Phone & Internet in US

MrKFC

I recall with some fondness the days when the phone stayed anchored safely to the wall. For 45+ years, never once wondered how to use it or where the damn thing was located ... today I'm pretty ignorant about all the options available today.

Making a run to the US soon, first time in 3 1/2 years, and we're trying to find the least expensive options for making our phones work there, will stay about 5 months.

Very little telephone time required but will be traveling, mainly needing to use it for wifi hotspot.

Phone is a Samsung Galaxy s10, purchased in Chiang Mai, will accept 2 sim's - only one in place now.  

Can I buy a 2nd sim card here that will work there? 

Has anyone tried DTAC's international service - this page shows a plan for 1 year w 17gb that's cheaper than any of the 180 day plans I've seen.
https://www.dtac.co.th/en/dtac-promotion/packages/gotravel.html

Currently using AIS but they don't show any US service.

Any recent experiences? Suggestions?
Thanks,
DS

• Like 1

I encountered this problem about a year ago:  Some of the US carriers require a 5G phone to work on their  networks.  Is the Samsung. S10 5 G capable?  For ATT a 5G phone is required but only certain models will work on its network.  I would suggest researching some of the US cell phone companies very carefully before you leave.  I have a 5G capable Samsung phone and so fare T-Mobile has not been a problem.  I spent 3 weeks back in California and bought a prepaid sim at a local T-Mobile store..  

Add me to the folks telling you to get a US SIM card for use while in the USA.

Virtually no carriers require contracts these days so you won't be locked into anything (unless you want a phone contract to subsidize the cost of a new phone.)

You'll have more and cheaper data plans plus the customer service will be better should you encounter any problems.  Do you really want to try to obtain assistance from DTAC while in the USA if/when something goes wrong?

We've used Straight Talk purchased through Walmart.....

When we go we RV, so need it for calls, reservations, etc....

Straight Talk uses all available cell towers making it useful & the RVer's choice for day to day.....

If you plan on YouTubing & posting videos needing lots of data usage, you might need to go with a carrier's plan....

Big 3 US carriers are Verizon, T-Mobile and ATT. Check their coverage maps then go with an MVNO.

recommend:

www.visible.com - MVNO for Verizon (probably best network)

www.mintmobile.com - MVNO for T-Mobile

I can recommend both if you're in their coverage areas. I have Visible at $15/month unlimited everything (special offer).

Mint Mobile available on Amazon with delivery to Thailand.

14 hours ago, MrKFC said:

Phone is a Samsung Galaxy s10, purchased in Chiang Mai, will accept 2 sim's -

That phone also has wifi calling.

Meaning when in the USA you can connect to wifi & use your Chiang Mai/Thailand sim & it will be as if your in Thailand. Even for banking etc

As for US cell service AT&T has a month to month no contract unlimited talk & text plan for $26 a month if you give credit card number for auto billing. Which you can turn off easily online when you leave & billing/plan stops. So if AT&T works in your area of visit that is a possibility

Internet wise you will have to shop around your area

Edited by mania

Answering these questions can help refine a recommendation...

How long will you be in the U.S.?

What is your budget?

How much data do you think you'll use/need?

How many calls (minutes), remember you pay for both incoming and outgoing calls, will you use?

What is the exact make and model of your phone?

Do you need service immediately at the arriving airport?

Are you AIS prepaid or postpaid? AIS offers some roaming packages which will at least get you started until you can source a local SIM.

For five months, mostly data, you're going to need a prepaid SIM, with a monthly plan for which your CC will be billed.

Peronally I would go with an Unlimited prepaid plan in the six-month category. For ~ $45/month (plus sales tax) this will give you unlimited voice, text and 40 GB of data.

I like UltraMobile, they're a T-Mobile MVNO and in the process of being pruchased by T-Mobile, so the coverage is great. You could order the SIM, have it delivered to someone you know and will see or your first hotel, or you can find it in many stores.

https://www.ultramobile.com/plans/

But there are others

USMobile

Mint Mobile

Edited by bamnutsak