Eating bacon is wreaking havoc in your gut, doctor warns

Social Media

Processed meat

These are meats preserved in processes involving smoking, curing, salting, and adding preservatives. And while they're high on taste, they're low on health benefits.

Common processed meats include sausages, bacon, ham, and deli meats.

Meat processing can help improve its texture and shelf-life but when eaten in excess they can also harm your health.

Early animal studies have suggested salt may destroy certain strains of lactobacillus bacteria in the gut, although more research is needed.

But more worrying is the addition of nitrates and nitrites, which are used to preserve their colour and flavour.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 6:11 PM, Baht Simpson said:

"When eaten in excess...." is the key as always. Just don't eat fried bacon or any other fried foods to excess.

Just eat a healthy, balanced diet with the odd treat and you'll be fine. 

Same with alcohol. Drink in moderation.

Please show a website that says bacon in moderation is safe as opposed to any bacon is dangerous. The same goes for all processed meats like salami , ham and sausage meats. They're all on the cancer list these days.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/27/2023 at 5:20 PM, ozimoron said:

Please show a website that says bacon in moderation is safe as opposed to any bacon is dangerous. The same goes for all processed meats like salami , ham and sausage meats. They're all on the cancer list these days.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/bacon-bad-you

"The current advice from the NHS recommends that if you currently eat more than 90g (cooked weight) of red and processed meats a day, you should cut it down to 70g a day. This is equivalent to two or three rashers of bacon or a little over two slices of roast lamb, beef or pork (with each about the size of half a slice of bread). In light of the more recent evidence, it's best to reduce your intake of all processed meats to once every couple of weeks. Therefore, keeping your bacon intake to a minimum is recommended – eating it every couple of weeks is best."

As with most things it's about dosage and frequency.

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Same as alcohol. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 7:03 PM, Baht Simpson said:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/bacon-bad-you

"The current advice from the NHS recommends that if you currently eat more than 90g (cooked weight) of red and processed meats a day, you should cut it down to 70g a day. This is equivalent to two or three rashers of bacon or a little over two slices of roast lamb, beef or pork (with each about the size of half a slice of bread). In light of the more recent evidence, it's best to reduce your intake of all processed meats to once every couple of weeks. Therefore, keeping your bacon intake to a minimum is recommended – eating it every couple of weeks is best."

As with most things it's about dosage and frequency.

Up to you but when I read stuff like this, I follow the recommendation. I don't go looking for some shred of confirmation bias and ignore the preponderance of advice.

Cut out processed meats altogether or keep them to an absolute minimum. Processed meats include bacon, ham, devon, frankfurts, chorizo, cabanossi and kransky.

https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/1in3cancers/lifestyle-choices-and-cancer/red-meat-processed-meat-and-cancer/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Up to you but when I read stuff like this, I follow the recommendation. I don't go looking for some shred of confirmation bias and ignore the preponderance of advice.

Cut out processed meats altogether or keep them to an absolute minimum. Processed meats include bacon, ham, devon, frankfurts, chorizo, cabanossi and kransky.

https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/1in3cancers/lifestyle-choices-and-cancer/red-meat-processed-meat-and-cancer/

You asked me to provide proof then when I post a link you accuse me of looking for "a shred of confirmation bias." Bizarre.

In any case your link gives pretty much the same advice as mine i.e. "keeping your bacon intake to a minimum is recommended" v. "Cut out processed meats altogether or keep them to an absolute minimum. "

No one ever died of bacon.  I think we can agree it should be a rare treat.  Like sex.   ???? 

• Haha 1