No SSA deposit until 8 May?

Until last month, I had been getting my SSA check deposited into Bangkok Bank on the 3rd when that was a weekday. Last month, it delayed until the 4th--Bangkok Bank seems to need an extra day when daylight savings starts in the US, as this happened last year too. So this month I should expect to get the deposit on the 4th, yes?  No. Bank Holiday for Coronation Day. And just saw that the 5th has been made into yet another extended Coronation Day holiday. Of course, then the banks are closed on the weekend, the 6th and 7th. So maybe I get the deposit on the 8th??? 

Interesting.  Have not seen my deposit be as late as the 4th. always 1st-3rd as I recall. 

You should always have 50-100K in the bank as backup in case of hospitalization (insurance takes time to repay) or if you needs to purchase an emergency flight home, etc...

Also your 800K deposit can be used if you are 4 months away from renewal of your one year Visa Extension

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Interesting.  Have not seen my deposit be as late as the 4th. always 1st-3rd as I recall. 

You should always have 50-100K in the bank as backup in case of hospitalization (insurance takes time to repay) or if you needs to purchase an emergency flight home, etc...

Also your 800K deposit can be used if you are 4 months away from renewal of your one year Visa Extension

Good advice about the extra cash. I keep 400K to 500K available in addition to the 800K in my retirement account that I need to go to the bank to get. But I don't want to wait a week for a deposit either. I seem to remember this happened last year, too. BTW, Bangkok Bank had been good about getting 3rd of the month deposits in accounts until last month. They were coming in late in the day, sometimes around 4:30, but they were getting there. But I believe daylight savings time in the US, when it starts, knocks things back an hour or two. 

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

account that I need to go to the bank to get.

I pay all utilities through the BKK banking app and pay for many other things as well.  Keeps it simple and receipt automatically saved on your mobile.

Seems these days no one under 40 even carries cash. I see farangs buying 70 baht cigarettes at 7-11 with their mobiles. Saw I guy on here that wanted to pay his short time lady friend with Crypto.  5555

• Like 1

My guess is that you would most likely get it on the 3rd of May, worst case on the 5th, last couple of months my payment has come in to late in the day for me to make it to the bank before it closed, no big deal except if it comes in late on a Friday then I have to wait until Monday. Wife had Krungthai Bank IDD, and hers always comes in early on the 3rd

20 minutes ago, flexomike said:

My guess is that you would most likely get it on the 3rd of May, worst case on the 5th, last couple of months my payment has come in to late in the day for me to make it to the bank before it closed, no big deal except if it comes in late on a Friday then I have to wait until Monday. Wife had Krungthai Bank IDD, and hers always comes in early on the 3rd

The 5th is yet another holiday for banks they added. 

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

The 5th is yet another holiday for banks they added. 

didn't know that, but it shouldn't make any difference they are all electronic transfers which should show up when they arrive. If not I guess it would be the 8th, but I can't see that happening, been doing it for seven years, and never gotten it latter than the 4th

4 minutes ago, flexomike said:

didn't know that, but it shouldn't make any difference they are all electronic transfers which should show up when they arrive. If not I guess it would be the 8th, but I can't see that happening, been doing it for seven years, and never gotten it latter than the 4th

I suspect that there’s a difference between the day/time it’s received by the banks systems and when it settles and posts — that’s i’ll bet where the slow down comes from .. 

While not SSA, I do get a monthly wire from my US employer and often the bank (in this case Kbank) receives it pretty much instantly- at any hour of the day or into the night; but it won’t post and be visible to me nor settle, until the next business day. 

I can't help, but you scared the pants off of me. My deposit goes into a US bank, which with WISE, I should have my money tomorrow afternoon/evening.

I've thought many times about getting Uncle Sam to go direct into my account here. You're convincing me that's not a good idea.

US pays on 3rd every month unless the 3 is on a weekend. Last couple of months paid on 3rd from US 

Recorded in BKK Bank on 4th. This month because if Thai holidays it won’t be released until the 8th unfortunately.. 

Thought it would all be automated but seems like it has to be released on the Thai side. I’ve googled several times to find the answer but no luck…. 

Our local branch is open from morning until 16:00 weekdays. Had two branches the other in marker was open 7 days like 10:00 to 19:00 but it was closed.. if we have to do banking on weekends need to drive 90 km each way and wait a couples because it’s crowded in the mall..

12 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I can't help, but you scared the pants off of me. My deposit goes into a US bank, which with WISE, I should have my money tomorrow afternoon/evening.

I've thought many times about getting Uncle Sam to go direct into my account here. You're convincing me that's not a good idea.

To be honest, I would fear my US bank going under this weekend before anything ever happened with my Thai bank. I can say I've had some delays such as the Coronation Day holiday delays with getting my money through and out Bangkok Bank. But it has always been there eventually. And most of the time, I do get it on the 3rd/4th.

Edited by John Drake

10 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Thought it would all be automated but seems like it has to be released on the Thai side. I’ve googled several times to find the answer but no luck…. 

One time I contacted Bangkok Bank to see why a transfer from my American bank was taking so long. They returned my call later from what they said was their international office. They were apparently going through transfers and checking them manually before approving them. Or at least this happens at one level. I've noticed that when I do a small transfer with Wise, it goes through in a matter of seconds if it's around $1500-1700. But if I transfer a somewhat larger amount, say $6000 or $7000, then it takes a couple of days to get into my Bangkok Bank account.

On 5/2/2023 at 3:19 PM, Soondae said:

As well for WISE transfers to Bangkok Bank, tried a transfer today and WISE stated it will take until the 8th to arrive.

Just a few minutes ago, I was going to send $7000 via Wise to Bangkok Bank. It notified me, too, that I it would take until 8 May to complete. I then tried just a thousand and it said it would take seconds to transfer. It did. 7 seconds, in fact. That is an adjustment I see that Wise has made since I last used it.  Nice to see that you can get the option of seconds versus days for delivery.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I've been getting direct deposit to BKK bank for seven years, never latter than the fourth, all deposits show international transfer so no problem with Immigration, my deposit did arrive today

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, DJ54 said:

US pays on 3rd every month unless the 3 is on a weekend. Last couple of months paid on 3rd from US 

Recorded in BKK Bank on 4th. This month because if Thai holidays it won’t be released until the 8th unfortunately.. 

Our local branch is open from morning until 16:00 weekdays. Had two branches the other in marker was open 7 days like 10:00 to 19:00 but it was closed.. if we have to do banking on weekends need to drive 90 km each way and wait a couples because it’s crowded in the mall..

I did receive mine today 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 3:19 PM, Soondae said:

As well for WISE transfers to Bangkok Bank, tried a transfer today and WISE stated it will take until the 8th to arrive.

That attempt that WISE stated will not arrive until the 8th was to be placed on the 1st (a holiday). I then attempted to model another transfer on the 3rd for the same amount and it went thru same day. Funny how they work, if you see along time for transfer try it again a different day.

As another member mentioned, larger amounts take more time to BBL via WISE. Since I had to go to IMM yesterday I did the paper to open a new bank account and did so yesterday with Kashikorn. Transfers from WISE to KBank are instantaneous as I believe WISE keeps their funds in KBank.