Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Visa for Thai mother in law to visit the UK

Hello.

I'm looking for some advice on a tourist visa application for my Thai wifes mum to visit the UK this summer. Ive done several tourist visas for my wife and also just done the eextension to the UK spouse visa. However I imagine there is a different approach needed for the mum as we need to prove she's not going to stay for ever etc. Can anyone with experience of this give me a hand. She is retired so no job to guarantee her so im just wondering if its going to be possible or not.

Thanks

Back in the UK

My Thai wife and I took her Mother to UK  in 2019,    My Wife has been to UK    7 or  8 times,   the appliction for the old girl was   very similar to my Wife's application.

The mother is 74,  Retired,  Widowed, has savings in the Bank under 100,000b, lives in Buriram  and   was sucessful in her application, i think at that age  UK  Immigration must realise  they're  not going to disappear and hide  away in the UK, &  the Daughter ( my Mrs)  has a good track record of returning to Thailand 

Edited by actonion
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, actonion said:

My Thai wife and I took her Mother to UK  in 2019,    My Wife has been to UK    7 or  8 times,   the appliction for the old girl was   very similar to my Wife's application.

The mother is 74,  Retired,  Widowed, has savings in the Bank under 100,000b, lives in Buriram  and   was sucessful in her application, i think at that age  UK  Immigration must realise  they're  not going to disappear and hide  away in the UK, &  the Daughter ( my Mrs)  has a good track record of returning to Thailand 

More often than not, UKVI are concerned about the possibility of elderly visitors having NHS treatment in the UK (and possibly not paying for it) as elderly people are possibly more likely to need treatment. Much like some visitors to Thailand, if people can get away with not paying for medical treatment, then they possibly will.

Regarding the application, elderly visitors, just like younger visitors, need to show reasons for them to return to Thailand.  If she has family, property or land, savings, etc it will help.  How is she financially supported now ?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

6 minutes ago, Tony M said:

More often than not, UKVI are concerned about the possibility of elderly visitors having NHS treatment in the UK (and possibly not paying for it) as elderly people are possibly more likely to need treatment. Much like some visitors to Thailand, if people can get away with not paying for medical treatment, then they possibly will.

Regarding the application, elderly visitors, just like younger visitors, need to show reasons for them to return to Thailand.  If she has family, property or land, savings, etc it will help.  How is she financially supported now ?

In our case maybe it helped  us by  getting the old lady health insurance.... She is financially supported   by her  4 sons, & 1 daughter I guess, I've never bothered asking