Best home ISP for international traffic

wprime

So I was with AIS 5G before but it was just unusably unreliable (not specific to international traffic but probably specific to my location).

I just signed up for True 500/500 fibre plan and yesterday speeds were decent (200/50 to Australia), but today they're down at 100/0.3 with repeated drop outs.

Is there a more reliable option? I don't mind paying commercial rates if it means guaranteed international throughput.

AIS 5G means some mobile (phone) plan?

I have 3BB (1000/500) since years and it's reliable and fast.

Can't comment on True but just from reading here it sounds like a lot of complaints.

Those who are the "masters" of international fiber lines are the former ToT and CAT.

Now merged to NT (National Telecom). I don't know whether they do individual fiber to the home. ToT did.

Can we repeat your measurements?

That's what I get for "Telstra, Sydney" with OOKLA:

telstra.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

your problem is your location, not international bandwith. Thai international internet has bben bullet proof for years now. If the infrastucture is <deleted> though, you are gong to have inconsistent service. 

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Can't comment on True but just from reading here it sounds like a lot of complaints.

Those who are the "masters" of international fiber lines are the former ToT and CAT.

Now merged to NT (National Telecom). I don't know whether they do individual fiber to the home. ToT did.

telstra.jpg

this is what i get with AIS

14711878269.png

locally my connection is a bit slow today, but not sos you would actually notice during use:

14711883776.png

18 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Can you tell what Sydney server this is?

I see about 30 different ones.

Just looked up "biggest internet provider in Australia".

Your ping times are significantly higher.

AIS fiber has been praised here in a couple of posts.

Edited by KhunBENQ

21 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Can you tell what Sydney server this is?

I see about 30 different ones.

Just looked up "biggest internet provider in Australia".

Your ping times are significantly higher.

AIS fiber has been praised here in a couple of posts.

top of the list when you search sydney.

labelled sydney telstra

50 minutes ago, n00dle said:

14711878269.png

locally my connection is a bit slow today, but not sos you would actually notice during use:

14711883776.png

If your testing AIS on Ookla, it's going to give you a very different result (vary favourable), to testing with testmy.net through another location, such as Sydney. Not all speedtest sites are reliable or accurate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry are you using your phone, or your computer?

My download results on computer are:

96.3 on my computer (LAN)

and 299.9 on my phone (Wifi)

both through my NTT router

using testmy.net through Singapore

Edited by samtam

26 minutes ago, samtam said:

Are you using a router?

You can connect a PC or phone  to the internet WITHOUT a router

if connect it via WiFi directly, in which case it will be quite a bit slower.

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

telstra.jpg

AIS 5G was via their 5G router (the plan is the same as a mobile plan but through a router).

Yes my measurements were with Ookla to Telstra Melbourne.

It's very variable, this morning was 100/0.3, now is 271/3

spacer.png

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

your problem is your location, not international bandwith. Thai international internet has bben bullet proof for years now. If the infrastucture is <deleted> though, you are gong to have inconsistent service. 

It was my location with AIS 5G, but not with True. I get good speeds domestic servers with True, just international is slow.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

14711878269.png

14711883776.png

That's very good, is that just IS Fibre? The normal consumer plan?

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

You can connect a PC or phone  to the internet WITHOUT a router

if connect it via WiFi directly, in which case it will be quite a bit slower.

and how do you reckon you  broadcast wifi through the house without a router?

1 hour ago, samtam said:

Sorry are you using your phone, or your computer?

My download results on computer are:

96.3 on my computer (LAN)

and 299.9 on my phone (Wifi)

both through my NTT router

using testmy.net through Singapore

those were all using ethernet (cat 6) to my router.

1 hour ago, wprime said:

hat's very good, is that just IS Fibre? The normal consumer plan?

yes, i think 600 baht per month, its cheap enough that i dont even know. In the philipines i paid 5x that for a stable 20mbps connection.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, n00dle said:

those were all using ethernet (cat 6) to my router.

Please explain. Your internet signal from ISP comes INTO your router, via optic or copper.

Then you distribute that signal via your router OUT to other devices either by CAT cable to PC or TV if the router is close enough, or CAT is long enough.

Otherwise you connect devices, phones, printer, lights etc via a WiFi signal given out by your router, either 2.4 or 5 GHz.

Is this the correct way of thinking please?

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Please explain. Your internet signal from ISP comes INTO your router, via optic or copper.

Then you distribute that signal via your router OUT to other devices either by CAT cable to PC or TV if the router is close enough, or CAT is long enough.

Otherwise you connect devices, phones, printer, lights etc via a WiFi signal given out by your router, either 2.4 or 5 GHz.

my fibre connection comes into my router and then an etherent cat6 cable connects to my work computer, 

the rest of my house is running on 802.11ax wifi, but the majority of my devices are 802.11ac. 

Edited by n00dle

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If you want to get really specific, my phones, tablets, android tv box, music server pc and any other personal devices high-data use all connect through 5Ghz. Google home controller devices are also on the 5ghz.

The IOT and smart home applications (around 30 devices -- lights, ac, fans, tv and amplifier power switching etc)  run on 2ghz

Edited by n00dle

4 minutes ago, n00dle said:

my fibre connection comes into my router and then an etherent cat6 cable connects to my work computer, 

the rest of my house is running on 802.11ax wifi, but the majority of my devices are 802.11ac. 

Yes. Same for me except that I have run a long Cat 6 from my downstairs office up to my first floor lounge where I run a NUC PC as a dedicated Media Windows 11 jobbie. The Smart TVs and Fire Stick are on the 5 GHz WiFi and my lights/air con controller on the 2.4 band. All works fine.

2 minutes ago, n00dle said:

If you want to get really specific, my phones, tablets, android tv box, music server pc and any other personal devices all connect through 5Ghz. Google home devices are also on the 5ghz

The IOT and smart home applications (around 30 devices -- lights, ac, fans, tv and amplifier power switching etc)  run on 2ghz

Great. Just said the same on my reply to you.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yes. Same for me except that I have run a long Cat 6 from my downstairs office up to my first floor lounge where I run a NUC PC as a dedicated Media Windows 11 jobbie. The Smart TVs and Fire Stick are on the 5 GHz WiFi and my lights/air con controller on the 2.4 band. All works fine.

i had a few issues until i moved the google minis (living room, kitchen and my bedroom in a 2 story house) onto the the 5ghz and left the 2ghz to smart devices.

I used to run a long cable, but wifi has gotten so fast its not really necessary.

Edited by n00dle

4 minutes ago, n00dle said:

i had a few issues until i moved the google minis (living room, kitchen and my bedroom in a 2 story house) onto the the 5ghz and left the 2ghz to smart devices.

I used to run a long cable, but wifi has gotten so fast its not really necessary.

I get full speed, 1Gb/s via the cable, but a lot less on WiFi. Not that I need the speed, there's only my stuff and the Mrs's phone on it!

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I get full speed, 1Gb/s via the cable, but a lot less on WiFi. Not that I need the speed, there's only my stuff and the Mrs's phone on it!

upgrading my router from the crap the ISPs provide changed everything. The internet in Thailand is phenomenal for the price second only to places like korea, I have peole form north america visit and they are stunned. The people i

know from my time in the philipines weep    

Edited by n00dle

3 minutes ago, n00dle said:

upgrading my router from the crap the ISPs provide changed everything. The internet in Thailand is phenomenal for the price second only to places like korea, I have peole form north america visit and they are stunned. The people i

know from my time in the philipines weep    

I looked at an Asus one at Invade, giving up to 1200 Mb/s WiFi. Would the Optic from 3BB simply plug into the input of that, I know I would need to set up a few serial numbers and passwords.

But then I think WHY. It's all working fast enough to watch 4K movies on You Tube or FireStick.

On 5/9/2023 at 2:50 PM, KannikaP said:

I looked at an Asus one at Invade, giving up to 1200 Mb/s WiFi. Would the Optic from 3BB simply plug into the input of that,

The Asus product you looked at is likely to be just a router - not a modem.

Generally all the ISP devices are combined modem/routers except I see some ISPs are offering a package where you "bring your own device" (router) and they have just a small modem box connection.

You plug your router into their modem with a Cat5e/6/etc cable. You can do this now with the current modem/router. 

However you may want to read up on double NAT and Access points and whether the current modem/router can be put into bridge mode if that is the way you decide to go.

• Confused 1