Whats best place to live for a few months also need a new passport

In such a pickle at the moment, 6 weeks ago i was married 2 kids. Renew visa in June all good, that all changed.

Mrs left, wont help renew visa, slowly but surely kids sided with her.

With only 2 pages left on passport as i didn't think i need to renew passport for another 1 year as its 1 year 1 page and not enough time to renew it before visa finished, I find myself in crappy situation of perhaps having to get a 30 day visa exempt in thailand, packing my stuff and lóoking at a Vietnam while I wait for a new one (takes 60 days apparently in Thailand and after applying you cannot leave the country) which puts me in overstay range.

I ancticipate no help from the wife but stupid UK rules state once you have applied for the passport you cannot use it again till the new one arrived, so that would of even worse.

So i am looking at options of vietnam, order a new passport, come back,

What area is cheap but ok, qnd stuff to do, im thinking Ho Chi Min but would like to research.

Budget of 1000 UK per month if possible.

And of course, can you apply for a renewal UK passport in Vietnam.

TIA

12 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

but stupid UK rules state once you have applied for the passport you cannot use it again till the new one arrived,

Surely it is not a "stupid UK" rule as every time you renew a passport you have to surrender the old one.

There is an online premium service for extra cash. 

20 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

So i am looking at options of vietnam, order a new passport, come back,

What area is cheap but ok, qnd stuff to do, im thinking Ho Chi Min but would like to research.

Budget of 1000 UK per month if possible.

And of course, can you apply for a renewal UK passport in Vietnam.

TIA

Vietnam won't want you.

Best to go to Cambodia or Philippines.

Personally I'd use VFS in CM or BK for your new passport (currently 9 weeks) and a 60 day extension to visit wife if required.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Surely it is not a "stupid UK" rule as every time you renew a passport you have to surrender the old one.

There is an online premium service for extra cash. 

Thats not true, you dont do any of that, you turn up, apply for a passport, from that moment on you cannot use it to travel, once you get the new one they clip the corner.and give it you back.

So depending on the timeframe of them renewing it, you cannot leave the country where you applied.

Also no express service, i asked

Edited by 2008bangkok

18 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Thats not true, you dont do any of that, you turn up, apply for a passport, from that moment on you cannot use it to travel, once you get the new one they clip the corner.and give it you back.

So depending on the timeframe of them renewing it, you cannot leave the country where you applied.

Also no express service, i asked

You keep the old passport, nothing is physically done to it until the replacement arrives.  Yes it is cancelled in the UK "system" when the application reaches there but they do not tell anybody unless they are specifically asked.  So whilst it is true that is is not officially valid for travel nobody outside of the UK will know that, so it's a risk you may or may not wish to take.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

You keep the old passport, nothing is physically done to it until the replacement arrives.  Yes it is cancelled in the UK "system" when the application reaches there but they do not tell anybody unless they are specifically asked.  So whilst it is true that is is not officially valid for travel nobody outside of the UK will know that, so it's a risk you may or may not wish to take.

If its not valid for travel, its not valid for travel lol, no matter if nobody will know, that is until you risk it and get unlucky.

Anyway i posted in the Vietnam forum to ask for advice on Vietnam, bit of a backstory.

But focus on the primary objective which is Vietnam 

5 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

If its not valid for travel, its not valid for travel lol, no matter if nobody will know, that is until you risk it and get unlucky.

Anyway i posted in the Vietnam forum to ask for advice on Vietnam, bit of a backstory.

Here you go then, 13 weeks they say.....

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/vietnam/renew/adult

1 hour ago, 2008bangkok said:

Thats not true, you dont do any of that, you turn up, apply for a passport, from that moment on you cannot use it to travel,

I don’t Think that’s correct as my mate applied for a new passport a while back & we travelled to UK entering via E-gates on 16th May. 

It’s my understanding that your old passport is only cancelled/ invalidated (corner cut off) when you exchange it for the new one 

Edit: Have to say I’m a little concerned now as we’re due to fly back on 30th May… 

Edited by Mike Teavee

15 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

I thought the primary objective was to get a new passport?? You can only stay in Vietnam for one month at a time, as far as I'm aware. So that won't be long enough to get a new passport.

• Thumbs Up 1

Siem Reap?

I believe it's still relatively painless to get visas extensions through an agent.  You'll still have your passport, but cannot travel outside the country.  Spend a couple months exploring the temples.

"We're not supposed to be in Cambodia but that's where I'm going."

Edited by NoDisplayName

Malaysia gives you a 90 day visa exempt entry.  Nice place to chill.

(Edit: I realize this is posted in the Vietnam sub-forum but I'm relatively certain that VN only gives 30 days entry now.)

Edited by TheAppletons
  • Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Edit: Have to say I’m a little concerned now as we’re due to fly back on 30th May… 

Didn't ought to be a problem as there is no border passport check on departure (only airline check-in and they won't know)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

I thought the primary objective was to get a new passport?? You can only stay in Vietnam for one month at a time, as far as I'm aware. So that won't be long enough to get a new passport.

To be fair, i forgot about the time you could stay, last time i heard Vietnam was 90 days which is time.

Maybe Penang is the option

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

To be fair, i forgot about the time you could stay, last time i heard Vietnam was 90 days which is time.

Maybe Penang is the option

Penang is very nice. An especially great place if you like Indain food at Thai street-food prices.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Do a rapid border hop. You do have 6 months left on passport ?? Use VFS official partner of His Majesty’s Passport Office  to get a new passport. You would certainly have proof of passport renewal to do an extension 30 days , chill out somewhere cheap in Thailand , it’s low season , you’ll get decent rentals nearly everywhere. Call VFS first and ask advice .