Driving test

itsari

I took a driving test in Thailand very recently and now I can see why there is so much bad driving in the country . First was the written exam where you choose one of four answers . That was very easy and completed two sets of 50 questions . One for a car license and the second for a motorcycle license . I completed both in around 40 minutes and passed . 

Motorcycle test was a ball of confusion as there is no explanation in english . Just follow the other guy says the man in charge . That all went well thankfully although rather stressed about the whole business on a very hot afternoon . 

Then came the driving test in the car and  it was very confusing what was happening . I was watching many reverse parking and i can say with confidence i would not give one of the many i witnessed a license . If a person is allowed out on the roads with the ability that they showed when reversing i can well understand why there is so many deaths on the roads in Thailand .

I failed my test because i went over two parallel  white lines in the road when stopping . OK , very dumb of me ,but i have seen that most thai drivers place the back wheels on the stop line when stopping . 

Have a new try in a few days at the driving test that is instrumental in so many deaths on the roads .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, I too took the Thai driving test which consists of 3 elements (2 parking and one reversing). One of the glaring omissions, is not teaching or testing drivers for emergency stop. As the OP says, it's no wonder there are so many deaths on Thailand's roads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the club.

I did the motorcycle test in 2017 and what an outright joke that is.

It's a traffic kindergarten,follow the signs, for once use indicators and the stop at the stop sign.

A childish easy circling around traffic cones.

Most difficult the 15 cm wide elevated concrete strip, some x meters long.

Drive over without stopping/foot down.

Some participants had to be reminded to wear a helmet :cheesy:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Car/truck accidents happen mainly because of speeding apart from others I would say not reversing. 

Small Motorbikes and scooters make up for a large percentage of accidents.

Many accidents causing death on motorcycles are caused by cars and trucks  being driven badly .

If you cant reverse a car that speaks volumes for driving forward at what ever speed .

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

If you cant reverse a car that speaks volumes for driving forward at what ever speed .

Those from left hand driving countries are in advantage.

Close parking on the left is still a bit of an effort for me.

Thais hate reverse and don't know three point turn.

I am always concerned as Thais don't know what's happening. They pass you from the left and the right with no care,

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, itsari said:

Many accidents causing death on motorcycles are caused by cars and trucks  being driven badly .

Disagree no reverse on my bike.????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Welcome to the club.

I did the motorcycle test in 2017 and what an outright joke that is.

It's a traffic kindergarten,follow the signs, for once use indicators and the stop at the stop sign.

A childish easy circling around traffic cones.

Most difficult the 15 cm wide elevated concrete strip, some x meters long.

Drive over without stopping/foot down.

Some participants had to be reminded to wear a helmet :cheesy:

Had to wear long pants , shoes and of course a mask . 

I agree , very amusing experiance made more stressful wit the extreme heat 

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Those from left hand driving countries are in advantage.

Close parking on the left is still a bit of an effort for me.

You can get cars that can reverse into a parking spot doing it for you, pretty cool i reckon. 

32 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How does not being good at reversing speak anything, never mind volumes, about being able to drive forwards?  

If you can't work out how to position the car and use the steering wheel for putting the car where you want it forget about going too far forward .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, itsari said:

If you can't work out how to position the car and use the steering wheel for putting the car where you want it forget about going too far forward .

"...can't work out how to position the car and use the steering wheel for putting the car where you want it..."

The very reason that you failed according to your OP!  So, to use your words, you should forget about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...can't work out how to position the car and use the steering wheel for putting the car where you want it..."

The very reason that you failed according to your OP!  So, to use your words, you should forget about it.

If you say so, oh , by the way , the high way code in Thailand demands you turn the engine off when refueling

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

All types of motorbikes make up for approximately 80% of deaths.

I guess there's a lot more big bikes than there use to be but 2 wheel motorbike accidents are not given in categories as far as I know.

1 hour ago, quake said:

Failing a driving test in Thailand.

It's just to funny. 

Got to go for a beer now. :cheesy:

I went for a beer after my failure with foreigner that failed as well . He failed as he went through the first manouvre two times instead of once . Crazy 

4 minutes ago, itsari said:

I went for a beer after my failure with foreigner that failed as well . He failed as he went through the first manouvre two times instead of once . Crazy 

Way to look at it, is it's just a game you need to play.

We all know what most of the Thais are like on the roads.

good luck next time. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

After condemning the standards, let's hope, then, that you're not so hypocritical that you consider yourself capable of driving properly if you do manage to scrape a pass after your first failure!  

Have you been for a thai driving license test ? 

I passed my driving test on my 17th birthday in 1970 . 

Driven all over Europe , USA and  Australia with out too many problems . 

But not good enough for Thailand 

Cant help bad luck 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, quake said:

Way to look at it, is it's just a game you need to play.

We all know what most of the Thais are like on the roads.

good luck next time. 

Thank you , it will be ok next time round . 

I should of organised the driving test for the next day . Two lots of questions and motorbike test was more than enough for one day .

Yes we all know how they are on the roads . The only reason that would drive me from the country to be honest .

• Thumbs Up 1