Only In Thailand

Digger

Just had an amazing telephone conversation with Land Rover about buying a car.

I was asking about a current model (lets call it 2003) Discovery which is soon to be replaced by a new model and I recall seeing an ad in the BKK Post about special prices, presumably to clear the current model stocks to await new model. But not quite that simple, the special prices (which are the same as they were 3 years ago at around 2.8M baht) are for the 2002 model not the newer 2003 model:blink:

So understanding this correctly, Land Rover Thailand still have 2002 model cars for sale in the middle of 2004, trying to sell them at the same price that they were selling them at least 2 years ago. Now this car is about to replaced again by a vastly improved model which goes on sale in the UK around September but has already been released picture wise, road tests etc.

Looking at the Uk website of Landrover, they have brought out special editions to clear the 2003 stock and have discounted the price by up to approx: 3,500GBP or around 10% and thats before you negotiate anything further with the dealer.

Is anybody really going to buy a car that has been replaced twice over and still pay the full retail price for it? Is it any wonder that you dont see many Landrovers on the roads of Thailand. This country never ceases to amaze me!!