Boy Blues Bar

ohpont

RIP to Boy!

There was a famous, and fantastic Thai guitarist that was playing in CM fairly regularly and then he seemed to fall off the map a while ago. I believe he played with the Beatles a few times, a LONG time ago.

I can't remember his name!! Can anyone help?

Thanks so much Mahseer!

Any idea why Tuk was in bad shape?

I am an "almost professional" harp player and I played with Tuk a couple of times in the Brasserie. He was very gracious, and gave me a lot of room to shape the music we were playing....

Also, I am now wondering what happened to his lady....

They were no longer together and she dot dengue and was in bad condition just after the Brasserie was ending....

She was/is a great vocalist.

Any idea about her?

IIRC the bar was up some stairs close to or in the Night Market. If it is the same person, could not be faulted for his smile and playing. He obviously enjoyed what he did.

RIP.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

I'd like to think he was just having a bad day but might run a lot deeper as he really was struggling to converse and did confess to 'having problems' but didn't enquire further. Would love to see him back to Brasserie form and maybe even take over from Boy now he has passed but not sure he'd be interested so we may be left with just fond memories of both.

I didnt know Tuk's lady so cant help there.

Boy Blues Bar is in Kalare on Changklan but don't know what the future holds.

https://www.facebook.com/p/Boy-Blues-Bar-100063491892947/

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 3:04 AM, charliebadenhop said:

Thanks so much Mahseer!

Tuk played one night at the brassiere at the end of Loy Kroh and the Night bazaar opposite the Le Meridien hotel a few years back .

He played a full set of Allman Brother covers .

Tuk isnt well known outside the music circles and the Allman Brothers are an acquired taste and the Brasserie was an expansive establishment .

I walked past there and there was no one there at all , completely empty , no even one person there 

On 5/27/2023 at 11:22 AM, Burma Bill said:

This maybe so if you are a "southerner" with your roots sunk in Bangkok or the seaside resorts, and not familiar with Lanna entertainment. Boy was well known in Chiang Mai. RIP and keep playing in Paradise. This photo is appearing on Facebook pages:

May be an image of 2 people and guitar

Especially when playing Boy radiated an infectious joy 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/27/2023 at 8:59 AM, Mahseer said:

Boy had inoperable cancer. RIP.

Saw Tuk play an acoustic set in Santitham 6-8 months back and he was in a pretty sad state but in his Brasserie days he was absolutely superb. Tuk and Boy were cousins.

Uncle and nephew.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:05 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Tuk played one night at the brassiere at the end of Loy Kroh and the Night bazaar opposite the Le Meridien hotel a few years back .

He played a full set of Allman Brother covers .

Tuk isnt well known outside the music circles and the Allman Brothers are an acquired taste and the Brasserie was an expansive establishment .

I walked past there and there was no one there at all , completely empty , no even one person there 

I used to know Tuk. To the best of my knowledge Tuk sold the Brasserie something like 10 years ago. It is long gone.  Not sure where you were. The Brasserie was where all those new hotels are now in Wat Ket on the Mae Ping.

Edited by elektrified

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

I used to know Tuk. To the best of my knowledge Tuk sold the Brasserie something like 10 years ago. It is long gone.  Not sure where you were. The Brasserie was where all those new hotels are now in Wat Ket on the Mae Ping.

I don't think that he owned the place , he was guest singer there for the night .

The location was at the end of Loy Kroh on the corner of the Night bazaar on the other side of the road as Le Meridian 

14 hours ago, elektrified said:

To the best of my knowledge Tuk sold the Brasserie something like 10 years ago. It is long gone.  Not sure where you were. The Brasserie was where all those new hotels are now in Wat Ket on the Mae Ping.

Closed in 2015. Did relocate to Chaiyaphum Soi 1 but didn't last long. The original location is now an excellent Thai restaurant called Wanlamun Rim Nam.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/30/2023 at 10:22 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

I don't think that he owned the place , he was guest singer there for the night .

The location was at the end of Loy Kroh on the corner of the Night bazaar on the other side of the road as Le Meridian 

He owned the location on the Mae Ping. His parents owned it before him. He sold it for a substantial sum of money. I vaguely remember, now that you mentioned it, that he did open another place but it was on Chaiyapoom, fairly close to Pratu Taphae. I don't think it lasted more than two months.

I played several gigs with a CM band called 'Nuclear' in 1990 and met both Tuk and Boy casually through my Thai musician friends. I will always remember Boy & his huge smile - he loved playing to an audience. Both he and Tuk were hugely popular in CM. The movie 'Air America' was filmed in CM/Mai Hongson in 1990 while I was there. I am pretty sure (I am old now) that the scenes of Gene (Mel Gibson) at home with his Thai wife were shot at the beautiful old teak house on the Ping River that Tuk's parents had owned that became 'Brasserie' when it opened a year or so later. I'm sad to hear that it is gone too. RIP Boy (Thirasak). "I can still hear him play..." (line stolen from 'Shooting Star')   

Late to the party and off topic a bit but man I remember some beautiful moments lost in song late night at the old Brasserie. It was like being in a dream. Couldn't believe they were playing this.

"I'm your captain, I'm your captain
Though I'm feeling mighty sick
Everybody, listen to me
And return me my ship"