Boating Forum

18 minutes ago, BostonJoe said:

Advise  it all depends on what you bought twin screw or single. Do you plan on using it in salt or freshwater  Are you trailering it of leaving in the water at a marina    

My plan was to convert an old Thai fishing boat to a dayboat to float around the islands on retirement.  A few years ago I saw a report of a guy in Phuket who had sucessfully done the same and spent weekends cruising around the Andaman. The cost was minimal although I'm not sure where he kept it.

However, when the plan came about I had somewhere to moor a boat - I don't now so mooring costs might affect my choice of boat.

I don't need to impress anyone and I don't need a pe&%s extension, I just want to potter about down in the Eastern islands so an old Thai boat would have been ideal to cruise along slowly but that might have to change. Don't really fancy an outboard and I've been looking around at alternatives that are not popstar prices.  The Yanmar Toprun and Nissan Suncat look like potential alternatives.  If I can find somewhere down around Trat where I can moor a boat safely I might keep to the old fishing boat idea.

As retirement approaches I want to make a start - I'm a complete novice and all I know is that I need a boat captain's licence - not sure if that is affected by size.  As I say, I have a lot to learn so want to make a start.  Retirement could come as early as next year - up to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you in America  if so boatwise is a great place to check out  you can even take lessons from a captain on handling and navigation   as the say in the states if you can buy it you can drive it no captain  Lic needed unless you're  fir hire charters 

1 hour ago, BostonJoe said:

Are you in America  if so boatwise is a great place to check out  you can even take lessons from a captain on handling and navigation   as the say in the states if you can buy it you can drive it no captain  Lic needed unless you're  fir hire charters 

No, my time is spent between Thailand and England.

3 hours ago, RayWright said:

For the UK, Google your nearest RYA (Royal Yachting Association) center. Various courses covering powerboats. Level 2 a minimum if you want to hire/ charter upto 10m. There are RYA schools in Thailand, so you could make it a working holiday whilst you learn the ropes.

Thanks for that - good advice.  Not sure about this charter/hire business, there is a minor possibility that I could mix business with pleasure but I doubt the Thai labour laws would allow me to actually be in charge of a boat being used for business purposes.  I have seen places advertising that they will get you through your 'Boat Captain's'  licence in Phuket so I just presumed it was a requirement for all boats?

• 3 weeks later...