Pathetic.

Road rageFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As early as 1997, therapists in the United States were working to medicalize road rage by certifying it as an official mental disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.[citation needed] According to an article published by the Associated Press in June 2006, the behaviors typically associated with road rage are the result of intermittent explosive disorder.[citation needed] This conclusion was drawn from surveys of some 9,200 adults in the United States between 2001 and 2003 and was funded by the National Institute of Mental Health.

The cause of intermittent explosive disorder has not been described to date. There are many different views on whether "road rage" is a mental issue or not.

Edited by page449

From the Nation

Kan-anek Pachimsawas yesterday vowed to take legal action against people who damaged his son's Mercedes-Benz vehicle after he had driven into them at a bus stop near Sukhumvit Soi 26 on Wednes-day evening

I will compensate the victims as deemed necessary and appropriate. But the compensation amount must not be too much," Kan-anek said later

This is a very arrogant, selfish and nasty person who seems to view the victims with contempt. I for one hope the victims and the Thai legal system strips him of his wealth

Kananek Pachimsawas yesterday vowed to take legal action against people who damaged his son's Mercedes-Benz vehicle after he had driven into them at a bus stop near Sukhumvit Soi 26 on Wednesday evening
by wilfully throwing themselves against it whilst it accelerated on to the pavement in their direction!

Even for here, that has to be the most egregious statement made.

Regards

A typical example of people with money who have no common decency or respect for others. I couldn't beleive that Kitanek could actually come out with these statements, I think that the less said the better, and he really should keep his opininons to himself. It just looks like they are lining up an escape plan for their son.

In regards to his "Mental Illness", it does appear somewhat strange that he does not appear to have an ongoing illness, i.e. not undergoing any therapy or treatment and was last seen by a Psych professional over a year ago (I might be wrong).

It would be interesting to see what the records show from the previous contactcs and whether there were any particular risk factors identified. Normal procedure when coming into contact with services in the UK regardless of whether or not you are actually placed on a caseload.

If a Doctor has given him a fit to drive letter he would also be seen as culpabale if in fact he has a mental illness.

My understanding though is that Psychiatric services in Thailand lag way behind practices in the Western world and power and ifluence in this country may well able him to "purchase" a Mental Illness.

I am a qualified Forensic Mental Health Nurse.

My Condolences to the family of the dead girl.

I was watching some TV show about this a few hours ago and they quoted some transport official as saying they would be, or were considering, tightening up the DL requirements to incorporate some kind of psychological assessment. Nice idea, but I can't see that happening. At it is, the medical certificate often required here has long been a joke and a waste of time.

Road-rage bus killer to be arrested

(BangkokPost.com) - Court allowed the issuance of arrest warrant against a son of a former Miss Thailand winner who rammed his car into bus passengers on Thursday.

Kanpithak Patchimsawat, 20-year-old son of Sawinee Pakaranang, is charged with murder and attempted murder after he ran over several bus passengers with his car, killing one and injuring a number of others.

The Post Publishing Public Co

Kananek Pachimsawas yesterday vowed to take legal action against people who damaged his son's Mercedes-Benz vehicle after he had driven into them at a bus stop near Sukhumvit Soi 26 on Wednesday evening
by wilfully throwing themselves against it whilst it accelerated on to the pavement in their direction!

Even for here, that has to be the most egregious statement made.

Regards

If the sentence for possession of speed is 33 years reduced to 8 on appeal. What sort of sentence would they dish out for damaging a wealthy person car?

What he did was awful and I feel very sorry for the family of the dead woman. However if you watched the footage on T.V its clear the guy has some very severe mental and depression problems. You shouldn't underestimate what this can do to normal people who are unfortunate enough to suffer from medically recognized problems (not just a short temper etc..).

NR, Your right the guy is a danger to society but what he needs is mental care not just prison for the rest of his life.

Jake

I haven't seen any footage, just read the news reports. However, if he so clearly suffers from mental problems, I'm afraid I have to trot out the same as I did for the actor with the garbage collector (sorry for being repetitive, all) - <deleted> was he behind the wheel of a car? As we have seen through both of these tragic incidents; cars, when in the hands of those physically or mentally incapable of driving them do kill. So, why should those that act so irresponsibly as to drive whilst incapable get away with compensation & apologies?

I just said "lock up & throw away the key". Whether that is in jail, or a mental facility - he just needs to be kept away from society, IMO

It's not all about this one incident.....This guy is an epileptic...they should be removed from the roads completely. This situation is also about how BAD the whole thai driving systen is, and the sivere lack of testing they have for future drivers

The whole system is a complete mess and the roads are a free for all for any nutter with a car. These nutters rarely get stopped, unless a lamp post or wall does it for the boys in brown who usually stand on a corner and nevver pull over any cars while patrolling the roads.. Man will have walked on Mars before the first Thai patrol car with an onboard computer makes it to the road.

Add to that the problem of very common and bad driving habits, another impossible mess now that people have been allowed to drive as they see please, not according to the law.

A driver's license is a permission to drive, not a right.

An example of Thai justice?

The Appeal Court sentences Pornphan Rattanametanon, a former popular singer, to 33 years and five months in jail for possessing amphetamines on Friday. The ruling increased the jail term as the Criminal court sentenced her to only eight years.

33 years for a few pills - yes OK maybe dangerous drugs? But 33 years?

Actually her and her boyfriend were fairly well known "small time" dealers on the RCA scene and in certain private party circles. It wasn't just possession. Couldn't afford to live well any more, didn't save any of her income while she was still selling albums, couldn't adjust to going back to a normal lifestyle, etc.

And if you're dealing meth and x, you're dealing death to tens and likely hundreds of folks somewhere down the line. Hardly compares to a case of road rage.

:o

Thanks for the clarification Heng. I wasn't aware that the lady was a dealer (large or small time doesn't matter, they all wreck lives).

The Nation merely said "possessing" not "with intent to deal". If she's guilty as accused then,yes, she got what she deserved.