Leaving UK on Thai Passport or British Passport

I am leaving the UK.  Should  I and my daughter use our Thai or British passport?

We left Thailand on the Thai one and had to show the British one when in the UK.

Edited by Neeranam

16 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

If you show your British passport when leaving the UK you will be asked to show a Thai visa (for a visit longer than 30 days)!

Surely they will just ask to see a Thai passport?

Always out Uk on British passport and in Thailand on Thai, but show the airline the Thai pp to satisfy check in staff of their obligation to ensure they are not letting people fly without a Thai visa/Thai pp. That you filled in info online with your Thai pp is fine. Whatever you do, don’t stamp into Thailand using British pp, but we all know that. ????

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Makes sense but the docs I uploaded to the airline are out Thai passports. 

Which is the right way to do it, if you're concerned that Thai Immigration will see that you - as a naturalised Thai - are still using your UK passport. Since you'll have your UK passport with you at check in at UK you can show that to the airline if they ask. But if the airline shares passenger info with Thai Immigration then it will show you traveling on Thai passport. 

Which is why it's always best, on arrival at Suvarnabhumi, to use the e-gates to avoid someone looking through your UK-visa free Thai passport.

Incidentally, as a Brit, you are entitled to not renew your UK passport when it expires and instead get a Right Of Abode sticker in your Thai Passport. If you don't intend to travel much other than between Thailand and UK, it's an option to consider.

Edited by BKKBike09
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, ian carman said:

Don’t you enter your passport details on the ticket ?

Yes.

I made it back no problem. 

Funny thing when coming in the fast track/Thai line, the officer wouldn't speak Thai to me, or my kid.

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
41 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Have  you got a Thai passport and can you speak Thai ?

That's amazing 

Yes, but don't see why it's amazing. 

Its not... but he may be commenting on your ability to shoe-horn those simple facts into the many threads you comment in.... ????????

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not... but he may be commenting on your ability to shoe-horn those simple facts into the many threads you comment in.... ????????

Don't think he's a troll.

I was simply commenting on what was known and that it was strange the guy never replied to me in Thai language. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I was simply commenting on what was known and that it was strange the guy never replied to me in Thai language. 

A case of the eyes not believing the ears.... !!!...    

I’ve spoken to enough people here to see the ‘rabbit in the headlights look’ when I speak Thai to a Thai who is not expecting it....  Its often amusing when they suddenly realise its Thai they are hearing, but sometimes it takes a moment for the penny to drop...  

But lets face it... Immigration here are a surly bunch.... So it was probably just that... I don't even bother to acknowledge them anymore.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What did you say to him ?

They just usually look at your passport and there's no need to say anything to each other 

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What did you say to him ?

They just usually look at your passport and there's no need to say anything to each other 

It's just a thread about Thai citizenship badge.

Anyone would know to enter Thailand with Thai pp if you had one and returning to live in Thailand. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's just a thread about Thai citizenship badge.

Anyone would know to enter Thailand with Thai pp if you had one and returning to live in Thailand. 

Yes, I do think that the main reason for posting this thread wasn't to ask the obvious question about passports , it was more like *I need to go to 7/11 , should I drive there in my Lamborghini or my Ferrari , what do you think *

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, I do think that the main reason for posting this thread wasn't to ask the obvious question about passports , it was more like *I need to go to 7/11 , should I drive there in my Lamborghini or my Ferrari , what do you think *

Perfect analogy.

• Like 1