Man Rams Benz Into Bus Passengers, Killing One

george

At least in Thailand a victim can get compensation a lot quicker than having to wait years and years for litigation to wind its way through the courts

what are you smoking ?

By the sounds of it he's smoking Mr Kan-anek's C@#*%

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three of four bus-rage victims recovering

Three of the four victims critically injured when 20-year-old Kanpithak Patchimsawat rammed his Mercedes into a row of bus passengers following a quarrel with the bus driver are said to be recovering in hospital. Doctors at Kluai Nam Thai and Vibharam hospitals said that two of the patients with fractured bones will make a full recovery within a couple of months. Another patient suffering from infections on his ankle and thigh was also described as making good progress. Medical experts, however, are still closely monitoring the condition of Saengmanee Imsodari, being treated at Camillian hospital. She is still being fed intravenously and is breathing with the aid of a respiratory apparatus. She will undergo another operation later Wednesday. Meanwhile, the union of the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) plans to sue Mr Kanpithak's father after he called the staff "uneducated" and "lower-class people."

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=120070

=========================

best wishes to all those injured...

In other countries this would have led to real rebellion. Not here - oh, how these guys have brainwashed the masses. You've got to hand it to them in a very perverted sense..They're clever. (But as most of us know, not really, just in their own little Animal Farm enclosure).

It's nice how you want to foment a revolution in Thailand. Before you leave your comfy armchair and start your quest to liberate the downtrodden Thai people, you might want to consider practicing your skills elsewhere. Start with the USA and its political lobbying corruption or protest Scooter Libby's favoured treatment. Or maybe you might want to take a crack at France's ingrained corrupt bureaucracy, or maybe visit the UK and protest the selling of peerages. Try reading some of the briefs put out by the various bar associations and law societies throughout the western world complaining about the lack of access to legal assistance and remedies that the poor encounter.

At least in Thailand a victim can get compensation a lot quicker than having to wait years and years for litigation to wind its way through the courts, assuming of course that the victim in the west has the means to bring the suit.

And remember, if you become so disgusted with the Thai way of life, you do have the option of leaving and going to Utopia or returning to your perfect native land where there is no crime and no injustice.

Your post matches perfectly up with both aspects of your moniker. However, I suggest you find a way to add in the senility aspect, either praecox, due to advanced age or both.

General news >> Wednesday July 11, 2007 DATELINE BANGKOK

Road rage case highlights rich-poor divide

Thai Rath Editorial _ The recent car accident involving the son of a wealthy family and a poor bus driver is another sad example of the widening gap between the rich and poor in our country. The young man made front-page headlines after he rammed his Mercedes Benz into a group of people on the pavement after hitting the bus driver with a rock. A commuter was killed and three others were injured after being hit by the car. Talking to the press later, the young man's father labelled the angry crowd who mobbed his son as ''without education''. He said police should press charges against the attackers as well.

It is highly offensive to accuse someone of being illiterate. There are millions of poor people in our country who do not have an education. It is not their fault to have been born poor. Without money, they cannot get a good education and, therefore, remain trapped in poverty.

Unquote

I have highlighted what i consider quote of the ongoing debate and it,s implications on the less privileged.

This as in many ( The majority ) of instances is one of the most offensive and unjust realities of Thai cultures past, ( and present ) i,m sad to say.

Please go to url

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/11Jul2007_news24.php

for the complete article.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

In other countries this would have led to real rebellion. Not here - oh, how these guys have brainwashed the masses. You've got to hand it to them in a very perverted sense..They're clever. (But as most of us know, not really, just in their own little Animal Farm enclosure).

It's nice how you want to foment a revolution in Thailand. Before you leave your comfy armchair and start your quest to liberate the downtrodden Thai people, you might want to consider practicing your skills elsewhere. Start with the USA and its political lobbying corruption or protest Scooter Libby's favoured treatment. Or maybe you might want to take a crack at France's ingrained corrupt bureaucracy, or maybe visit the UK and protest the selling of peerages. Try reading some of the briefs put out by the various bar associations and law societies throughout the western world complaining about the lack of access to legal assistance and remedies that the poor encounter.

At least in Thailand a victim can get compensation a lot quicker than having to wait years and years for litigation to wind its way through the courts, assuming of course that the victim in the west has the means to bring the suit.

And remember, if you become so disgusted with the Thai way of life, you do have the option of leaving and going to Utopia or returning to your perfect native land where there is no crime and no injustice.

Very witty and informed post. :o

Bus-rage interrogation

Police will allow the parents of Kanpithak Patchimsawat, the 20-year-old man who rammed his car into passengers at a bus stop last Wednesday night, killing a woman and severely injuring other people, to attend an interrogation on August 9. Metropolitan police chief Pol Lt-Gen Adisorn Nonsi said they wanted to ensure fairness for all. The parents may want to comfort their son while he is in police hands. :o Kanpithak's family claim he has mental problems.

Pol Lt-Gen Adisorn said police were questioning doctors at Samitivej Hospital who treated Mr Kanpithak for injuries after the incident. Pol Maj-Gen Anan Srihiran, chief of Metropolitan Police Division 5, said there was strong evidence to support the prosecution of the man.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/11Jul2007_news99.php

I think some of you are being too hard on geriatric kid. He's right, the injured might not have to wait too long for compensation, and may even receive the equivalent of a several thousand dollars in compensation. The dead woman's family might even get as much as 10,000 dollars! I doubt they would be able to spend that money in a lifetime. That should more than make up for any damages, perceived or real, caused by these people getting in the way of the poor little Moo Ham's Benz.

And we mustn't lose sight of how the driver's family must be suffering. The Benz will need repair, and when they sell it the damage may still be apparent to the trained eye. They may not even get top dollar for it!

P.S. They will also have to buy a little doll to hang at the back now that the car has killed someone, and they will have to be careful if they drive it up in Chiang Mai.

I think you are too subtle here for uninitiated, qualtrough.

10,000 dollars is peanuts even in Thailand, won't even buy them a one room "condo" (but it still is something - they won't get a better deal from the courts).

The Benz the brat was drving cost at least 100,000 dollars new.

At what point does the majority of any society that is being subjigated decide that they have had enough?

When a cop is shot and killed by a rich hi-so's son, people felt bad. But they thought (rightly or wrongly, 'well, it was a cop and they are all corrupt anyway - so we don't know the full story'). But when something like this happens, when a rich kid runs down people who pissed him off ever so lightly, and you get this absolutely gut wrenching and revolting reaction from the idiot rich father, then what?

NOTHING? Is that it?

If that's the case, then there is absolutely no hope for the majority of people in this country. Add to this that the Thai language papers drop the story within a day of it happening and you have confirmation of this lament.

I guess you don't read the Thai message boards then? According to my husband, who does so quite regularly, the general opinion posted on these boards is disgust and outrage. But also the feeling that it doesn't matter what people think because, being rich and hi-so, he'll get away with it, just like all the other ones.

Yes - You're right. I need to suspend my disbelief on this one. In fact, Thai Rath ran an excellent opinion piece the other day that basically said until this sort of disgusting class-system discrimination is tackled the country will never heal its divisions (I took that to mean the ongoing political conflicts between the hi-so Bangok establishment and the masses (TRT supporters etc) as well as other things).

At what point does the majority of any society that is being subjigated decide that they have had enough?

When a cop is shot and killed by a rich hi-so's son, people felt bad. But they thought (rightly or wrongly, 'well, it was a cop and they are all corrupt anyway - so we don't know the full story'). But when something like this happens, when a rich kid runs down people who pissed him off ever so lightly, and you get this absolutely gut wrenching and revolting reaction from the idiot rich father, then what?

NOTHING? Is that it?

If that's the case, then there is absolutely no hope for the majority of people in this country. Add to this that the Thai language papers drop the story within a day of it happening and you have confirmation of this lament.

I guess you don't read the Thai message boards then? According to my husband, who does so quite regularly, the general opinion posted on these boards is disgust and outrage. But also the feeling that it doesn't matter what people think because, being rich and hi-so, he'll get away with it, just like all the other ones.

Yes - You're right. I need to suspend my disbelief on this one. In fact, Thai Rath ran an excellent opinion piece the other day that basically said until this sort of disgusting class-system discrimination is tackled the country will never heal its divisions (I took that to mean the ongoing political conflicts between the hi-so Bangok establishment and the masses (TRT supporters etc) as well as other things).

No no no! Thai people are not capable of sophisticated thinking.

This case has nothing to do with the ongoing conflict between Bangkok establishment and the masses (which does not exist in this form anyway).

If you want to bring broader political picture into play than the "masses" would probably agree to take the money and be quiet and the "establishment" would demand jail and justice.

So, if you want to take sides - which side are you on?

This case has nothing to do with the ongoing conflict between Bangkok establishment and the masses (which does not exist in this form anyway).

If you want to bring broader political picture into play than the "masses" would probably agree to take the money and be quiet and the "establishment" would demand jail and justice.

So, if you want to take sides - which side are you on?

Really? Those people of 'uneducated and low class' who 'attacked' his son's car after his son ran them over on purpose? The establishment are the ones that deposed Thaksin and TRT - are you in any doubt about that?

I'd suggest the exact opposite to your post actually. It's the "masses" that are demanding jail and justice in this case (as the Thai Rath editorial and other poster pointed out above). It is precisely the "establishment" who traditionally 'agree to take the money'. Ever wonder why Thaksin's money wasn't frozen earlier, and so much of it seems to have disappeared? (He probably got it - at a 'discounted' rate.)

So now you know which side I'm not on. Which side are you on? That of the guy driving the Benz and his father?

It's nice to try to draw lines and all that... but the only difference between poor Thais and well to do Thais is the amount of wealth they have. The norms are the same. If Somchai and Somying Wandee from Ban Baanok had a hundred million+ in assets with their son Somsak running over some poor kid in Chaiyapum, they'd be looking for the same kind of cash out of court settlement.

:o

It's nice to try to draw lines and all that... but the only difference between poor Thais and well to do Thais is the amount of wealth they have. The norms are the same. If Somchai and Somying Wandee from Ban Baanok had a hundred million+ in assets with their son Somsak running over some poor kid in Chaiyapum, they'd be looking for the same kind of cash out of court settlement.

even in the west the parents are paying to keep spoilt dipsh1ts from being accountable to society - the recent shemozzle with the blonde heiress in the USA.

but what would have been the outcome if some farmers son had run over and killed moo ham in a tuk tuk ?

Really? Those people of 'uneducated and low class' who 'attacked' his son's car after his son ran them over on purpose? The establishment are the ones that deposed Thaksin and TRT - are you in any doubt about that?

I'd suggest the exact opposite to your post actually. It's the "masses" that are demanding jail and justice in this case (as the Thai Rath editorial and other poster pointed out above)...

I seriously doubt that anyone in that family had any genuine interest in anti-Thaksin movement. PAD was most certainly not the benz driving crowd. People who protested against Thaksin are most likely the ones who flooded Internet forums with "jail and justice" messages.

There are no grounds to link this family to "establishment" that ousted Thaksin and there are no grounds for politicising the issue.

I'd suggest the exact opposite to your post actually. It's the "masses" that are demanding jail and justice in this case (as the Thai Rath editorial and other poster pointed out above)...

I seriously doubt that anyone in that family had any genuine interest in anti-Thaksin movement. PAD was most certainly not the benz driving crowd. People who protested against Thaksin are most likely the ones who flooded Internet forums with "jail and justice" messages.

There are no grounds to link this family to "establishment" that ousted Thaksin and there are no grounds for politicising the issue.

Look Plus, I don't give a flying fart about Thaksin, and I'm glad he's out of the picture. But spare me the blindered view. Are you seriously suggesting that the people who supported the PAD movement were the same as those riding an 8 baht bus to their 250 baht per day jobs? It was the establishment and middle-classes who hated Thaksin - and hated - or at least have always had utter contempt for the people riding that bus. The people who speak like that about 'low educated and low class' people are the same people who lost their 'cut' in Thaksin's repositioning of 'commissions' to big business and away from the 'traditional' way of continuing the staus quo for these groups.

Who was Sondhi (the media leader of PAD)? You reckon he rides the bus?

Can this actually be correct? So the next time the fit-stiffy runs into a bus, they're going to fire the driver? Although I'm not sure what they mean by 'engaging' in a road accident.

Article from The Nation:

Accident will cost bus drivers their jobs.

A bus driver engaging in a road accident, no matter how big or small it is, will lose his or her driving job.

"This measure is in response to our policy to prevent accidents caused by the bus drivers," a public-relations official of Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) said Tuesday.

The measure is applicable to bus drivers doing the services under concessions granted by BMTA too.

"A concessionaire will face Bt50,000 fine if it hires those with accident record as a driver," the PR official added.

According to BMTA, there were 356 accidents involving BMTA buses and its concessionaires' buses between October 2005 and August 2006. These accidents injured 535 people and killed 41 victims.

From October 2006 to June this year, BMTA buses and its concessionaires' buses had 271 accidents in which 461 people were injured and 31 others killed.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/07/17...al_30041235.php

Edited by Monkey Fish

Are you seriously suggesting that the people who supported the PAD movement were the same as those riding an 8 baht bus to their 250 baht per day jobs? It was the establishment and middle-classes who hated Thaksin - and hated - or at least have always had utter contempt for the people riding that bus.

I'm not suggesting it, it's a fact, and your insinuation about utter contempt PAD demonstrators had for people riding buses is laughable. Completely off the mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Like all high profile cases, they are swept under the carpet as soon as the dust settles, however, some good might come of it.......

DRIVING LICENCES TOUGHER SCREENING IN RATCHABURI

Wanna drive? Pass the shrink test

ONNUCHA HUTASINGH

Ratchaburi _ The banner headline coverage of a 20-year-old man who rammed his car into a crowd of people at a bus stop on Sukhumvit road early last month might call into question how and why a man with such serious emotional problems got a driving licence. There is no easy answer to this, but the tragedy, which ended with one dead and many injured, has at least prompted transport authorities to take stricter measures on issuing driving licences.

Ratchaburi's land transport office is at the forefront of attempts to make sure any would-be driver is physically and mentally fit to drive as it is the first unit in Thailand requiring applicants to undergo health and mental checks.

The office employed an in-house doctor to run the checks from last month, shortly after the shocking incident.

Dr Jarutus Narischat, a retired doctor from the provincial health office, said the basic medical check-up on each applicant lasts about 10 minutes. During the exam, the doctor also looks for other signs of health and mental problems.

The law states that people with mental illness, mental disorders, mental retardation, alcoholism, contagious leprosy, tuberculosis, elephantiasis, and eye diseases are not allowed driving licences.

Since the scheme was launched, Dr Jarutus said he had found no applicants with psychological problems. He checks around 100 applicants a day.

The office's chief, Sucheep Wannaying, said his agency was also the first to adopt a multi-million-baht computerised system for driving tests.

The system covers optical checks and the 30-question test randomly selected by the computer. It also offers special services for illiterate people by reading out the questions to them in five languages _ Thai, English, Chinese, Japanese and Yawi.

''It's very difficult,'' said Praman Kaomodchod, 22, who was applying for a licence. The man did not pass the computerised exam.

''Thanks to our modern system, no one can cheat to obtain their licence,'' Mr Sucheep said.

Meanwhile, Banlue Thilangkoon, head of the office's driving licence section, revealed that dozens of traffic violators a month were ordered by the court to get training sessions on how to drive safely before engaging in two days of community service.

''A driver with a healthy mental condition but a lack of social responsibility is more dangerous than one who is psychologically unstable. Hence, instructions on safe driving should be taken into account too,'' Mr Banlue said.

Deputy chief Chairat Sa-nguansor said his agency together with the Medical Council, the Department of Mental Health and other relevant agencies, plans to set up a working group to check on licence applicants' health.

If the applicant fails to pass the physical and mental examination, he or she will not be allowed a driving licence.

bangkok post today

''Thanks to our modern system, no one can cheat to obtain their licence,'' Mr Sucheep said.

Right then,...

I think the spoilt little psycho's mental problems might stem from nobody ever telling their Little Emperor; "no", perhaps?

The office employed an in-house doctor to run the checks from last month, shortly after the shocking incident.

Dr Jarutus Narischat, a retired doctor from the provincial health office, said the basic medical check-up on each applicant lasts about 10 minutes. During the exam, the doctor also looks for other signs of health and mental problems.

The law states that people with mental illness, mental disorders, mental retardation, alcoholism, contagious leprosy, tuberculosis, elephantiasis, and eye diseases are not allowed driving licences.

Since the scheme was launched, Dr Jarutus said he had found no applicants with psychological problems. He checks around 100 applicants a day.

The office's chief, Sucheep Wannaying, said his agency was also the first to adopt a multi-million-baht computerised system for driving tests.

Why do I find this so hard to believe? He does 100 tests a day? 10 minutes each? Even back to back tests would take nearly 17 hours!!! Everyday.

Are you seriously suggesting that the people who supported the PAD movement were the same as those riding an 8 baht bus to their 250 baht per day jobs? It was the establishment and middle-classes who hated Thaksin - and hated - or at least have always had utter contempt for the people riding that bus.

I'm not suggesting it, it's a fact, and your insinuation about utter contempt PAD demonstrators had for people riding buses is laughable. Completely off the mark.

The fact in my Bangkok suburb is that the people riding 8-Bahts buses supported TRT and did NOT go to the PAD rallies. It was the middle class, people with a car (not a Benz, but a car), who went to the protests.

It is possible that poor people in other areas did go to the PAD rallies, but I would be interested to know which specific areas these were.

As for the utter contempt from PAD supporters, another fact is that I've seen it face-to-face. It goes along the lines "these low-so people, they vote for the guy we don't want, they are stupid, so they shouldn't have the right to vote anyway." The lady who speaks like that drives a car, and used to go to Sanamluang every friday evening last year. That's my fact, and no insinuation. So, can you honestly tell us that you've never come across this line of thinking among PAD supporters?

Apologies for being off-topic, by the way.

I have this little suspicion that this thread has gotten off-track... I can't for the life of me see what party politics has to do with the incident of the OP... can we please get back/stick to that or else we should close this thread and let the usual suspects do their thing in more topical locales...

• 2 weeks later...
The story will surely surface again soon. This isn't one that people will let slide by.

I dunno about that, Tony. This piece of scumsh1t will get off the hook because of daddy's connections. The unwashed hoi polloi can rant and rave all they want, but when it comes to the Patricians, money, connections and power IS everything, sadly to say!! :o