Name change - Can it be done without going to Thailand?

If I have put this in the wrong forum please move it. My wife's Thai passport is still in her maiden name and we have always wanted to get it changed to her married name. I can see problems further down the line if we don't get it changed before we apply for her first UK passport after citizenship which will be going in on the 18th May.

Can anybody let me know if it's to change her name without being in Thailand and what's involved?

Thanks.

Checking here with the Consulate it appears it must be done in Thailand in order to obtain a new passport with the name change.  

Thai Passport - Royal Thai Embassy, London

Please note:
The Royal Thai Embassy, London will issue a passport containing the first name and surname of the applicant in accordance with the personal data in House Registration Document only.

If the applicant has changed or wishes to change his/her surname after marriage or divorce, the applicant is required to bring evidence of marriage or divorce in order to apply for an amendment of his/her personal data at the District Registration Office in Thailand prior to applying for a new Electronic Passport in London.

A name change involves several documents all effected by said change, ID Card, which requires presence for the photograph. Tabien Baan she is registered in Only done on the ground in Thailand.Passport cant be donbe until those are.

So there is no way that a family member get the necessary change in the Tabien Baan? My wife had her latest Thai ID card supplied by the Embassy in London. It's very frustrating.

30 minutes ago, rasg said:

So there is no way that a family member get the necessary change in the Tabien Baan? My wife had her latest Thai ID card supplied by the Embassy in London. It's very frustrating.

Other people cant change names. Thats illegal. Otherwise they could just steal your identity. I cant see why she cant just use her birth name.

I'm not sure how long ago your wife got her UK passport but the rules were changed a while back and my wife's new passport, (assuming she gets citizenship, of course), will be in her maiden name. So both of her passports will be in her maiden name and she would like them in her married name. They no longer allow a Thai and British passport to have different names. It would have been good to get them changed but it's not a huge problem.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rasg said:

They no longer allow a Thai and British passport to have different names.

Assuming, by "they" you mean British authorities. That seems crazy. Your partner comes to the UK in maiden name, you get married and she assumes your last name in marriage (from marriage certificate). After the required period, she applies for British citizenship but they won't allow that unless her Thai passport has been changed to her married name? I'm sure you must be correct. Do you have a link to this as I know someone in the UK whose Thai wife is just about to apply for UK citizenship?

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Assuming, by "they" you mean British authorities. That seems crazy. Your partner comes to the UK in maiden name, you get married and she assumes your last name in marriage (from marriage certificate). After the required period, she applies for British citizenship but they won't allow that unless her Thai passport has been changed to her married name? I'm sure you must be correct. Do you have a link to this as I know someone in the UK whose Thai wife is just about to apply for UK citizenship?

Here's some gov.uk (from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/change-of-name-guidance/use-and-change-of-names) on the subject;

"Dual nationals

Normally dual nationals will be expected to align the name on their foreign passport or identity card with the names requested on Home Office issued documents.

However, where individuals can provide evidence that they are unable to change their name in their foreign issued documents, the Home Office will exceptionally consider allowing them to use a different name in a Home Office issued document (see Annex A). This may include married naturalised British citizens who are unable to change the family name on their foreign passport due to legal requirements. Such individuals may also be asked to provide evidence that they are living in the new name for all other official purposes.

Where, in exceptional circumstances, a different name is allowed for dual nationals then this will be recorded on Home Office systems and as an observation in the British Passport."

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Here's some gov.uk (from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/change-of-name-guidance/use-and-change-of-names) on the subject;

"Dual nationals

Normally dual nationals will be expected to align the name on their foreign passport or identity card with the names requested on Home Office issued documents.

However, where individuals can provide evidence that they are unable to change their name in their foreign issued documents, the Home Office will exceptionally consider allowing them to use a different name in a Home Office issued document (see Annex A). This may include married naturalised British citizens who are unable to change the family name on their foreign passport due to legal requirements. Such individuals may also be asked to provide evidence that they are living in the new name for all other official purposes.

Where, in exceptional circumstances, a different name is allowed for dual nationals then this will be recorded on Home Office systems and as an observation in the British Passport."

Thanks. Quite a change, however not easy and not always possible. Yet another hurdle to gain a British passport. Good luck to the OP!

From the updated guidance in 2019:

Foreign nationals who apply to become British citizens may be registered or naturalised in their married name. However, if a new citizen wants a British passport in their married name they must change the name on their other passport(s), travel documents and national identity card(s) to reflect their married name before submitting their application. Exceptions to this approach are set out in Exceptions to guidance.

Edited by soi3eddie