Hello My Big Honey

LaosLover

Does anyone remember this seminal (pun intended) book subtitled "letter between bar girls and their customers"? It was from this genius tome that the first water buffalo has died-cash request was reported.

Sadly, my fave book category, whoremonger studies, is completely dead.

Hazard Posting (the series) about a fat brit gassing on about bargirls from his stool in the Cockney Heaven Bar in Pattaya was another good 'un.

Did you read these books back in the day, and hopefully, did you write one? I still see Yellow Fever on the shelf here.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bignok said:

You think guys writing about bars are telling the 100% truth? 

The book in question is about BARGIRLS telling their side of things.

Only you and you alone -possibly in the universe- would hold their accounts as gospel.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bignok said:

You think guys writing about bars are telling the 100% truth? They would be lying to make it all sound more exciting.

whats exciting about being lied to and cheated by bar girls? See Thailand bound YT channel for todays stories, cheeky Peter gets people to send them in then published them in a book! I sent one and he derided it as 'negative' as I did not like Pattaya and married a teacher instead of a bargirl. His Korean wife of 30 years just divorced him over his Thai bar hobby, pretty negative!

Edited by proton
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, proton said:

whats exciting about being lied to and cheated by bar girls? See Thailand bound YT channel for todays stories, cheeky Peter gets people to send them in then published them in a book! I sent one he and he derided it as 'negative' as I did not like Pattaya and married a teacher instead of a bargirl. His Korean wife of 30 years just divorced him after 30 years over his Thai bar hobby, pretty negative!

So these books are all truthful? No exaggerated stories to sell more bookd. Naive to think so.

• Sad 1

Hello My Big Honey was the first to puncture the myth of the girlfriend experience.

Prob was a big earner. The only other title on the shelf to buy was the deeply wretched Occidental Adam, Oriental Eve.

That film had an extended run in New York.

The 90's fascination with available sex in an exotic land knew no bounds.

This was all pre-anal sex pics by the millions on the internet. Just the thought of getting a blowie without having to be a boyfriend was mind-blowing.

8 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Your contributions would be more valuable if you had read the book -or any similar book at all.

Or if you had, and were willing to talk about it. But nothing like that is going to happen here, am I right?

Fictional stories about bargirls is pretty low rent stuff. 

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Ok must be early Stickman type stories. After reading some of that gee if you believe all of it good luck.

The book was written 15 years before stickman started, the book is more reliable than the entries on stickman and the dross on Thailand bound.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a thread about recalling the bygone days when sex workers in Thailand reached international consciousness. And the media products that ensued.

Only you -again, alone in the universe- think this thread is about debunking sex workers stories -while at the same admitting to raptly believing whatever came out of their mouths when you sat on that long ago barstool. 

Once again, you are claiming a deep well of knowledge -that you absolutely refuse to share, at all. What motivates you to do this?

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know how I know this, maybe I saw it in Asia Books in Royal Garden Plaza once but the title is "Hello My Big Big Honey". 

Google says it was first published in 1992. I have even heard of Thailand in 1992!

Someone is trying to flog it on Amazon for seventy-five bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Hello-Letters-Bangkok-Revealing-Interviews/dp/0867194731

I used to bring back copies for my many (well, back then) feminist friends.

It was a pretty slender read that seemed to have been put together in 20 minutes. But it was first to market and deserves it's iconic stature.

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

Did you read these books back in the day

I've only read Private Dancer and No Money, No Honey, the latter being about Singapore. 

I've forgotten most of NMNH, the only thing I recall is the response of a working girl to a question about paying for sex. Her response was "where got free <deleted>?" ????

I use the term quiet often as it's a bit more exotic than the old "free lunch" adage.