Expat Father renewing Thai passport for 13 year old daughter...

Hi

I have Full parental control of my daughter (for 4 years+) and today headed to Phuket Passport office in Central with all the correct documents to renew my daughters Thai passport.

I was told extremely politely that I needed a consent form signed by my daughter's mother.

Her mother lives overseas so will need to visit the Thai embassy and get the formed signed/certified and returned with her Thai Id.

Is this really the case, I thought I had "full legal parental control" !

Many thanks,

BBJ.

Did you have papers from the court stating that you have sole custody and did you show these papers to them?

You could go to the amphoe with two neighbours who testify that she is staying with you alone and you are raising her alone, then you take this paper from the amphoe to the passport office and then the other parent isn't needed anymore.

I have no experience how the amphoe reacts to the foreigner though (should still be possible I think, but they might just say "no" and you might have to force them to move their ass), in the case which I experienced, it were 2 Thai parents, the mother took the two grandparents to the amphoe to get this paper, then the signature of the father wasn't required anymore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Did you have papers from the court stating that you have sole custody and did you show these papers to them?

You could go to the amphoe with two neighbours who testify that she is staying with you alone and you are raising her alone, then you take this paper from the amphoe to the passport office and then the other parent isn't needed anymore.

I have no experience how the amphoe reacts to the foreigner though (should still be possible I think, but they might just say "no" and you might have to force them to move their ass), in the case which I experienced, it were 2 Thai parents, the mother took the two grandparents to the amphoe to get this paper, then the signature of the father wasn't required anymore.

Yes I took the papers for sole custody...

That apologised and said the easiest way was to het the mother to sign a consent form...

Which does sound easier than dragging neighbours upto the Amphur I think ...

I renewed my son's Thai passport in Udon Thani before covid, so 2019 or so.

I too have full parental powers and that document along with the usual envelope full of documents was enough for me to renew his passport.

They initially said the same as you, but my wife was in prison, documents supplied to attest to that, and that took care of that objection.

I think it's the usual bureaucratic refusal to do something because it causes less problems for themselves, their taking the easy way for themselves, not you.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 8:10 AM, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Got the consent form, emailed copy, they preferred an original but OKed it and Passport processed in 32 minutes and passport arrived a few days later .... 

Happy it worked out (thanks for updating), but was interested to learn if this was just an administrative misunderstanding or not.  As others stated, I think they should have allowed you to apply for the passport based on the court order for sole custody.